Lockdown

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Utter nonsense and a complete non sequitur. This is not about what the store is offering for sale, of course the public cannot buy what the store does not sell them. This is about the police illegally interfering in what they can buy.

The public can buy anything they like while at the supermarket as the government acknowledged yesterday after reprimanding Northamptonshire's Chief Constable for thinking otherwise and acting inappropriately. Why do you think he had to apologise?

But let me educate you further. I can drive to the supermarket, get out of my car, not join the queue outside and not buy anything. Then get back into my car and drive home, all completely legally with no possibility of a penalty.

I doubt you know why.
Let me try to explain another way flecc. Because sadly on this occasion you're just not getting the gist of it.
Supermarkets had a whole load of trouble when all this virus stuff first broke out because shoppers were allowed to waltz in and buy up whatever they wanted and by any amount.

FYI large stores saw a 20% increase in sales during the first week or two of panic buying, and apparently have now made so much money they could shut down for the rest of the year.
The end result was trouble in the aisles and when store security can't handle it the Police are called. The authorities are called in not to peer into shoppers trolleys (although they have a right to do so) but to ensure that peace is maintained and disturbances quelled when greedy shoppers try to bend the rules that supermarkets have ever right to impose on. Supermarkets are not public or municipal buildings, they are private establishments just like our own homes. You can't do what you like in my home, nor can you in a store,

Northamptonshire's Police acted correctly but were forced to back down because...well come on now flecc I'm sure you can suck eggs far better than me!
I too can jump in my car, drive to a supermarket and drive back. I'm not because I'm not an idiot and neither are you so it's win win.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Let me try to explain another way flecc. Because sadly on this occasion you're just not getting the gist of it.
Supermarkets had a whole load of trouble when all this virus stuff first broke out because shoppers were allowed to waltz in and buy up whatever they wanted and by any amount.

FYI large stores saw a 20% increase in sales during the first week or two of panic buying, and apparently have now made so much money they could shut down for the rest of the year.
The end result was trouble in the aisles and when store security can't handle it the Police are called. The authorities are called in not to peer into shoppers trolleys (although they have a right to do so) but to ensure that peace is maintained and disturbances quelled when greedy shoppers try to bend the rules that supermarkets have ever right to impose on. Supermarkets are not public or municipal buildings, they are private establishments just like our own homes. You can't do what you like in my home, nor can you in a store,

Northamptonshire's Police acted correctly but were forced to back down because...well come on now flecc I'm sure you can suck eggs far better than me!
I too can jump in my car, drive to a supermarket and drive back. I'm not because I'm not an idiot and neither are you so it's win win.
Another complete non sequitur, not addressing what I posted.

You are clearly a fantasist. The police were not called into the supermarket in question to keep order, some officers wrongly thought they could check shelves for non essential goods and they were subsequently reprimanded after huge public protest

And contrary to what you posted above, Northamptonshire's chief constable was very wrong, was reprimanded and forced to apologise, admitting that his choice of what to say was clumsy.

This also happened to Derbyshire's chief constable and now South Yorkshire has also apologised and corrected officers for exceeding their authority.

So please stop trying to convince me that these things never happened, they did and they were very wrong.

As I've posted, this coronavirus regulation should never have been made by the government since it is pointless. I know I'm right in that since I've been joined by ex home secretary David Blunkett and retired Supreme Court judge Jeremy Sumption, one of our finest legal minds, who concur in every detail with what I've said.

And I noticed you avoided answering why I can drive to and from the supermarket without buying anything and without breaking any law.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: Bobajob and POLLY

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
lmao :p

Reactions: flecc and Woosh

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Another complete non sequitur, not addressing what I posted.

You are clearly a fantasist. The police were not called into the supermarket in question to keep order, some officers wrongly thought they could check shelves for non essential goods and they were subsequently reprimanded after huge public protest

And contrary to what you posted above, Northamptonshire's chief constable was very wrong, was reprimanded and forced to apologise, admitting that his choice of what to say was clumsy.

This also happened to Derbyshire's chief constable and now South Yorkshire has also apologised and corrected officers for exceeding their authority.

So please stop trying to convince me that these things never happened, they did and they were very wrong.

As I've posted, this coronavirus regulation should never have been made by the government since it is pointless. I know I'm right in that since I've been joined by ex home secretary David Blunkett and retired Supreme Court judge Jeremy Sumption. one of our finest legal minds, who concur in every detail with what I've said.

And I noticed you avoided answering why I can drive to and from the supermarket without buying anything and without breaking any law.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Just for information purposes there are parts of Poland at the moment where the police are checking people are at home 24/7 they knock on the door and the residents have to show themselves at the window also they are not even allowed out in their own gardens, so let us not get to hysterical about what is happening over here with the police.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Of course it doesn't, insurance only covers the things we don't claim for.

