Help! Lishui controller and LCD vs KT controller and LCD

Dali

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2020
Thanks, Scott, for the very helpful instructions page link - the display in my kit (Yose Power C500 it looks like from ebay seller ysbattery-2012) looks like it can be user set:

Just have to be careful not to go over what the components can take (controller 18A for example).

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks, Scott, for the very helpful instructions page link - the display in my kit (Yose Power C500 it looks like from ebay seller ysbattery-2012) looks like it can be user set:

View attachment 38418

Just have to be careful not to go over what the components can take (controller 18A for example).
Those controllers can just about manage 18 amps, but not for long periods; however, with the Yose hub motor in normal use, it's not possible to get the current for long periods except when going slowly up long hills because of the way motors and controllers work, so you should be OK.

Reactions: Scorpio

Yak

Pedelecer
Mar 20, 2020
So I am a little confused now; when you say the motor is giving its all when you are going slow up hill is that 100% of the level 2 55% setting (according to the level table mentioned on page 1 of this thread) or 100% of the maximum the controller is capable of (or limited to)? If the latter, is the table wrong?
My Lishui motor is speed controlled - it will give max amps capable of/limited to in PAS 2 if I go slow enough. So no need to change to PAS 3 or 4, it won’t help more than PAS 2, at that speed. These higher settings will help you to a overall higher speed before cutting out. Very roughly, PAS 2 is at max at maybe 11kmh and slowly reduces until around 16kmh, PAS 3 stops assistance around 24kmh. This is why I don’t have a throttle - the motor kicks in with more amps the slower I go/the more I struggle, but it’s just my personal choice.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I take the KT current control every day over a speed controller, in PAS1 I can achieve max speed of about 21mph without too much current. Thus saving range and power for hills and a longer ride.

tunznath

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2019
I have fitted the KT controller, lcd3 and wiring loom and I am much happier, the bicycle works exactly like my wifes one that was supplied with kt components, the power is the same, taking it up the track behind our house was great, cannot notice any performance difference, I have yet to do a comparison on battery usage as the previous lishui system did seem to use more battery than my wifes kt system, what I really like is the ability to pedal in PAS 1 &2 at whatever speed I want without the controller limiting me, is it worth all the extra expense, I am not sure, if you are happy with a lishui system, use PAS 3 and above - maybe not in my opinion

Reactions: Scorpio

Dali

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2020
Glad you are happy with your new KT system. Speed controlled sounds like it might be a bit of an aggressive assist. Max current can be changed on both though, by the looks of it, which is good.

I do worry about changing this max current parameter when my kit arrives though (only if too weak on hills) as I have read my battery has a standard discharge current of 10A and a max of 20A for only 30 seconds, so the battery is already pumping out somewhere between this. I will have to learn about battery technology I think.

Dali

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2020
Hi, where did you get you're Lishui controller and LCD . i have had one with no issues for just over a year but now seem to be getting some issues now and need a replacement. Cheers Gaza
Hi Scott,
What kind of issues?

tunznath

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2019
I got my Lishui controller and LCD in a kit with the wheel kit, I am thinking of keeping it for a spare, now that I have converted to KT

Dali

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2020
I got my Lishui controller and LCD in a kit with the wheel kit, I am thinking of keeping it for a spare, now that I have converted to KT
From my very limited experience people seem to prefer current controlled. I wonder why so many kits have Lishui (Yose and Woosh to name but two). Not cost, I don't think, as they seem to be similarly priced when buying separately. Maybe Lishui make both current and speed controlled?

tunznath

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2019
The early Yosepower kits were all KT controlled AFAIK until about November, December 2019, when they changed from KT to Lishui controllers, my wifes yose bike is KT Controlled My yose bike was lishui controlled but is now KT controlled, I prefer KT controlled

scott gaza

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2018
scone
Some how my Lishui display went bad it started to drop in power then after a couple of days There was no power PS: Lishui displays and controllers aren't so easy to buy as there kt counterparts, i hope yose start doing them again as they never put a £20 premium on them.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have seen Lishui controllers and lcd's on AliExpress.

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
I recently swapped my Yose kit from Lushui to KT - not too difficult if you can solder. Remember you need heat shrink on any exposed joints.
Remove built-in Lushui controller, desolder the controller wires from the battery plate and replace with longer leads to the new KT controller :)
0015BD66-E264-4D69-ACF5-858F041117B4.jpeg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Advantages are many places sell KT stuff with a wide range of controllers and displays available

Dali

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2020
In case any prospective buyers reading this think they should avoid Lishui/speed controlled as everybody ends up wanting to change them for KT/current controlled anyway, they don't; at least I don't.

My wife has current controlled and mine is speed controlled. I am very happy with my Lishui as the motor assists me to a comfortable speed then switches off, meaning I get some exercise and save on battery. If it becomes a bit tougher (hill) or I weaken then it causes me to slow down and the motor kicks in again. No fiddling or loss of concentration on the road and my hands never leave the grips. Great.

My wife finds having a current controlled means that power is always applied at any speed, even when you don't want it (on a flat or slight down gradient but not enough to coast for example). She finds she has to fiddle with the gears to make it harder to get some exercise even on setting 1 or fiddle with the display (there is no setting 0 on the King Meter, which even if it did would still count as fiddling, so switching off is the only solution for her which means she loses the useful throttle access when required, or I could insert a switch breaking the +5v on the pedal sensor to mimic setting 0 - faff and and still requires constant attention during a ride).

So I personally would recommend the fit and forget Lishui over KT and I have no plans to switch out my controller and display.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
In case any prospective buyers reading this think they should avoid Lishui/speed controlled as everybody ends up wanting to change them for KT/current controlled anyway, they don't; at least I don't.

My wife has current controlled and mine is speed controlled. I am very happy with my Lishui as the motor assists me to a comfortable speed then switches off, meaning I get some exercise and save on battery. If it becomes a bit tougher (hill) or I weaken then it causes me to slow down and the motor kicks in again. No fiddling or loss of concentration on the road and my hands never leave the grips. Great.

My wife finds having a current controlled means that power is always applied at any speed, even when you don't want it (on a flat or slight down gradient but not enough to coast for example). She finds she has to fiddle with the gears to make it harder to get some exercise even on setting 1 or fiddle with the display (there is no setting 0 on the King Meter, which even if it did would still count as fiddling, so switching off is the only solution for her which means she loses the useful throttle access when required, or I could insert a switch breaking the +5v on the pedal sensor to mimic setting 0 - faff and and still requires constant attention during a ride).

So I personally would recommend the fit and forget Lishui over KT and I have no plans to switch out my controller and display.
You can have it both ways with A KT. It's switchable in the settings!

• Useful
Reactions: xaarone and Dali

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With speed controllers the effort needed is less then current control, speed control gives max current in any assist with the KT you choose the level of current/assist depending on how lazy you really want to be but at all times able to max out to the speed limit. With my KT I mainly choose assist of up to 120w in PAS 1 and only use the other PAS levels for inclines.