New Conversion kit launching

recumbyrider

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 12, 2014
Just got an email about a new kit coming soon on Indiegogo. Made by the Bikee Bike people. I`ve been riding the bikee motor for a couple of years - pulls like a tractor but heavy. So the new one looks like an interesting alternative
https://www.lightest.bike/?mwr=fe2f6a2f

• Informative
Reactions: KirstinS

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Just got an email about a new kit coming soon on Indiegogo. Made by the Bikee Bike people. I`ve been riding the bikee motor for a couple of years - pulls like a tractor but heavy. So the new one looks like an interesting alternative
https://www.lightest.bike/?mwr=fe2f6a2f
New innovation I ways find very intersting but, sorry, there is always one who pokes holes

So I query "lightest" as GNG do a 1.45, kg from memory. Not that I've used it. Also I worry about other claims such as the oem. Or retrofit. Hmm its retrofit isn't it really

And 1.6 kg is the same as a bottle of water. Well yes, same as a 1.5 litre bottle more or less. But the marketing makes it sound like a water bottle for a bike weight which is either 500ml or maybe 750. Never 1.5l. So it obvuscates the fact that it is either three times or twice the weight of a water bottle on bike by comparing against a large supermarket bottle

Those external jockey/sprocket wheels look like a mainetnece/replacement nightmare to me

Next - up to 1000w. So what is it? A legal 250w that can pull peaks? (suspect not). But unclear to me

Finally (for now :) price. 500quid for an unproven, untested, who are ya motor with no surety of parts or support or knowledge in forums. That's a lot to ask vs a BBSxxx which

Next - is also programmable. Is this? Guess not

OK I lied, more comes mind as write

Next - chain line

"Perfect chainline

Keep the same chainline as your original bike. You won't have any problem with bad alignment"

Well this is just pure BS and impossible. It will depend on the bike. Chain lines are not the same on every bike!!!

Next -" Independent drive pinion

Gives you the opportunity to have different transmission ratios between human power and motor power."

What?! So you can choose a PAS power level? Like the most basic hub bike from 15 years ago. Even if you mean it has a torque sensor... Still marketing BS

Sorry I have become the grinch and will shut up right now

Edit - nope seems I cannot stop! I know a guy with a van moof that developed mobile phone connection issues. Which means it's a gamble as to whether the damn thing can move or not. At least most bikes which are less "smart" can be peddled away when the system fails. The van moof is not fail safe but fail bricked! Certain versions of this may suffer too.

Too. Much tech is just further fail point

Last edited:

Matteo from Bikee Bike

Jan 18, 2020
Hi, I'm Matteo from Bikee Bike, the company which is launching the Lightest. I'm just here to clarify the details of the system and I'm available to aswer your questions.

As first thing I guess a reply to Kirstin is due for his review. I thank Kirstin because he gave me the opportunity to understand what wasn't clear and to fix it.

About Kirstin post:
So I query "lightest" as GNG do a 1.45, kg from memory. Not that I've used it.
GNG is 1.55kg and there are lighter "motors": that depends where you put the bar for defining an ebike motor. In the specific case, GNG is a RC motor adapted to work on an ebike. You'll certainly know all the problems which come with that solution. Plus, please correct me if I'm wrong, and I might, it seems to me that, when the motor is on, it drags the pedal, and since there's a PAS sensor, I cannot see a way to stop the motor rathern than fighting with the pedals till the motor stalls. You'd forgive us if we didn't count that as an actual ebike motor.

Also I worry about other claims such as the oem. Or retrofit. Hmm its retrofit isn't it really
Why you say that?

And 1.6 kg is the same as a bottle of water. Well yes, same as a 1.5 litre bottle more or less. But the marketing makes it sound like a water bottle for a bike weight which is either 500ml or maybe 750. Never 1.5l. So it obvuscates the fact that it is either three times or twice the weight of a water bottle on bike by comparing against a large supermarket bottle
Sorry, it never crossed my mind that someone who's looking to buy a kit to convert his bike by himself into a pedelec could think that a 500ml water bottle could weight 1.6kg. We'll added the liters of the water bottle on the website. Thanks for that!

