Nasty pothole

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Wet and cold December fuels Britain's pothole epidemic which is costing drivers millions of pounds in repairs and putting cyclists at risk of injury or death:eek:
  • In January Wiltshire Council received its highest number of pothole reports
  • Experts say the cold weather and heavy rainfall contributed to the increase

“When you lay a new freeway, a pothole shows up every three years,” King says. “If you now only have to fill your potholes every 10 years or 20 years, it’s a better material.”

The Secret to Making Concrete That Lasts 1,000 Years
Scientists have uncovered the Roman recipe for self-repairing cement—which could massively reduce the carbon footprint of the material today.

PedalingGator

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 30, 2021
I almost ended up inside this pothole last night on my way to work - you can see the bricks under the tarmac exposed. I was able to steer clear, but that road during the day is jam packed and I wonder how many cyclists it caused problems for.

View attachment 49931

View attachment 49929

View attachment 49930
The back roads round here are full of them, lethal.

Sometimes I feel like getting a spray can and marking them all in high viz paint to shame the council into fixing them.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The back roads round here are full of them, lethal.

Sometimes I feel like getting a spray can and marking them all in high viz paint to shame the council into fixing them.
Sometimes it's better they don't "fix" them. This was Hesiers Hill after Tandridge Council resurfaced it:

hesiershill.jpg

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Residents’ relief as ‘Britain’s deepest pothole’ is finally filled
The pothole in east London turned into a 5ft-deep sinkhole, sparking fears of a serious accident

'I thought Hell had opened up' says driver in hole in York road

Sinkhole in Indonesia

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I think we all know who is wholly to blame.

Yes, thats right 100%. Its the Tories.

Constantly cutting local authority budgets so theres little money left in the pot to fund resurfacing.

£69 billion to friends,cronies, friends of cronies and cronies of friends. Another £70+ billion to HS2, the railway to nowhere that is probably never going to be completed.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
  • Informative
Reactions: sjpt

suzyytom

Just Joined
Apr 20, 2023
I didn't see a link to the story early in the week but heard of it on another forum.

djb606

Just Joined
Apr 21, 2023

I hit a pothole 2 years ago in the city Winchester, ended up in A&E. broke my wrist, still have issues with my wrist today. The council didnt want to know. seems Standard for my area. looking at the list my city isnt on there, i feel lucky?? LOL

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
I hit a pothole 2 years ago in the city Winchester, ended up in A&E. broke my wrist, still have issues with my wrist today. The council didnt want to know. seems Standard for my area. looking at the list my city isnt on there, i feel lucky?? LOL
Sorry to hear about your broken wrist, I had one too. Badger dived directly under my front wheel. This happened -

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Another item for the toolkit.

The man turning potholes into works of art

Tim Webb from Orpington in south-east London, has come up with a novel way of getting Bromley Council to acknowledge potholes in his area - by filling them with rubber ducks.

Last edited:

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Can I claim for badger damage? There were no "Beware of badgers" signs. I've have learned from locals since that it's well known as a road where badgers cross regularly. The road cuts through woods. Bike headlight, wrist and all trust in stripey wildlife broken.

Last edited:

PaulM24

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 18, 2020
Lancashire
Can I claim for badger damage? There were no "Beware of badgers" signs. I've have learned from locals since that it's well known as a road where badgers cross regularly. The road cuts through woods. Bike headlight, wrist and all trust in stripey wildlife broken.
You could try and lure the badgers away with Jammy Dodgers (experimentally proven when investigating a noise in the tent awning in the middle of the night - the badger was unperturbed by the human presence and kept on noshing!)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
I have to admit to being confused as to why there doesn't seem to be enough tarmac to fill the potholes but plenty is available to build speed humps. Enquiring minds need to know. :rolleyes:

TTFN
John.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The joys of full suspension 160mm front and rear. If I'm ever forced into a pothole, im pretty confident i can ride it out without too much bother, other than a bit of a jolt.
Needs mudguards, mid-drive.

Last edited: