Help! Looking for an alternative to Swytch and would appreciate some advice in Conversion Kits General Discussion.

SafetyThird

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2023
Hello all, I've recently been considering a Swytch conversion kit for one of my bikes. Looking for reviews etc led me to this site and I'm currently reading threads to see if there's a better alternative given the time it takes to get a Swytch kit and the dubious customer support I'm reading about.

I'd appreciate some suggestions of what alternatives might be out there. The bike I'd be converting is a Thorn Raven with a Rohloff rear hub, which is why I'm looking at a front wheel conversion. It's all steel tube and has a steel fork and 26" wheels. It's set up as a touring bike with pannier rack and bar bag, though the bar bag is on an extender because I have On-One Geoff handle bars. I'm 57 and while I'm very active, over the past few years I've become fairly unfit and have developed a knee issue so I'm not running these days. Cycling is a good option to try and rebuild some fitness.

However, I live on a farm in very hilly north Devon, you need to be fit just to go anywhere with our hills. I'm looking at the e-bike conversion so that I can get some assistance on hills while being able to turn it off when on the flat so I can work on my fitness but still make it up hills with assistance when needed to save getting off and walking. I also would like to use it for picking up shopping from the local town to save using the car sometimes but I don't currently because with the extra weight of shopping in the panniers it's just more than I can manage getting home up the hills.

Range wise, I think up to 30-40 miles max would be plenty for shopping and local days out as I wouldn't use the power all the time. When I've regained some fitness, I'd like to go back to doing some touring again so would just remove the battery and change out the front wheel for the one I currently have with a Schmitt dynohub to give me lights at night and charge my phone, so a kit that's modular and with easily removed parts is wanted.

I'm pretty capable mechanically, I built up my old triathlon bike from scratch components in the past, I'm renovating an old car and know electrics, having built amplifiers etc from components as well so I don't expect there to be anything I can't manage if I were to buy either a kit or individual parts. I have a pretty well equipped workshop on the farm.

So, any suggestions of kits that might fit the bill would be appreciated, along with personal opinions on the Swytch kit as well as I'm on their waiting list and so like the look of what they're offering, it's just the backup and order time that seems a bit worrying.

Many thanks, Jay.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

hub motors are no good for steep hills

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

SafetyThird

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2023
The bike has an eccentric bottom bracket for chain tensioning because of the Rohloff hub, so rear hub or mid drive motors can’t be fitted. It’s front hub motor or nothing I think.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Depends how steep and how long , my bafang cst had no issue with Ditchling beacon climb averaging 9% and with 16% in a couple of places.

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
this has more bb options.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
  • Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Especially when you need to get up them ASAP! Legal rated 250W hub drives anwyay. Sod it, I'm never buying one.

@Bonzo Banana keeps going on about how wonderful hub drives are, complains about awful mid drives.... all while powering about using a 500W hub driven bike. Of course he's not going to have much problem getting up hills with an illegal 500W rated motor. I'd have been completely stuffed the other night, if I'd converted using any 250W rated legal hub. A younger, stronger and fitter cyclist using a legal hub, might have managed to escape being "grabbed" by a thug giving chase uphill. It's a good thing I converted my Dahon Helios P8 folding bike, using a BBS01B.

Legal hub drives clearly aren't suitable for everyone. I don't think I'm ever buying one:

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/bike-chased-late-friday-night-by-loons.45686/

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

that will kick a sur rons ass , it will also destroy everything at warp speed some one should put one in a washing machine with some bricks in it :p

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

How does a Tesla get up hills then? I have hub-motor bikes that would leave yours for dead up any hill you choose, and what's more, I'll give you a chance by not pedalling.

Don't forget that legal hub-motors won every race at the Bristol hill climbing races.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
How does a Tesla get up hills then? I have hub-motor bikes that would leave yours for dead up any hill you choose, and what's more, I'll give you a chance by not pedalling.

Don't forget that legal hub-motors won every race at the Bristol hill climbing races.
How many amps would a legal Bafang CST rated 250W need, in order to match the Bafang BBS01B's climbing ability? Assume the BBS01B controller is limited to 15A.

I was going to convert my Dahon Espresso with a rear hub. I don't think I'll bother now. I'd get duffed up and stabbed by thugs, and my bike'd get "grabbed" on a hill.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
tesla use mid drive motors front and rear and loads on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225513000118?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338749392&toolid=20006&customid=GB_131090_225513000118.145628799569~1924592780607-g_Cj0KCQjw8NilBhDOARIsAHzpbLDI-9_Irlcrnn8ikHfAaoZ2BxUo7yMGv-Cb6D4KpS1TMX9xQL1oFbAaAsoSEALw_wcB

and if you want a race on the flat i can hit 40mph with 120rpm from my legs on top the only thing i cant beat is that fkn bafang hd i only got 20 amp controller and a shunt mod to the batt is not a option :rolleyes:

this is his new bike just the controller is fooked.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
wont go very far going 200mph tho will it battle bots has a 3 min limit cos the batts are shite.

