Lockdown

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I've just got a new deep freeze now your mum's nicked all the grub...typical :(
millions will have cash flow problems soon so there will be plenty of food to buy.

if you got no money then you will just have to starve to death or turn to crime.

just like a reboot of the 1930s

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I must say I was puzzled but no more now.
I haven't used cash for so long that I didn't think of the hole in the wall.
I don't use much cash either, just paying the window cleaners, gratuities for good service and pound coins for a high pressure washer.

But I think having some cash in hand now is more important than ever, remember when Visa went down a short while ago and people couldn't shop or draw cash?

With Coronavirus disruption and staff off sick that's perhaps more likely to happen again.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • :D
Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am scared of going inside a large shop now.
With the peak just about to reach us, I won't be going anywhere near any shops or receiving any deliveries, if necessary for up to three months. I have everything I need in storage cupboards, fridge and freezer to cover me and maintain my health.

And no, I didn't take part in the mad scramble for stock since for some sixty years I've always carried about two months stock of basics. Realising what was about to happen on hearing the first Covid news, all I had to do was top up a bit and buy plenty of milk and bread to freeze before the mad rush set in.

Reactions: mike killay

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Agree 100% flecc. Anyway I'm going to ask sw to get my shopping, his mum has a freezer that's choco.
I bet he keeps his bike in it.

Reactions: flecc

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
how many people does she have to feed?
I am scared of going inside a large shop now.
With all due respect, Mr Woosh, are you scared because of your state of health, or have you been listening to the mainstream media who have planted doubt in your mind? I have just been to a large Tesco shop nearby, and there were very few people in there, and all was calm. Everyone leaving space as they walked around. (And I paid cash! We don't want a cashless society - think of the poor people in the country).

• Agree
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I self isolate like millions other pensioners with some health conditions, mine is diabetes. Living in a seaside town like Southend, shops ans streets get invariably busy at weekends and public holidays.
I went for my daily one hour walk, streets are deserted but there were still queues outside Marks and Sainsburys'.
They operate on one in/one out and one adult per household.
One good thing though, Southend streets are usually noisy and pavements full of litter but they are pretty quiet and free of litter this afternoon.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
There's a whole host of factors coming into play really. Like woosh I too live in a seaside resort, it can be really choc-a bloc one minute the next absolutely quite as it is now. I have noticed with this lockdown by 8pm it's as if somebody has flicked a switch and everyone's turned off, bit eerie really.
Another thing I've noticed is the increase in wildlife activity, I've been hanging out of the windows all afternoon photographing the wilds birds. The nesting box I put out each year was occupied within 12 hours of my placing it in position. Hopefully a nice brood of Blue Tits on their way in the coming months.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
wild life? in Southend, we have only seagulls and pigeons...

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
I self isolate like millions other pensioners with some health conditions, mine is diabetes. Living in a seaside town like Southend, shops ans streets get invariably busy at weekends and public holidays.
I went for my daily one hour walk, streets are deserted but there were still queues outside Marks and Sainsburys'.
They operate on one in/one out and one adult per household.
One good thing though, Southend streets are usually noisy and pavements full of litter but they are pretty quiet and free of litter this afternoon.

woosh

Do you exercise for an hour because of guidelines or because you just wish to do an hour?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it takes me an hour to walk from my home to the seafront and back. More if I stops at Marks or Sainsburys' on the way back.
I have diabetes for 15 years now, regular walking and a bit of manual work in the workshop keeps my condition from worsening.

• Informative

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
How to concentrate 'sanitizer' up to the ideal 70%
And sterilize masks at 75deg for 30mins.
Now all we need is the Pee stick Covid test :)

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
The BEEB's back catalogue includes many horrors. Are you old enough to remember Ted Ray, who fancied he was the natural successor to Tommie Handley?
I liked Ted Ray.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I liked Ted Ray.
Comedians are very much personal taste of course. I always thought Tommy Handley was rubbish so when Ted Ray said he wanted to follow that path it was an immediate turnoff for me.

I prefer the clever in comedy like Dave Allen and Bob Monkhouse.

Reactions: Croxden

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Comedians are very much personal taste of course. I always thought Tommy Handley was rubbish so when Ted Ray said he wanted to follow that path it was an immediate turnoff for me.

I prefer the clever in comedy like Dave Allen and Bob Monkhouse.
I remember a panel show on the wireless where comedians could banter. Ted Ray was the quickest and smartest, Tommy Trinder not so much.

• Agree