Lockdown

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Awe Great!!

That will be of immense comfort to the families of the 1000+ who have lost loved ones today. Lets tell them "its encouraging" !
I think we should also relay that `good news` to those that are presently in ICU, 50% of whom won`t make it.
But Hey-Ho lets tell them "it`s encouraging"

Shocking post.
It's encouraging to the group (ie the whole nation) as a whole.

What's shocking about that?

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
I only repeat the findings of WHO. 4.3% of those who got infected will die.
At the moment, 10% of those hospitalised in the UK with CV have died.
How many do you think are going to get infected if we do nothing?
We don't know. We don't have all the data to be able to make those kinds of conclusions. Which is why comparing the final results with Sweden is going to be very very interesting.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
We don't know. We don't have all the data to be able to make those kinds of conclusions. Which is why comparing the final results with Sweden is going to be very very interesting.
it is so infectious that WHO reckons that 80% of us will get it if exposed to it.
Petentially, 2.2 millions of us could die of it.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Are we really sure that a vaccine is actually going to be any use?
I've seen studies on the Flu jab. Many of them question their effectiveness, and at least one randomised trial showed that the there was a HIGHER mortality rate in the vaccinated group than the non vaccinated one!!
Bill gates is already constructing 7 factories to produce the top 7 candidates for a vaccine. He knows that only one or two of them will be any good but by constructing the factories now he can hit the ground running when they know which ones work. They are investing billions in this.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
it is so infectious that WHO reckons that 80% of us will get it if exposed to it.
Petentially, 2.2 millions of us could die of it.
Nobody is predicting those numbers anymore. Look at the data. Italy is peaking. We will soon. We're looking at tens of thousands worst case is the way I read things.

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
BazP said:
As I said, we will have to agree to disagree. I’m sorry if I made the assumption that you seem to know more than all of the UK authorities on how to combat a new world threat.

Flecc replied.....
I only know more about how to protect myself and the others around me where I am, by tailored measures to suit the circumstances. That involves breaking the odd rule that threatens the safety of myself and others if complied with, which seems to upset those like yourself. So you disagree without any knowledge of how I am threatened by a rule.
—————————————————————————————————————————————————
I agree with Flecc and repeat my earlier view that The Govt gives guidance and makes rules to accommodate the lowest common denominators in society (of which there are plenty judging by pictures in the press), who are either incapable of seeing or understanding risk. These blanket rules take no account of specific situations where the local risk is higher than a short journey away to more open spaces.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
IMHE prediction is that the UK will see 3k fatalities per day by end of April before coming down, we are not there yet but the numbers are rising to nearly 1k per day.
Whether the predictions are accurate we will not know until we get to the end of August, maybe their prediction is that unlike the rest of Europe we are only in a voluntary lock down and too many people are still milling about and going out.
Italy , France & Spain etc , etc they are enforcing it.

The younger generation think they are immune but currently in Italy a lot of case are now the young.

• Agree
Reactions: POLLY and Woosh

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Are we really sure that a vaccine is actually going to be any use?
I've seen studies on the Flu jab. Many of them question their effectiveness, and at least one randomised trial showed that the there was a HIGHER mortality rate in the vaccinated group than the non vaccinated one!!
The Flu jab is targeted for a specific strain long before what turns out to be the dominant strain is known, here with the CV we know specifically the target. It is an immense help knowing what your working on.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Nobody is predicting those numbers anymore. Look at the data. Italy is peaking. We will soon. We're looking at tens of thousands worst case is the way I read things.
it's peaking because of the lockdown.
You can't lockdown 65 millions of us for long.
As soon as the lockdown is lifted, it will be back, then more lockdown and so on.
The virus will become endemic in the population and remain infectious like the common cold, except it kills 50 times more people than influenza and more infectious than influenza.
We need a treatment and a vaccine as soon as possible. Until then, the number of daily death toll will continue to rise, wave after wave.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yeah. True. And you know what industry has been hit really hard?

Burglary.
Indeed, all crime. And not a word on assistance for the criminals from the Chancellor. They are even being thrown out of prison early, denying them food, board and lodgings.

Maybe we'll be seeing a human rights case in the Supreme Court.

Reactions: Croxden and xena

Nosweat

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2019
Almost 40 people died from it yesterday just in my local hospital. They have people in their 20s and 30s with it in ITU. Numbers of deaths are still doubling every few days. I don't remember flu behaving like that, at least not in the past 100 years. There's a reason people have been instructed to avoid any gatherings and to stay at home unless absolutely essential.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Well it was vintage. If this crisis goes on for year or more the BEEB will be reduced to repeats of "Tommy Handley" and "Terry and June".
Perhaps they should re-release Vera Lynn's 'We'll meet again' although my own favourite is 'Over my shoulder'
only I change the words around bit and create my own tasteless ver.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Perhaps they should re-release Vera Lynn's 'We'll meet again' although my own favourite is 'Over my shoulder'
only I change the words around bit and create my own tasteless ver.
The BEEB's back catalogue includes many horrors. Are you old enough to remember Ted Ray, who fancied he was the natural successor to Tommie Handley?

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Almost 40 people died from it yesterday just in my local hospital. They have people in their 20s and 30s with it in ITU. Numbers of deaths are still doubling every few days. I don't remember flu behaving like that, at least not in the past 100 years. There's a reason people have been instructed to avoid any gatherings and to stay at home unless absolutely essential.
Where was this? 100 years ago Spanish flu killed between 50 and 75 million.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and POLLY

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
The BEEB's back catalogue includes many horrors. Are you old enough to remember Ted Ray, who fancied he was the natural successor to Tommie Handley?
Yes I remember Ted Ray, for a moment I though he was the chap who would walk on stage and suddenly do a somersault but I think that was Dickie Henderson.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Awe Great!!

That will be of immense comfort to the families of the 1000+ who have lost loved ones today. Lets tell them "its encouraging" !
I think we should also relay that `good news` to those that are presently in ICU, 50% of whom won`t make it.
But Hey-Ho lets tell them "it`s encouraging"

Shocking post.
This was NOT a shocking post in the sense you meant. I agree (and I'm sure Woosh does) that it is shocking we are in the position we are, and that 1000s of people are dead, dying and bereaved; especially as many of these could have been saved by earlier government action.

However, it is encouraging that it doesn't look as if it will 10000s of people next week or the week after, as it so easily might have been. Still fingers crossed ....