4-500amp 52v limit i think tho you can run the amps as high as you can but wepon speed must not be faster than 250mph.

if you have a batt to run at 52v and 5000 amps it will be like 8000nm and would destroy everything :p

you want you tube views you blow $hit up or risk ur life :p

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
Before the OP gets fed up with all this willie-waving, here are the choices I think he has, bearing in mind that a Rohloff hub rules out a mid-drive and a rear hub motor:-

1) Cytronex - Well made and very neat installation. Unique controller integrated into bottle battery means that you are tied to them for spares or repairs. Limited functions and it's rather expensive for what it is.
2) Yosepower - Good value for money. I have fitted two rear hub kits and they perform well.
Good email support from China. Cables are very long and a bit of a challenge to install neatly.
3 day shipping from UK warehouse.
3) Woosh - Well specified kits and cabling made to suit vendors bike. Excellent support and based in UK.

All can supply front hub kits.
I would suggest that buying from Woosh would be the best option.
With a choice of motors they should be able to recommend a motor suitable for your needs. Hopefully Woosh will be along shortly as he regularly contributes.
From all I have read here and elswhere about Swytch I'm glad I didn't buy one of their kits.

Last edited:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Range wise, I think up to 30-40 miles max would be plenty for shopping and local days out as I wouldn't use the power all the time
Welcome SafetyThird

Please visit Woosh Web site. At reasonable price they offer kits and advice customers according to your needs.

Yose Power if you want something decent but also cheap.

I use front hub motor and have no problems on hills while riding on road. Off road is a different story.

I suggest you stay away from Swytch.

Edit: Cadence was faster with his reply

Reactions: sjpt

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I third the Woosh suggestion.
To see the Woosh options go to https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits, and search 'Which Motor?'

To get an idea of what the XF07 can do, see
You can change details such as total weight, how much effort you can put in, and gradient.

We have an XF07 on our tandem. It is underpowered for that as we were advised when we bought it, but was the only appropriate legal option easily available at the time; the BPM and Yose alternatives were all 350w. As you will see from the graphs, power output falls a lot as you slow to say 6mph.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Hello all, I've recently been considering a Swytch conversion kit for one of my bikes.
One point to note is that for the newer Swytch kit there has been a number of people posting on here about how to connect generic batteries to the Swytch conversion to provide extra range. So far no-one seems to have managed to do it.

You say you live in 'very hilly north Devon' and want 30-40 miles of range, for sure you will not get that on a Swytch MAX battery, so you would probably need to buy and carry two more, not cheap.

For the kits mentioned on here, you have a fair bit of choice battery wise, buy the size that suits your range, with maybe a smaller one as a spare.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello all, I've recently been considering a Swytch conversion kit for one of my bikes. Looking for reviews etc led me to this site and I'm currently reading threads to see if there's a better alternative given the time it takes to get a Swytch kit and the dubious customer support I'm reading about.

I'd appreciate some suggestions of what alternatives might be out there. The bike I'd be converting is a Thorn Raven with a Rohloff rear hub, which is why I'm looking at a front wheel conversion. It's all steel tube and has a steel fork and 26" wheels. It's set up as a touring bike with pannier rack and bar bag, though the bar bag is on an extender because I have On-One Geoff handle bars. I'm 57 and while I'm very active, over the past few years I've become fairly unfit and have developed a knee issue so I'm not running these days. Cycling is a good option to try and rebuild some fitness.

However, I live on a farm in very hilly north Devon, you need to be fit just to go anywhere with our hills. I'm looking at the e-bike conversion so that I can get some assistance on hills while being able to turn it off when on the flat so I can work on my fitness but still make it up hills with assistance when needed to save getting off and walking. I also would like to use it for picking up shopping from the local town to save using the car sometimes but I don't currently because with the extra weight of shopping in the panniers it's just more than I can manage getting home up the hills.

Range wise, I think up to 30-40 miles max would be plenty for shopping and local days out as I wouldn't use the power all the time. When I've regained some fitness, I'd like to go back to doing some touring again so would just remove the battery and change out the front wheel for the one I currently have with a Schmitt dynohub to give me lights at night and charge my phone, so a kit that's modular and with easily removed parts is wanted.

I'm pretty capable mechanically, I built up my old triathlon bike from scratch components in the past, I'm renovating an old car and know electrics, having built amplifiers etc from components as well so I don't expect there to be anything I can't manage if I were to buy either a kit or individual parts. I have a pretty well equipped workshop on the farm.

So, any suggestions of kits that might fit the bill would be appreciated, along with personal opinions on the Swytch kit as well as I'm on their waiting list and so like the look of what they're offering, it's just the backup and order time that seems a bit worrying.

Many thanks, Jay.
Hello Jay,

Front hub conversion is about the only practical for the Thorn Raven with Rohloff hub gears because of the lump under the bottom bracket.
For 30-40 hilly Devonshire miles, I suggest you fit the XF07 with at least 15AH just in case you have to limp home on throttle alone.
This XF07 kit comes with 36V 20AH downtube battery and a 17A controller, good enough for up to 80 miles:
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/product/uid-197-xf07kit-20ah/xf07-front-hub-kit-with-20ah-dp-downtube-battery
If you are interested, please email kits@wooshbikes.co.uk

SafetyThird

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2023
Good morning everyone, and thank you all for such helpful replies, that's certainly given me much to consider.

Guerney, I'm so sorry you've had to deal with such dreadful people and very glad you were able to get away from them.

After reading everything, it confirms that a front hub is the only option with my bike so @Woosh I'll be in touch with you later today to see what we can put together to suit my needs.

I'll be sure to post up here when I have a solution and then as I put it all together.