Major Momentum New Supplier on Ebay

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Garry, All of the bikes I have been discussing and find interesting are in and round the £2000 mark or less.....So the same price level as yours?:rolleyes:
As I said I'm not aiming at anyone person just a personal observation of a general trend I'm seeing.
As you probably realise by now I'm not afraid to express my opinion but please just treat it as that just a opinion I'm certainly not claiming I'm the expert around here and more than willing to have my opinion modified by good discussion.

Not sure what the price of my bike has to do with my position on this !!!.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
I still absolutely maintain that at this price point I would rather choose an existing established supplier. To come new to the market with little or no experience is possible...but £750 is too expensive as a market entry amateurish operation.....this is not mockery; they are amateurish; fact. There is nothing wrong with being so but I say again that the price should reflect this (initially!)
Fully agree with this and if it was just this one bike from this one supplier I doubt I would of said anything but my observation is more in general and not just about the bikes on this thread.

Once again it is just a observation feel free to disagree/ignore as you see fit.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
I'm surprised at you, flecc! You get what you pay for ... Try Phillips for both sound and vision quality ... :)

Don
but be quick as Phillips have stopped making TV's

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I think that our worry is that new entrants to the e-bike scene have had their fingers burnt in the past by buying no good bikes.
These people then assume that all e-bikes are like their dud and go on sometimes to air their opinions. There is a man who visits my local occasionally, he bought some dud and is very unhappy about it. The problem is that most people do not realise just how expensive a reasonable e-bike is.
They see an ordinary bike in Tesco for £100 or so, see a hoover for less than £100 and put the two together in their minds. If they spend £500 on an e-bike, they expect quality, but don't get it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
... Try Phillips for both sound and vision quality ... :)

Don
Have a look at your set Don, it's Philips with one "L", Dutch language. :p

Those Philips sets have rubbish sound quality, for the simple reason that their models, like so many makes, have very narrow rectangular speakers of very limited depth in a miniscule grill below the screen, style before function. Such speakers cannot produce high quality sound, firstly because their air shifting ability is physically very limited, secondly because the extreme proportions produce cone distortions, thirdly because their cone excursions are limited, fourthly because the cone material is incapable of accurate sound reproduction. I can't accept the sound they produce, and I don't want the inconvenience of an add-on TV audio system in my lounge.

No-one makes a true high fidelity sound TV, but their are some good efforts at acceptable sound quality. My model has sadly been discontinued now, since a largely cloth-eared public partially deaf through too much exposure to loud pop music are usually incapable of knowing what good sound is.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Fully agree with this and if it was just this one bike from this one supplier I doubt I would of said anything but my observation is more in general and not just about the bikes on this thread.

Once again it is just a observation feel free to disagree/ignore as you see fit.
I think that this site, and many of it members are on the side of the consumer, and rightly express concern,
when new importers come on the scene with a cowboyish attitude, which can only harm the promotion of e-bikes, and possibly rip off poor unsuspecting customers with inferior, overpriced junk, and then vanish into the sunset with the cash.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
I think that this site, and many of it members are on the side of the consumer, and rightly express concern,
when new importers come on the scene with a cowboyish attitude, which can only harm the promotion of e-bikes, and possibly rip off poor unsuspecting customers with inferior, overpriced junk, and then vanish into the sunset with the cash.
Very valid points but its the glee with which some posts are made that personally concerns me. A hey guys look what piece of crap I have found arnt I clever type attitude. Followed by others further tearing into the bikes all based on very little (if any) personal experience of the bike in question.

Now if some one came on and said "met a bloke down pub last night who bought xxxxx from xxxx and took a good look and suggest you avoid because of xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" i would treat that with far more respect.

maybe its just me :)

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
Excuseer mijn fout ;)

Philips? het klinkt ok voor mij :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I see no evidence of what you have been saying on this thread happening on this forum. and that is why I posted re the bikes being discussed by some are far from esoteric hybrids, but European bikes around the same price point as yours, with one or two exceptions..we can all dream cant we!lol

My interests are in mainly European bikes..so that is what I discuss. I dont like Chinese bikes in general, with a few exceptions. I don't like the style and look of juicybikes/kudos but they are good company's. I do like some (cheaper) bikes, 8Fun and the recent Burisch a good effort, and we need more like it..

