Need help with a voilamart controller 48v 1000w

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Controller is 26a max current, it will need a battery capable of a very minimum 30a however I would be looking for one well above that rating. You will need to forget ebay and the usual cheaper batteries with so-so cells and look for a something from Jimmy at ebikebatteries.co.uk or em3ev with 15 - 25a rated cells cost will be £500 - £600.

Wires #3 & #4 would connect to the battery, though if you are asking such a simple question one should be asking themselves am I capable of doing this ?

If you fit an inferior rated battery with so-so cells then look for clips of ebike battery fires to see what you may have to contend with if you get it wrong with a cheap or under rated battery .

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You need a battery with a relatively high discharge rate, which means buying one from a reputable supplier. have a look at Eclipse Bikes batteries. Pay attention to the maximum discharge rate in the listings. Tou can do about 15 miles per 10Ah, so if you want to do 30 miles, you'd need 20ah, assuming that you're going to use the power of the motor.

The connector on the battery almost certainly won't match those on the battery, so you have to cut them off and solder the wires together. Don't try to use one of those connector blocks with screws that clamp the wires.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Would this battery work? Also if I cut and solder the wire to my controller would it work?
The spec's don't give the constant continuous output, you need a minimum of 30a continuous discharge rate, 40a or more will be better.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Also do I just look for 48v 15-20ah? What if I get 48v 13ah
How many miles do you plan on riding in a day or per ride ?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Would this battery work? Also if I cut and solder the wire to my controller would it work?
Only buy one that says "max current 26A continuous" or more. The word continuous is important. It won't be a cheap one.

Read the listing. It says up to 250w. That's 25% of your 1000w motor.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That's the problem with the so called cheap 1000w kits, the sellers don't tell or know the truth about buying a decent high power output battery to power the kits over some distance.
The kits are cheap but the batteries aren't and one needs to spend 3 or 4 x if not more on a proper battery.

Reactions: quackstar84

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Woosh sell decent kits all 250w rated with great UK CS, though 250w they will put out over 400w of power for 36v and a bit more for 48v.
Yosepower kits are ok but they do have reliability issues with controllers which is a bit strange as the use KT or Lishui , again CS appears good.
Voilamart sell 250w its but with most voilamart the electronics are a basic hence the cheapness.

Mostly a lot of us buy component parts to make up a kit form one of the main China re-sellers. Topbikekit, BMSBattery, Greenbikekit, Elifebike/PSWPower are the major players.

Some have dealt directly with the manufacturers like Keyde, Mxus and Xiongda.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With mix and match kits one can buy the controller that will suit the needs best which is often 17 - 25a which will work with most good batteries. Also one can select motor RPM/winding to suit ones needs, if hilly terrain a heavier rider can opt for a high torque hub for better hill climbing where as a light rider in with less hilly terrain can opt for a less torquey motor for faster riding.
Each case is different in deciding what may be best.

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
Just have to go with the voilamart as I tried to cancel but its on the way should I refuse it at the door or should I take it and somehow buy a 48v 17ah battery

Reactions: sjpt

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The voilamart will be good at going fast on the flat; and at eating batteries. Not much good at anything else, not even hill climbing despite its nominal power. It will also of course be illegal to use on the road, or off-road anywhere (bike paths, bridleways etc) open to the public.

Battery capacity (ah/wh)should just be ok for such short rides, as the others have said above it is the ability to deliver continuous current that matters. If it can't you'll have an unsatisfactory ride, and a dead battery after not too long (dead, not just empty).

I don't know what the implications of refusing delivery are, you will need to check on the t&c when you ordered. Don't just expect to get all your money back.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The best cheapest battery to safely suit your needs is the one I linked to in #7 above, the Samsung 25R cell is a top cell and 20a rated it will have 4 cells in parallel and are 80a capable. However the BMS current rating limits the current draw to a possible 39a continuous, ideal for your voilamart controller as it has a max 26a current draw.
The cells have plenty of headroom to remain cool and unstressed.

The battery is rated at 9.8ah or 470wh , one will get the ten miles required.
In reality though the actual ah rating for the 26a current draw will be nearer a max 3.5ah or 168wh for that battery with your controller.

This graph explains why the Wh usage will be lower.
Select the 25a discharge curve and follow it down until it transacts the 3.2v discharge line ( 3.2v will be the likely level of a lot of controller LVC level, though some may go down a bit lower to 3.0 or 3.1v per cell).
The 25a bisects the 3.2v line at approx. 875mah which is about the max capacity one can expect form the 25R cell at a continuous 25a current draw as there are four cells in each parallel group this gives a usable capacity of 3.5ah/3500mah using the 25a current discharge usage.

1618484093368.png

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The controller will be a speed controller and not a current control controller, this means each pas level/power level will have a different max speed. These tpye of controllers will nearly give max current in each level until you reach the top end of the max speed and only then does the current reduce.
One will expect you may get a max 15 - 17 miles range before having to recharge.
As we have mentioned you will need a battery capable of at least a minimum of 26a continuous current draw the 25R battery/BMS meets this very well.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Even with the 25R battery the max run time will be no more then 30 - 40 minutes before the battery will likely cut out due to low voltage.

What ever you do please post a link to any battery before you buy so as not endanger your self or waste money, you have already done so with the kit.