Lockdown

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As I said, we will have to agree to disagree. I’m sorry if I made the assumption that you seem to know more than all of the UK authorities on how to combat a new world threat.
It's countries like Germany, South Korea and a few others who know far more than all the UK authorities on how to combat the virus, as their far smaller death rates show.

I only know more about how to protect myself and the others around me where I am, by tailored measures to suit the circumstances. That involves breaking the odd rule that threatens the safety of myself and others if complied with, which seems to upset those like yourself. So you disagree without any knowledge of how I am threatened by a rule.

So be it.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
I’m in total lockdown because of my age, so looking at videos of how cycle lanes should look like this one. Santa Monica Beach cycle ride
Ha. I lived on 4th just back from Venice beach in the 80s - used to cycle down that very lane (literally the one in that picture) - with my walkman on listening to ZZ top or something similar. Ah - sweet memories.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
If that had been enacted early enough we could have had Johnson and Trump locked up before they managed to do so much harm.
Sweden has had no lockdown - death rates so far no worse than here. It will be interesting when all the dust settles to see the facts of all this.

• Agree
Reactions: Bobajob and flecc

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
the world economy is being destroyed at the end of the day nothing is going to be the same again for a very long time this is going to be the next grate depression and last at least 50 years.

and it was all going to go bang anyway i just see this virus as the excuse for it all.

and what do expect when in 2009 when it all went bang what did we do borrow 3 times the national debt in 10 years.

governments are like kids with a unlimited credit cards pay off the interest and rack up the total debt. and forget about it.

and now the $hit is really going to hit the fan this time pmsl
We'll see. Public opinion would have lynched our politicians if they'd not gone for full lockdown - though Sweden has not and so far not showing any dramatic problems over there.

As for the economy - maybe we'll drop all this green nonsense and see the value of fossil fuels - have you seen the details of the 'green economy' the democrats are into? Utter madness. And the car manufacturers in Germany are howling for the EU to drop the latest green restrictions on new cars. Let's hope eh?

Glad to see Porsche come out and say they have 'no date' for any electrification of the 911. That's the spirit.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
I took my one form of exercise today on my hard tail 2015 Yamaha Haibike on my own.

Normally I only use my Haibike to commute to work and back, so riding for another purpose was a bit of a novelty.

I did a 16 mile loop from my home and once on the tracks close to my house met only a very few other people, all on foot, and we were respectful of each other and kept a good distance apart.

I know my patch so could use woodland that allows only very limited access and the bits I used I saw no one.

Nearing the end of my ride I had 82% of my battery remaining and had to drop into my home town valley and climb the steepest route out and repeat on some other hills a few times and probably about four miles of my total using high assist levels to get my battery down to under 70%, a level I prefer to leave the battery when it is not in use, a little annoying.

My 10 mile road ride back from work usually reduces my battery level to 65% which I find is a good level to leave it ready to be charged up the next day or week or several weeks.

This regime seems to be working as my original 400Wh battery is still in excellent shape as it enters its 6th year of service after 11,884 miles.

View attachment 34624
Private Woodland track
View attachment 34625
Tree in blossom
View attachment 34626
More woodland blooms with not a soul around
View attachment 34627
Views towards the North Downs
View attachment 34629
Ridge track with views
View attachment 34630
Same high track with views towards The North Downs in the distance and lake below.
View attachment 34631
Descending the valley side
View attachment 34632
More blossom and another view
View attachment 34633
At the lakeside looking back towards the ridge whence I have come. Shakespeare eat your heart out.
View attachment 34634
View back on the ride home. Spot the bunny!

Up until now my one form of exercise a day has been taking my two young adult children for a walk in the same countryside and I think it is to that I will return.

The bike can go back in the garage ready for my next trip to work on the 16th of April.
I've got a 2014 Haibike with a 400kwh battery and also have done around 6000 miles - and the battery is still excellent - even though I've got a dongle on it to release full speed when required. Good quality kit.

Love your ride too - what scenery. I'm in the Surrey hills so we get similar here.

Reactions: georgehenry

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Sweden has had no lockdown - death rates so far no worse than here. It will be interesting when all the dust settles to see the facts of all this.
Agreed. Lockdown hasn't been going long enough here to have an impact on our death rates yet; hopefully that will be quite soon. Similarly we can't yet see effect of lack of lockdown in Sweden on their death rate. It'll be a long time before the dust settles, and by then there will have been lots of massaging of the data; with plenty of dust left to stir up and throw in peoples eyes.