Those external jockey/sprocket wheels look like a mainetnece/replacement nightmare to me
Those are manufactured as the Motocross sprockets: hardened steel. You can have good night's sleep.

Next - up to 1000w. So what is it? A legal 250w that can pull peaks? (suspect not). But unclear to me
There are four power versions, the most powerful has continuous power of 1000W and peaks at 1300W.
The legal version is nominal 250W and peaks at 600W.

Finally (for now :) price. 500quid for an unproven, untested, who are ya motor with no surety of parts or support or knowledge in forums. That's a lot to ask vs a BBSxxx which
The price of 499 Euro is for the complete kit including the battery. The company is Bikee Bike and we're operating since 2016 manufacturing in Italy a motor which won several awards for that product ( for what that might matters). About seeing support or knowledge in forums: please realize that the support forums where created to fill the gap of a non-existing customer care from chinese companies: if you had a chance, would you ask support to the manufacturer or to someone you don't know which have the system? If the company tells you something it's responsible for what might come up and ready to deal with the consequences with the warranty procedure. If you blow everything because someone told you, then you have to bear all the consequences. So having support forums to me is symptom of bad customer care: those were born when a lot of people struggled to understand the few info in Chinese and decided to put together their effort to understand how to make the systems work.... and I've been there as well.

Next - is also programmable. Is this? Guess not
It is fully programmable! but you don't have to wire it up everytime to your laptop, we have an app by which you can program power level ( limiting for example the maximum power of the 1000W at 250W), setting up the acceleration ramp, program different presets, enable or disable the throttle override, set the operating mode between PAS, Torque sensor or Thottle, activating the RACE mode or get the assist level controlled by your heart beat or simply lock the bike. These features are available with the Superhero pack ( +99 Euro)

Perfect chainline
Keep the same chainline as your original bike. You won't have any problem with bad alignment"
Well this is just pure BS and impossible. It will depend on the bike. Chain lines are not the same on every bike!!!
True, but just changing the spacers between the mounting plate and the motor you can actually shift the motor to the exact position you want with a discrimination of 2mm. So you can keep the same chainline as your original bike.

Next -" Independent drive pinion
Gives you the opportunity to have different transmission ratios between human power and motor power."
What?! So you can choose a PAS power level? Like the most basic hub bike from 15 years ago. Even if you mean it has a torque sensor... Still marketing BS
No, maybe that wasn't clear. On standard construction ebike motors when you pick a chainring, that's used to transmit both human and motor power. So if you're more comfortable with a 36T chainring, you're changing also the motor transmission ratio, lowering it's delivered torque to the wheel and worstening its efficiency. With the Lightest system the two things are separated, so you can choose the chainring you want without influencing the motor's behaviour. Also you can do the opposite: just change the motor sprocket teeth ( getting more speed or torque) without changing your desided cadence. And yes, the motor has torque sensor, but you can make it work in PAS mode or throttle.

Edit - nope seems I cannot stop! I know a guy with a van moof that developed mobile phone connection issues. Which means it's a gamble as to whether the damn thing can move or not. At least most bikes which are less "smart" can be peddled away when the system fails. The van moof is not fail safe but fail bricked! Certain versions of this may suffer too.

Too. Much tech is just further fail point
Usually it's hard to reply to a statement which starts with " ..I know a guy that...", but I'll try. Our app is the same we perfected in the last three years on thousands of users. The good thing is that the app is not mandatory and the system can be operated by the display only or simultaneously by app and display. So you'll always make it to home, worst thing you won't be able to display your instantaneous consumption during the trip.

Hope this clarifies and thanks again for the opportunity. Really.

Reactions: JulesCT

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Plus, please correct me if I'm wrong, and I might, it seems to me that, when the motor is on, it drags the pedal, and since there's a PAS sensor, I cannot see a way to stop the motor rathern than fighting with the pedals till the motor stalls. You'd forgive us if we didn't count that as an actual ebike motor.
The GNG has a simple one way clutch system as in this picture, the chainring can be pedalled without dragging the motor, the PAS is attached to the bottom bracket axle, thus unaffected by the motor.

I assume yours has same arrangement?

Matteo from Bikee Bike

Jan 18, 2020
The GNG has a simple one way clutch system as in this picture, the chainring can be pedalled without dragging the motor, the PAS is attached to the bottom bracket axle, thus unaffected by the motor.

