Mystery power cuts

tomtag

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2019
If going with the same battery and having opened the old one, I would open the new one and introduce an insulator between where the rubbing has occurred.
But then I think I would break the warranty sticker and lose any warranty on day 1. Even if I just opened to check the design was improved. Not sure which would be the best way to go. Blind faith and a warranty, or reassurance with no warranty? Opinions welcomed.

Reactions: Bikes4two

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I think you'll find that the mystery power cuts are caused by Russian cybercrime.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
  • Thanks for the pics up post @tomtag regarding the thick wires running between the BMS and bottom connection area.
  • And I'm assuming that once the hot glue sealant has been removed, the whole battery pack is pushed through the metal bottle case, top downwards? (Please confirm as this will be helpful when I dismantle mine).
  • The warranty is a tough call - my battery was technically under warranty but I chose to break the seals as I am more keen to understand how ebike motors and batteries/BMS work as of course they will eventually be out of warranty and no doubt something at one time or another, will require fixing amongst the 4x TSDZ2 installations I've done and am the first point of call for problems (of which only mine has so far been a culprit).
  • Posts like this and the contributions therein have been of great help in furthering my understanding - thank you to all :D :cool:.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I would need to know that the same can't happen again, next time it could end up as a fire when shorted like that. I would take safety first over the warranty issue knowing that the fire risk has gone away. The wear is right thru the can to the inner can.
Where the rubbing has occurred, I would slip a piece of FR4 0.4mm fibreglass insulator between the cell and cell holder edge that has caused the issue.

tomtag

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2019
Well it looks like Yosepower have changed their mind and will not offer any discount, I have asked again, but doesn't look promising. Does anyone have any reccomendations on where is a good battery supplier for a replacement? I bought the kit from PSW power so could try there, but not sure where else to look.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Your answer is right below the post.
eBike batteries
Have used the myself to both construct a battery and to recell batteries. Good service.

tomtag

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2019
I didn't end up getting anywhere with Yosepower, after offering a discount they ended up deciding to ignore me & have not advised whether the same design problem has been resolved in their newer batteries, so will not purchase from them. I am now wondering if I could get a replacement on a cycle to work scheme. I have just asked Whoosh & eBike Batteries if they can do it so will see what they say, but wondered if anybody here knew of any seller that sells replacement batteries only on a cycle to work scheme?
Thanks.