That's why I only insure my car because I have to and my building without contents because the cost of that is minimal.

Over my lifetime I've saved a small fortune though being my own insurance company.

• Agree
Reactions: POLLY

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Come on Flecc, let us out of our quandary, just why can you legally go to the Supermarket and not buy anything?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Of course it doesn't, insurance only covers the things we don't claim for.
same thing happens with bike warranty.
It lists things that are least likely to be replaced. All usual items that you may have to buy in the warranty service are classified as 'consumables' and excluded from their warranty.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just for information purposes there are parts of Poland at the moment where the police are checking people are at home 24/7 they knock on the door and the residents have to show themselves at the window also they are not even allowed out in their own gardens, so let us not get to hysterical about what is happening over here with the police.
I see no signs at all that anyone is getting hysterical and I'm sure ex Supreme Court judge Jeremy Sumption isn't in his harsh and fully justified criticisms of both the police and the government's part in this law.

When someone of his stature, and an ex home secretary who was in charge of our entire UK police for many years criticise in the ways they did, something is clearly very wrong.

Poland is entirely irrelevant. For decades they were a police state under the USSR and old habits die hard.

We are not a police state and police by consent in line with the Peel Charter on police ethics.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Not like you to name call flecc..shame. You keep asking me why you 'can' do something ? I don't remember saying you can't. But I'll run with it, lets see....why can you drive a vehicle when your government request you don't.
You have health issues and cannot walk where you need to go, say a pharmacist for instance. You need to run errands for someone in a similar position. You are a key worker. You are using your vehicle to ferry health workers to and from work. You must leave home for security reasons relating yourself or the community as a whole.
I could think of a few dozen more, but if you are asking why can you visit a supermarket without making a purchase I must say I wasn't aware there was a rule that forbids you from doing so...you've certainly taught me something today, thank you:)

• Disagree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Come on Flecc, let us out of our quandary, just why can you legally go to the Supermarket and not buy anything?
Not just me, anyone.

The coronavirus control regulation has a very long list of things we can go out to get. The very last item is money. It doesn't specify when, how, how much or how often.

Therefore I can at any time jump into my car, drive to Sainsburys, ignore the queue of shoppers and draw money from the cash machine in the outer wall, then drive away again.

All underwritten in law.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I think that we must take a balanced view of the Police action.
Personally I have not been near any shops so I don't know which ones are closed.
The Tesco Hypermarket in Fforestfach Swansea sells just about everything.
Want an inner tube for your bike? polish for you car, clothes plants and flowers, mobile phones, computers, sat navs?
They sell it.
So, my guess is that the owners of shops dedicated to selling just a restricted line of goods, florists, Pound world, card shops, garden centres etc. are probably mightily aggrieved if they see Supermarkets selling stuff that they are not allowed to.
Probably the Police were within the law, particularly if they have had a lot of complaints from disgruntled shopkeepers forced to close their premises.
My guess is that we have not heard the end of this.

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: Amoto65 and flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my mum goes shopping 3-4 times a day. her freezer lid wont even close its that rammed pmsl

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
TBH I don't give a toss if Fred down the road feels he really must walk Rover twice around the block or he'll poop all over the Axminister, go ahead be my guest he won't be giving me the pox if he catches it, my conscience is clear.
As for plod looking in my shopping basket I'll be double sure I only pick up two packs of Durex next time, don't want to look a plonker!

Reactions: MikelBikel

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Therefore I can at any time jump into my car, drive to Sainsburys, ignore the queue of shoppers and draw money from the cash machine in the outer wall, then drive away again.
I must say I was puzzled but no more now.
I haven't used cash for so long that I didn't think of the hole in the wall.

Reactions: Croxden and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
my mum goes shopping 3-4 times a day. her freezer lid wont even close its that rammed pmsl
how many people does she have to feed?
I am scared of going inside a large shop now.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
none there is enough food in her freezer for 4 ppl to last a month lol.

she does not need to buy anything but plod not going to stop her walking around a supermarket pmsl.

she nicks it if she can anyways :D

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Just had a text message from one my contacts in the giant Tesco's near. Message titled 'Pandemonium'
Hectic scenes on the shop floor, shoppers packing in like sardines everyone pushing and shoving.
200 shopper limit at any one time greatly exceeded with security staff unable to maintain security.
Where's the Police for Christ sake...crackpots.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
none there is enough food in her freezer for 4 ppl to last a month lol.

she does not need to buy anything but plod not going to stop her walking around a supermarket pmsl.

she nicks it if she can anyways :D
I've just got a new deep freeze now your mum's nicked all the grub...typical :(