Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
They did it successfully for 4 million years before police were invented. It's why we are still here.
That's why gun shops were classed as 'essential services' in Texas.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
our government has no other choice than imposing a lockdown because our ministers can't just isolate the carriers.
I've no problem with that, indeed I support it and practice as perfect isolation as is possible.

My problem is with idiotic, unthinking, unnecessary, unrealistic enforcement and Matt Hancock's stupidity in encouraging that with his childish unenforceable threats.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
My problem is with idiotic, unthinking, unnecessary, unrealistic enforcement and Matt Hancock's stupidity in encouraging that with his childish unenforceable threats.
he tried to answer a question put to him by Sophy Ridge on Sky News without thinking much about it.
Is sunbathing against the rules?
um.. yes.
he should have taken time to explain the difficulty of policing parks and green spaces at the weekend and ask nicely for cooperation. Now he's turned millions of city dwellers against him.
Two nice parks in London that I know quite well: Victoria Park and London Fields. Both are shut.
Why? Not because of CV but because of police manpower.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
he should have taken time to explain the difficulty of policing parks and green spaces at the weekend and ask nicely for cooperation. Now he's turned millions of city dwellers against him.
Two nice parks in London that I know quite well: Victoria Park and London Fields. Both are shut.
Why? Not because of CV but because of police manpower.
And the hugely popular Brockwell park in South London, the closure of which by the council causing huge anger among that public.

Meanwhile my Croydon Council and our supporting FSW organisation that I'm on the committee of are encouraging by emailing and publicity full use of our nature reserve's woods and meadows for exercise and leisure with separation maintained. Indeed we are asking the public to take more photographs for entry into our annual photo competition, thus giving them an interest and something to do. Matt Hancock and his ilk should use that as a constructive example of how to helpfully advise the public.

This webpage has photos taken by previous winners and shortlisted entrants.

Last edited:

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Last time I got on a bus was back in January, everybody on it was coughing and sneezing. I remember texting my other half saying I'd likely end up in A&E the way the day was going.
Exactly one week later I was Ill, still not sure what it was but it lasted two whole weeks and I can kick a cold into touch in three days. I'd love to know if I caught the virus, it was around then but just not recognised as such.

As for lockdown myself & partner decided over a month ago to seal ourselves indoors. I see lockdowns as a nuisance no more, I just won't let it get to me. If I have to stay inside for a whole year I'll do it.
You will only know if you got it when these much heralded blood test kits are passed off for use. I wonder if they are available from elsewhere. It would be great to find out you had had it earlier and now had some antibodies ready for when the lockdown is lifted.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
You will only know if you got it when these much heralded blood test kits are passed off for use. I wonder if they are available from elsewhere. It would be great to find out you had had it earlier and now had some antibodies ready for when the lockdown is lifted.
But if it not reliable then it can be worse than useless
you end up saying - WHooo - I've had it so I'm OK but it was wrong - then you get it and infect your wife/Nan and they die

or if I get it and I infect my wife - who is vulnerable and could die
but I can't see her in hospital because I will be in quarantine
and I can't go to the funeral because I will be in quarantine
I just stay at home
alone
for the rest of my life

without her

over all I would rather wait until we have one that works

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Yes, I think you have summed it up there, Soundwave. Our 'PM' standing there behind a lectern with 'Save the NHS' on it makes me want to throw up. They've done their best over the years to sell it off. For what it's worth, three close members of my family have died in the last three months of 'pneumonia'. With hindsight, and knowing what we know now, we survivors are all wondering just what it was......
And in 2016, I think, there was an NHS Pandemic readiness exercise which ended up with a recommendation to stock up on those very essentials they are now short of! Nothing was done by the Goverment, obsessed with Brexit as it was then.
Oh Bugger, I have just reminded myself that as we crawl out of the coronavirus hole we still have another to fall into!

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I believe one or two people on these forums had similar earlier on this year, as did a mate of mine who is normally tough as old boots.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I think that a lot of people on this forum are giving the general public more credit than they deserve for being conscientious citizens.
I’ve had people passing me on my bike within a couple of feet, in both directions.
Today in Aldi people were brushing passed me in the aisles, there were no controls on the door and in the shop only tape on the floor at the tills. On arriving home I threw my clothes in the wash and had a shower.
Last week the Scunthorpe Cycle club announced its weekend ride to Cleethorpes with fish and chips until it was cancelled by public opinion.
So, the bubble that I live in seems at odds to the ones people on this thread are in. I don’t want the irresponsible people that I have come across shortening my time with my kids and grand kids.
I would be happy if Hancock ordered a complete lockdown, which he may yet do, and I‘m self employed. This was enforced when I was trapped in Spain a couple of weeks ago. When two policemen with guns tell you to get back in your hotel, you jump.
The last time people were dying at this rate we were asked to go to war, this time it’s just to stay at home.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
People's lives are at stake.
It is quite reasonable for the Police to separate groups and send them home.
I heard that in Spain, if you are found outside your house without a good excuse, you get arrested and they won't let you go until you pay the fine.
If you have been caught before for a violation, you stay in jail and have to go to court.

Reactions: tommie and Amoto65

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Every country deals with it's people in their own way. Did you hear the story about the Philippines ? where the poor and hungry were kicking up a din in the street demanding to be fed. The Governor/President or whatever he dictates to be ordered his forces to go out and give them a good hiding and disperse them.
They ran for it then later returned, the following order was to shoot the lot ! I wonder if our government would go that far ?