Jazper is spot on, most of us are on the side of the consumer. Poor quality e bikes are available everywhere. Normally you dont get a look in to what is happening behind the scenes. you see an add, ask question by email, press a button and pay by paypal. That these two sorry guys have allowed us in (video) and given us the oppertuniy to get the measure of them is a mistake on their part.

No one has been nasty about them, all have found it from hilarious to amusing, I just wish for their sakes (and us as consumers) that they had identified better bikes to sell.

e bikes are like e cars. people think Oh now that s a good idea! no petrol! then when they see the price they have fits of Apoplexy....Good technology has never been cheap, tosh is cheap and your welcome to it.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
As I said just a observation feel free to agree or disagree as much as you like.

And with this post I personally will draw a end to my comments on this matter as I cant think of anything more useful to add and have no wish argue just for the sake of it.

Last edited:

grasshopper

Pedelecer
May 23, 2012

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As I said just a observation feel free to agree or disagree as much as you like.

And with this post I personally will draw a end to my comments on this matter as I cant think of anything more useful to add and have no wish argue just for the sake of it.
So the glee club can carry on then? :p :D

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
So the glee club can carry on then?
As if it ever needed my permission :rolleyes: :D

oh and some of the old cyclamatic threads make for interesting reading

last word honest :D:D

Last edited:

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012

Those Philips sets have rubbish sound quality, for the simple reason that their models, like so many makes, have very narrow rectangular speakers of very limited depth in a miniscule grill below the screen, style before function. Such speakers cannot produce high quality sound, firstly because their air shifting ability is physically very limited, secondly because the extreme proportions produce cone distortions, thirdly because their cone excursions are limited, fourthly because the cone material is incapable of accurate sound reproduction. I can't accept the sound they produce, and I don't want the inconvenience of an add-on TV audio system in my lounge.

No-one makes a true high fidelity sound TV, but their are some good efforts at acceptable sound quality. My model has sadly been discontinued now, since a largely cloth-eared public partially deaf through too much exposure to loud pop music are usually incapable of knowing what good sound is.
Thats how come I never use the TV's speakers and always use their audio out and wire it up to my amplifier and my own quality speakers. Great sound no matter what TV you plug it into (well within reason).

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Very valid points but its the glee with which some posts are made that personally concerns me. A hey guys look what piece of crap I have found arnt I clever type attitude. Followed by others further tearing into the bikes all based on very little (if any) personal experience of the bike in question.

Now if some one came on and said "met a bloke down pub last night who bought xxxxx from xxxx and took a good look and suggest you avoid because of xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" i would treat that with far more respect.

maybe its just me :)

OK I'll put my hand up and say guilty as charged on that one - the glee I mean - but hey come on - that video was just funny - dont you think?

I have tried to control the laughter in me but it just keeps coming.........

But OK - we could - correction I could - cut out the glee.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
I see no evidence of what you have been saying on this thread happening on this forum. and that is why I posted re the bikes being discussed by some are far from esoteric hybrids, but European bikes around the same price point as yours, with one or two exceptions..we can all dream cant we!lol

My interests are in mainly European bikes..so that is what I discuss. I dont like Chinese bikes in general, with a few exceptions. I don't like the style and look of juicybikes/kudos but they are good company's. I do like some (cheaper) bikes, 8Fun and the recent Burisch a good effort, and we need more like it..

Jazper is spot on, most of us are on the side of the consumer. Poor quality e bikes are available everywhere. Normally you dont get a look in to what is happening behind the scenes. you see an add, ask question by email, press a button and pay by paypal. That these two sorry guys have allowed us in (video) and given us the oppertuniy to get the measure of them is a mistake on their part.