• :D
  • Agree
Reactions: POLLY and Amoto65

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I'm also really looking forward to that outcome. I won't be at all surprised if they fare as well or even better than us.

Reactions: OxygenJames

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Glad to see Porsche come out and say they have 'no date' for any electrification of the 911. That's the spirit.
Although I'm a fan of e-cars, I'm also opposed to electrifying existing models. E-cars should be designed from the base up as Porsche/Audi have done with the Taycan and Audi e-tron GT, and existing good i.c. cars left as they are.

• Informative
Reactions: OxygenJames

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
...though Sweden has not and so far not showing any dramatic problems over there.

There are also growing concerns for the country’s older population after a third of Sweden’s municipalities reported confirmed or suspected cases of the virus in nursing homes, where distressed staff have warned publicly of a lack of protective equipment. One third of Stockholm’s nursing homes are affected.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's countries like Germany, South Korea and a few others who know far more than all the UK authorities on how to combat the virus, as their far smaller death rates show.
Flecc is old enough and wise enough to make his own judgement and has often weighed his thought process on life and how he has been practically accident free, so respect to him.

According to the Institute for Health metrics and Evaluation in Seattle they predict the UK to be the worst hit EU country, they have predicted the following mortality from major countries in trouble at the mo from CV.
The predicted total is for August 21 date line, the world has another 4 months to go yet before even thinking of this as being far from over.

Predicted/ Current.

US 82k/ 13k.
UK 66k/ 6.2k.
It 20k/ 17k.
Sp 19k/ 14.5k.
Fr 15k/ 10.3k.
Ger 9k/ 2k.

Both Belguim and Netherlands are similar to Germany.
Iran so far 4k and China if figures can be trusted 3.3k thus far.

Last edited:
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
UK 66k/ 6.2k.
I reckon the first/current wave will bring about 20,000 deaths.
The second wave? difficult to estimate. Because we do less testing, UK death tolls will be determined mainly by how long the lockdown will last.

• Informative

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
Flecc is old enough and wise enough to make his own judgement and has often weighed his thought process on life and how he has been practically accident free, so respect to him.

According to the Institute for Health metrics and Evaluation in Seattle they predict the UK to be the worst hit EU country, they have predicted the following mortality from major countries in trouble at the mo from CV.
The predicted total is for August 21 date line, the world has another 4 months to go yet before even thinking of this as being far from over.

Predicted/ Current.

US 82k/ 13k.
UK 66k/ 6.2k.
It 20k/ 17k.
Sp 19k/ 14.5k.
Fr 15k/ 10.3k.
Ger 9k/ 2k.

Pardon my ignorance, but why are they predicting the UK death rates to go up tenfold, while other European countries see relatively small increases percentage wise?
What's the criteria?

Reactions: Amoto65 and Ocsid

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Hong Kong death figures so far = 4, You pay a heavy price for democracy.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Pardon my ignorance, but why are they predicting the UK death rates to go up tenfold, while other European countries see relatively small increases percentage wise?
What's the criteria?
At present, if you look at 20,000 deaths in the first wave, the economic cost of CV so far is about £100 billions or £5 millions per death. We can't carry on very long bearing that cost.
We will be under intense pressure to lift up the lockdown as soon as possible, possibly in June or July.
the problem is we will not have time to test all our residents before June/July.
So we'll leave a large reservoir of CV which will flare up when winter comes.
It is quite clear that the more we test, the better we can size up the size of the human reservoir of CV in the UK.

• Informative

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
At present, if you look at 20,000 deaths in the first wave, the economic cost of CV so far is about £100 billions or £5 millions per death. We can't carry on very long bearing that cost.
We will be under intense pressure to lift up the lockdown as soon as possible, possibly in June or July.
the problem is we will not have time to test all our residents before June/July.
It is quite clear that the more we test, the better we can size up the size of the human reservoir of CV in the UK.
Hopefully a vaccine might be close by the time winter comes.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012

Predicted/ Current.

US 82k/ 13k.
UK 66k/ 6.2k.
It 20k/ 17k.
Sp 19k/ 14.5k.
Fr 15k/ 10.3k.
Ger 9k/ 2k.

Yes - and to remind ourselves - a normal flu year kills around 17,000. 27,000 died in 2018.

When this is all over - we will see if it was worth trashing the economy for the lives saved - or how many more will die now that we can't afford the health system we're used to.

• Agree

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
That still doesn't answer why we will suffer much higher death rates than the rest of Europe.
Aren't they going through the same thing?

Reactions: POLLY