New battery technology

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Had there tec guys in about 6 months ago They are only down the road from us They can only match the size and weight we have now from our currant supplier It will be 3 years before the can reach the targets for smaller batteries in mass production If that

Frank

D

Deleted member 4366

The Cycle Show before last, they came round touting their wares telling us that it was imminent. There was something that made them less desirable, but I can't remember what- maybe discharge rates. Wisper had some sort of partnership arrangement with them. If you look at their website, there's loads of news about agreements and associations, but precious little about actually making any batteries. I'm sure something will eventually come from all their research, but it won't be soon.

News | Oxis Energy

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Hamster Oxide anode / Banana Sulphate cathode is going to be the next big thing. Batteries of less than 1 cubic millimetre, under 1 gramme, 5KWh, full charge in 20 milliseconds. They are due to become available last week.

Last edited:

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi
tillson

Just feeling Fruity

I was busy in the workshop in fact just finished Building The controller and motor for our 50 MPH 60 volt Kit NO pedalling

Building the battery in the week when all the parts arrive 15 AH 66 volt weight 6 kilos

Frank

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Was reading on electricbike.com THE NEXT EBIKE BATTERY Linimnc0o2/NMC lithium-Nickel-Mangenese-cobalt-oxide, claim to have a high c rate,
This compound cathode mix has been around for a long time, and Sony have developed the same with chrome as well. Most of the additions are to assist with control of the cobalt element which, although a good cathode material, has formerly caused many fires when used in isolation.

Of all the elements, the best cathode material by far is iron, but it's proved stubbornly difficult to use with full effectiveness. The lithium iron phosphate batteries (LiFePO4) have been the only ones achieved to date, improving battery life but gaining bulk and weight, not ideal factors for e-bikes.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
dilithium is the new technology in by e-bike battery. Buy once, never needs recharging.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
A bit like Nuclear fusion new battery technology always appears further away than it seems. Key thing most people and businesses want would be to have a reliable technology which does not cost as much money. However prices seem to remain the same or go up. However it is always good to hear of potential developments :D

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The Cycle Show before last, they came round touting their wares telling us that it was imminent. There was something that made them less desirable, but I can't remember what- maybe discharge rates. Wisper had some sort of partnership arrangement with them. If you look at their website, there's loads of news about agreements and associations, but precious little about actually making any batteries. I'm sure something will eventually come from all their research, but it won't be soon.

News | Oxis Energy
Dave,those guys made big claims....I think it comes under the heading of 'talk is cheap'....from memory I thought the big problem was cycle life,maybe only 50 recharges....they used those batteries in EPIRB yacht distress beacons,but they only need to be used perhaps once!!!
KudosDave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
'....from memory I thought the big problem was cycle life,maybe only 50 recharges....
That has been their problem. The difficulty is that the Li.S cells react with the electrolyte causing irreversible loss of the active sulphur through the polysulphides disolving. One research body claimed they'd solved that with solid electrolyte but the electrolyte conductivity was low.

The potential is very attractive though, high density/capacity with very low weight and bulk, both ideal for e-transport of any kind and especially e-bikes. However, the difficulties with using sulphur for optimum benefit appear to be as intransigent as those with iron.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Hamster Oxide anode / Banana Sulphate cathode is going to be the next big thing. Batteries of less than 1 cubic millimetre, under 1 gramme, 5KWh, full charge in 20 milliseconds. They are due to become available last week.
I've heard of these..... these batteries should work well the latest motors incorporating Flux Capacitor technology, originally invented back in the mid 80's by a Doctor Emmett Brown.
Fitted to the latest ultra light frames, made from unobtainium, it should make a fantastic ebike.

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
I've heard of these..... these batteries should work well the latest motors incorporating Flux Capacitor technology, originally invented back in the mid 80's by a Doctor Emmett Brown.
Fitted to the latest ultra light frames, made from unobtainium, it should make a fantastic ebike.
as long as it dont go over the legal limit of 15 mph

haase

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 5, 2015
North London
This compound cathode mix has been around for a long time, and Sony have developed the same with chrome as well. Most of the additions are to assist with control of the cobalt element which, although a good cathode material, has formerly caused many fires when used in isolation.

Of all the elements, the best cathode material by far is iron, but it's proved stubbornly difficult to use with full effectiveness. The lithium iron phosphate batteries (LiFePO4) have been the only ones achieved to date, improving battery life but gaining bulk and weight, not ideal factors for e-bikes.