motor problem

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One can try switching the Green & Blue, though from the old pics there is no way of knowing what designation they use the colours for. I suspect the order of connection from the PAS is as below and currently it is correct.
Gnd Black to Gnd Black
5V Blue to 5v Red
Sig Green to Sig Blue.

I suspect there is a compatibility issue with the new controller and the old handle bar display and the protocols/comm's between them are not the same. Mostly components controller and display are paired so one should buy the display with the controller unless it is the same brand.

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
One can try switching the Green & Blue, though from the old pics there is no way of knowing what designation they use the colours for. I suspect the order of connection from the PAS is as below and currently it is correct.
Gnd Black to Gnd Black
5V Blue to 5v Red
Sig Green to Sig Blue.

I suspect there is a compatibility issue with the new controller and the old handle bar display and the protocols/comm's between them are not the same. Mostly components controller and display are paired so one should buy the display with the controller unless it is the same brand.
Green and blue what pal and should I put the new display on too then that came with the controller

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes, use the new display it will be paired with the controller so use it and see if the PAS works first as it is most likely a compatibility issue.
Those displays all look vey much the same and some bikes use the same display, however it is the PCB programming that is different and the software will conflict with other brands.

Can you show us the old controller box PAS connector and wire colours.

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
Yes, use the new display it will be paired with the controller so use it and see if the PAS works first as it is most likely a compatibility issue.
Those displays all look vey much the same and some bikes use the same display, however it is the PCB programming that is different and the software will conflict with other brands.

Can you show us the old controller box PAS connector and wire colours.
This is the old pedal assist connector and colours

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ok thanks, the PAS Blue to Red is correct.
PAS Blue is being used for 5v so marries to controller Red & PAS Green is the Sig so marries to controller Blue Sig.
Wire colours don't usually marry up to the same opposite colour, the exception being maybe Black and Red if used on both parts.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Change the display and PAS should work.
For the brakes try swapping the wires over, it depends if the Reed sensor used is open or close. For two wires if one combo doesn't work then swap the wires around.

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
Ok thanks, the PAS Blue to Red is correct.
This is how the old controller pas was connected I’ve put the display unit on and still nothing but I know the motor works because when you connect the two green intelligent wire together it works could the brakes be connected wrong

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes, for now leave brakes disconnected and try again.
As I mentioned in #46 , with the brakes it depends on the sensor type used.

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
Yes, for now leave brakes disconnected and try again.
As I mentioned in #46 , with the brakes it depends on the sensor type used.
i have disconnected them and nothing im beginning to think it could be a faulty pedal assist too as the led on it is just staying red

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
i have disconnected them and nothing im beginning to think it could be a faulty pedal assist too as the led on it is just staying red
No it's not a faulty PAS, it's a mix up of interpreting the wires in #37. The pic shows a Green wire which muddies the picture.
Having looked now I think that Green wire is incidental and just happens to be in the way adding to the confusion and is a red herring.

Lets start again. Both side of the connectors as I can now see it need to simply go colour to colour so 5v Red/Red, Sig Blue /Blue & Gnd Black/Black.

Reactions: gazza19

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As often happens a pic can be misleading, whereas if I had the bike in front of me it would take a few seconds to get working.

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
As often happens a pic can be misleading, whereas if I had the bike in front of me it would take a few seconds to get working.
just looked at that pic again pal that green wire is the inteligent wire it has two of them and when they are connected the motor spins thats how i know it not the motor its a pity you live so far away or i could have brought it to you i will try doing what you have just said and let you know if it still dosnt work then im flummoxed as to what it can be lol

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
just looked at that pic again pal that green wire is the inteligent wire it has two of them and when they are connected the motor spins thats how i know it not the motor its a pity you live so far away or i could have brought it to you i will try doing what you have just said and let you know if it still dosnt work then im flummoxed as to what it can be lol
just switched the wires and reconnect the inteligent wires and the motor will not spin now even without the pedal assist connected its making the noise as if the motor is spinning but the wheel wont spin with it its starting to do my knapper in now

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
just switched the wires and reconnect the inteligent wires and the motor will not spin now even without the pedal assist connected its making the noise as if the motor is spinning but the wheel wont spin with it its starting to do my knapper in now
The motor is running in reverse, reconnect the (green)self learning wires and disconnect them when the motor runs the right way. Make sure the gap on the PAS sensor and disc is 1mm.

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
The motor is running in reverse, reconnect the (green)self learning wires and disconnect them when the motor runs the right way. Make sure the gap on the PAS sensor and disc is 1mm.
the wheel wont spin at all tho and it was earlier as the wheel was spinning i disconnect the green self learning wires by accident put them back together and the wheel wont spin now the motor does increase in speed when you adjust the pedal assist tho

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One has to follow the self learn procedure each time until the motor runs in the correct direction, I think we have had more people have problems with these kits then most others.
The learn wires shouldn't be permanently left connected, once the motor is running correctly then they should be disconnected and left disconnected.

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
One has to follow the self learn procedure each time until the motor runs in the correct direction, I think we have had more people have problems with these kits then most others.
The learn wires shouldn't be permanently left connected, once the motor is running correctly then they should be disconnected and left disconnected.
thanks wheelie pete and neath thats working again now but still wont work on pedal assist even with the brakes disconnected

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the PAS is now all correctly wired then I can only think that it is a setting issue and possibly may need to look in the settings for a PAS setting that might need a parameter change.

Do you have meter for wire testing ?

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
If the PAS is now all correctly wired then I can only think that it is a setting issue and possibly may need to look in the settings for a PAS setting that might need a parameter change.

Do you have meter for wire testing ?
hi yea i do have a metre how do i do the test also how can the parammetres be changed the display isnt a digital one

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Forgot yes you have a basic display some of then are digital but with no parameter changes.

Probe the 5v & Gnd to see you have about 5v, then probe Gnd & SIg and as you pass the magnet by the sensor voltage should switch. Typically could be anything between 0.6v - about 4v.

Just thought what happens when you reverse pedal does the PAS activate ?