Nasty pothole

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I almost ended up inside this pothole last night on my way to work - you can see the bricks under the tarmac exposed. I was able to steer clear, but that road during the day is jam packed and I wonder how many cyclists it caused problems for.

Reactions: PedalingGator

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Quite a few large potholes appearing around my way, be very wary of any water puddles filling holes and don't be tempted to ridethru the water.

• Agree
Reactions: gpt and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Quite a few large potholes appearing around my way, be very wary of any water puddles filling holes and don't be tempted to ridethru the water.
With that in stealth mode/filled with water, I would have been over the handlebars for sure. Two years ago my rear wheel hit a small but deep rain-filled pothole mid-lane. The shock caused my seat to lower it's angle, everything but the display on my handlebars had already swivelled downwards after being in heavy rain for four hours... and at the time I carried no tools.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Same round by me, and some you want to avoid when driving a car .......
Imagine hitting that with a tiny wheeled e-scooter... You can see the second layer of bricks exposed.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That particular road wasn't quite this thin. Cars are too big.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
The joys of full suspension 160mm front and rear. If I'm ever forced into a pothole, im pretty confident i can ride it out without too much bother, other than a bit of a jolt.

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
Road surfaces in the UK have deteriorated terribly in the last 12 years of Tory austerity with the ever increasing squeeze on council budgets. The vast majority of council expenditure goes on items like adult social care & children's services that they have a statutory duty to provide so it's unsurprising that discretionary spending on resurfacing roads gets dropped when attempting to balance the budget.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
That particular road wasn't quite this thin. Cars are too big.
Reminiscent of one near us, which also has a narrow sharp right angle bend at the top. (I don't bother to fix the wing mirror beyond duct tape when it gets pranged.)

There need to be lots more roads with width restrictions that exclude SUVs and other overwide vehicles; that would make buying/driving such a vehicle much less attractive.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney and flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
There need to be lots more roads with width restrictions that exclude SUVs and other overwide vehicles; that would make buying/driving such a vehicle much less attractive.
But... I know people who buy SUVs expressly because of potholes o_O And what car isn't a SUV these days? Even the mini aint mini. Maybe they could filter cars using thin barriers? If you're not slim you can't get in?

The joys of full suspension 160mm front and rear. If I'm ever forced into a pothole, im pretty confident i can ride it out without too much bother, other than a bit of a jolt.
You sir, of course have the equivalent of an SUV for bikes. I might get fatter tyres...

Last edited:

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
I almost ended up inside this pothole last night on my way to work - you can see the bricks under the tarmac exposed. I was able to steer clear, but that road during the day is jam packed and I wonder how many cyclists it caused problems for.
What did you do about it?
If the highway authority is unaware of the defect it can deny liability for any accident or injury caused.
If highways are made aware of the defect it must make safe within a reasonable period and permanently repair within its published timescales.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What did you do about it?
If the highway authority is unaware of the defect it can deny liability for any accident or injury caused.
If highways are made aware of the defect it must make safe within a reasonable period and permanently repair within its published timescales.
It wasn't on a road I use regularly, and I wasn't sure of it's exact location. I couldn't find it all last night, so it may have been filled in, but I found several others. Quite honestly, it'd be a full time job reporting nasty potholes. In future I'll stop and send my GPS bike light a text, and it'll text me GPS co-ordinates - I'm paying for 200 texts a year, which hardly use.

Many repairs I saw were pretty shoddy, new looking asphalt already beaten down.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
80 y/o club cyclist died on Monday after his bikes front wheel jammed in a tram line like fissure on aroad in Lancs, having thrown him from his bike he died at the scene from injuries sustained .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I didn't see a link to the story early in the week but heard of it on another forum.
Thanks for the link and died on injuries in hospital so I stand corrected.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Very true, unfortunately mostly done by the lowest tenderer which self certifies its own work.
Does self-certification reduce taxes? Shoddy short-lived repair:

Potholes would be easier to see if all roads were painted blue, like on this shiny new cycle path which appeared locally:

I wish pedestrians would stay off cycle paths

He looked to me resentful. There's a pavement for pedestrians to his right!

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
I`m always amazed at the number of people I see walking with their backs to the traffic where there are no footpaths. I was taught when I was young to walk facing the oncoming traffic. I feel like warning them but in this day and age I am fearful of abuse.