No one has been nasty about them, all have found it from hilarious to amusing, I just wish for their sakes (and us as consumers) that they had identified better bikes to sell.

e bikes are like e cars. people think Oh now that s a good idea! no petrol! then when they see the price they have fits of Apoplexy....Good technology has never been cheap, tosh is cheap and your welcome to it.
Update on the Burisch - seeing as you mention it - and I bought one for those paying attention.....

Well its almost as I want it now. As in I have put a 50T chainring on it which just about allows me to keep up with the peddaling in top gear - but it has thrown the geometry out so I have had to stop it going down to first gear (the 28T on the back) - which is not a problem given the lack of many hills around here - but if you try to go down to the 28T with the 50T chainring the chain keeps coming off - but no matter - I am reasonably content with that. My only thought it to put a 7 speed and get an 11/13/15/etc/24 cassette on the back - which I may do - which would surely mean I can peddle while in top gear.

I have also replaced the brakes with high quality ones - and had the spokes tightened as quite a few on the back wheel had come loose. Cost so far £50 for the chainring and £10 to have the spokes sorted and £20 for the brakes (levers only).

But f*** its fast!

Range is 20 miles tops.

Oh - and another plug for Oxygen (which I still use as much because its better in traffic as its more controllable) - Andrew over there has kindly offered to send me a 52T chainring off of an Oxygen bike - so I will try that when it arrives - no problem with back up there.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
OK so Luke - the guy who I asked about the weight and the Chainring - he emailed me saying he wants to post here but he cant because his registration is not through and asked could I post something here from him - I couldn't think up much of a valid reason why not (I'm all for free speech me) - so here is what he wrote:

"Thanks a lot James that would be amazing. I am not yet allowed to post myself even though I have signed up. Anyway if you could copy and paste the following into the forum I would be extremely grateful. Also stand by as it appears I will need to send this in 2 bits:

'Hello everyone!

I am Luke Major of Major Momentum Ltd and just wanted to defend myself from some of the more harsh criticism (some of it is fair game!).

I am a 22 year old graduate trying to make a living in Electric Bike retail. Major Momentum was formed in 2006 by my father as a business coaching organisation and he has brought me into the business so that I can trade E-Bikes under a limited company as of a few months ago.

I designed the eBay ad myself and having gone through it I can understand that the 'about us' statement could be misleading. It has been changed. Just to clear it up I imported 20 of these E-Bikes which arrived in May as an initial test of the market to see if this was worth pursuing. I have since sold 5, 2 of which were on eBay and you can check my 2 most recent reviews as proof. Hopefully this should go some way to dispelling the notion that it would be 'bonkers' to buy from us. Last month we sold them at £699.99 and the interest we had was the decision behind raising the price to £750.

Major Momentum (on the business coaching side) is currently working with one of the top 10 eBay sellers in the UK (ibathuk). Based on the success we have had with this company, we wanted to emulate it with an other product ourselves and thought E-Bikes a fantastic concept to go forwards with. My point is that although we are new to E-Bikes and will have to 'learn on the job', we are capable of running a successful business.'

(more to come)

Luke."

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
OK I'll put my hand up and say guilty as charged on that one - the glee I mean - but hey come on - that video was just funny - dont you think?

I have tried to control the laughter in me but it just keeps coming.........

But OK - we could - correction I could - cut out the glee.
Yes the video is funny and you can keep the glee as long as you dont start singing :D

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Update on the Burisch - seeing as you mention it - and I bought one for those paying attention.....

Well its almost as I want it now. As in I have put a 50T chainring on it which just about allows me to keep up with the peddaling in top gear - but it has thrown the geometry out so I have had to stop it going down to first gear (the 28T on the back) - which is not a problem given the lack of many hills around here - but if you try to go down to the 28T with the 50T chainring the chain keeps coming off - .
Probably teaching you to suck eggs but have you tried adjusting the low gear stop (not sure what the tech term for this is) on the derailier which should stop this happening ?