Ned of a New controller 250W 36V

Tunk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 14, 2015
Norway
Hi
I am from norway and new on this forum. I have lot on net and could not find the right noe in the jungel of controller s.
I have a old ebike ( Liberty Electric 443 mountain) and the controller has blown. (Wzkd3615ka-hd4 brushless intellect 1:1 controller)
the bike has trottle, motor brake handeles, pas, and 25kmh limit.
The motor is a rear hub 250W, with 3 phace wire and 5 signal wire.
There are not a lcd, but a battery indicator 3 led lamp.
I have made my own battery pack with Headaway 4015 15ah cell.
I have made it as 3 x 12v with 3 x 15A BMS. So i use it in serial in connector for 36V on ebike. (Another connector for paralell 12V use)
I want to keep it street legal. In norway the ruls are than the bike can giv you more power for a short time when climbing a hill ex, in any speed under 25kmh (manny long hills in Norway)
Then I think that I ned a controller with lcd display. Normaly max output power 250W, boost for a short time 350-500.

Anyone Who can help me pick the right one ?

Looked at 36V KT controller with display at aliexpress.com

D

Deleted member 4366

The KT sinewave ones with 6 mosfets are very good. You can get them from Aliexpress or BMSBattery.com. if you get it from BMSB, you can get the necessary wheel-speed sensor and LCD from them also. It's probably a good idea to get a new PAS to make sure it's compatible. BMSB have theirs listed as S06S controller.

Tunk

Jun 14, 2015
Norway
The KT sinewave ones with 6 mosfets are very good. You can get them from Aliexpress or BMSBattery.com. if you get it ftom BMSB, you can tet the necessary wheel-speed sensor, LCD
Thanks, but do I need a separate wheel speed sensor. I think it is one in rear hub motor.

D

Deleted member 4366

If your motor has a separate 6th thin wire for an internal speed sensor, you can wire it dirrcyly to the controller. If it's a geared motor, you can't use one of the three timing hall sensors because the speed shown will be zero when free-wheeling.

Tunk

Jun 14, 2015
Norway
If your motor has a separate 6th thin wire for an internal speed sensor, you can wire it dirrcyly to the controller. If it's a geared motor, you can't use one of the three timing hall sensors because the speed shown will be zero when free-wheeling.
My hub motor has blue, yellow, green, phase wires . Black, red, blue, yellow and green signal wires.
When my bike worked, it Was speed limit 25kmh. I can not find other way that the bike can indicate speed.

D

Deleted member 4366

Everything will work perfectly including speed limit and speed display if you buy the stuff I indicated above.

Tunk

Jun 14, 2015
Norway
S-LCD5 LCD METER (17.33$)
S06S 250Watts Torque Simulation Sine Wave Controller (24$)
Ten poles PAS--Pulse Padel Assistant Sensor (2.7$)
speed sensor (1.9$)
Ok prices but shipment Was about 35$ so maybe I have to pay costoms.
Will this setup give me the extra power in hill climbing ?
What is the different between sine wave and sqare wave on power output ?

D

Deleted member 4366

The current from the new controller is 14A max. You need to compare that with your old controller to say if the power is different.

Sinewave controllers give slightly more efficiency than a square wave one, so slightly more power, but the main difference is that they make the motor very much smoother and quieter.

On any controller, you can increase the power by changing the shunt value inside. For the S06S, that means adding a blob of solder to a bit of wire.

Tunk

Jun 14, 2015
Norway
Greate. Is it posible to soldering a smd or normal fuse holder on that spot, or take som wire to make fuse on outside ?

D

Deleted member 4366

Normally, the place to put a fuse is in the wire between the battery and the controller.

Tunk

Jun 14, 2015
Norway
Thanks, I will do that.
I have read the manual for lcd and controller and could not find the button/switch for short time boost. Do I need a another controller or lcd for get that function ?

D

Deleted member 4366

I don't understand what you mean by "short time boost"

Tunk

Jun 14, 2015
Norway
The 250 legal nominal watts is the mechanical effect which the engine will be able to provide continuous for one hour without the temperature rising more than two degrees above regular operating temperature. Although a legal motor may only provide 250 watts nominal, it is completely legal that it can deliver much higher power up a hill.
Unlike combustion engines, electric motors can provide much higher power for short periods than the specified nominal effect. It assumes that both the battery and power components of the controller
can deliver and withstand the extra load. An output of 750 watts is therefore fully legal when it only comes in a few minutes up a short steep section, and speed is not over 25 km / h +/- 10 percent.

Last edited:

Tunk

Jun 14, 2015
Norway
The understanding of Norwegian is posted over.

I have a 15A limit with my bms. So I think that the s06s controller will be fine with the 14A limit. Full charge on 12 headway is aprox 42V. With load I gess 36-38V. Losing power in controller aprox 15%. 36 x 14 x 0,85 = 428,4W
The hub motor have also a cos f. So the given power on wheel will be less.
am I right so far ?

How can I controll check the hub motor without working controller ?
I want to check it Before purcasing new parts.
( I work as a Electronicer with soldering/pcb and have a lot of instruments)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Your calculations are correct.

There is no legal limit to the amount of power that the motor gives. The requirement is that it must be rated as a 250w motor for continuous power.

The speed limit is set in the display. It takes about 10 seconds to change it. You have to practice a bit to be able to do it while riding.

Tunk

Jun 14, 2015
Norway
Greate. I have 5 km climbing up in the forest, so 25kmh is more than enough. I gess that my speed is aprox 6-12kmh.

How can I controll check the hub motor without working controller ?
I want to check it Before purcasing new parts.
( I work as a Electronicer with soldering/pcb andhave a lot of instruments)

D

Deleted member 4366

You check the hall sensors by applying a 5v supply to the red and black wires, then measure between black and each of the remaining three while you rotate the motor backwards. They should pulse on and off with 5v.

To check the motor windings, measure the voltage between each pair while you turn the motor backwards. You should get pulses of voltage due to generation.

The easiest way to do the tests is with anebike tester that you can get from EBay very cheap.

Tunk

Jun 14, 2015
Norway
This is an old motor YU CHENG SWX190-3B09 orginal powered by Pb-acid battery. When breaking motor generate power backpack to battery. This funktion have I removed when in instaling lifepo4 battery pack.
Hub motor generate power on 3 phase wire. (Forward and backward)
Testing hall with 5V I get a blury signal when turning wheel slowly. When I stop at highest value it is 20V ........????? But I also get zero.
All 3 wires give the same value when testing as you told.