I assume yours has same arrangement?

Hi Whoosh, the Lightest ebike kit has a one way clutch inside the motor and one inside the chainrings. The clutch inside the motor cancel out the drag when the motor is OFF. The one on the chainrings lets the motor spin without dragging the pedals.

The doubt I had with the GNG Kirstin mentioned is that if you have the motor driving the axle on your left side, then the motion is transmitted to the spindle, which is connected to the crankarms. So your crankarms are spinning if the motor is ON. But I don't know how it's made and maybe I'm wrong as I said before. I know other model of GNG use the same configuration as we're using and the picture above should come from those type of motors.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Whoosh, the Lightest ebike kit has a one way clutch inside the motor and one inside the chainrings. The clutch inside the motor cancel out the drag when the motor is OFF. The one on the chainrings lets the motor spin without dragging the pedals.
all the usual CD motors have the same arrangement: two one way bearings, one between the motor's rotor and the gearbox to let the rotor rest, one between the bottom bracket and the gearbox to let the pedals rest.
About which is the lightest, the comparison is not strictly fair. Most usual CD motors replace the existing chainring and bottom bracket with their CD motor.
The net weight increase is equal to the weight of the motor less the weight of the bottom bracket, about 400g, and chainring about 200g. So fr example, the Gospade CD motor weighs 2.6kgs, the conversion adds only 2.6kgs - 0.6kgs = 2kgs.

Does your 1.6kg headline include the controller? one way bearing in the chainring?

Last edited:

Matteo from Bikee Bike

Jan 18, 2020
Hi Whoosh, the weight of 1.6kg is for the drive Unit only, without accessories. As we explain in the FAQ on the website ( https://lightest.bike/#FAQ ) the fact of not having the bottom bracket included is an adavntage. Despite the name, we think that the quality of the system is not purely within one number, but in the mix of features it offers combined with the weight, dimensions and performance.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I wish you well - I came into this thread not because I am curious about your product, but simply because KirstinS made some good points and you didn't give him the benefit of thorough investigation before answering him.
I sell Chinese made kits as you can see from my signature and I do support for forum members out of office hours. Your criticism against lack of support for Chinese products is unjustified. Most of their products are easy to use, their manuals are usually available online. Support questions you have on the forum are usually about modding or fault finding. They are common issue regardless where the products are made. The Chinese manufacture, importers and resellers deal with support. Those selling on ebay or amazon have to stay within guidelines of those platforms: no telephone, no support email address.
KirstinS made a valid point about retrofit. There is no obvious way of fitting your kit. The motor assembly is heavy and produce a fair amount of twisting in both horizontal and vertical directions.
I think your idea is interesting, similar to GNG, that it does away with the reduction gearbox found in the usual crop of CD kits but come at a big cost to the ease of installation.

Matteo from Bikee Bike

Jan 18, 2020
Hi Woosh, I wish you well and I really appreciate that you pointed out you're selling chinese products: that is not common on forums where people usually exploit the anonymity to attack products they don't know just because they're selling different ones.

About your points:

KirstinS made some good points and you didn't give him the benefit of thorough investigation before answering him
I just gave him further clarifications and rectified some misunderstanding.

Your criticism against lack of support for Chinese products is unjustified
I'm not criticizing , I was just pointing out that the manufacturers are lacking in support, and that gap has been filled by users and retailers. Now the things are getting better, but that's the reason why so many support forums were born. And if you ask yourself where you got all the expertise on those products, chances are that you got that not from the manufacturer but on the forums. On our other product we have a 56-page manual, and each manual is in single language and includesa thorough troubleshooting section. As far as I know, importers are having hard times in getting feedback from manufacturers... and they're big...and they are publicly saying that on the internet.

KirstinS made a valid point about retrofit. There is no obvious way of fitting your kit.
There's no obvious way of fitting because we haven't posted the tutorial on how to do that. Next week we'll release that so Kirstin will have the chance to thoroughly investigate about that. You'll see that the installation is very similar to the GNG you're selling. Is there an obvious way to fit those? Well' it's the same with the Lightest.

The motor assembly is heavy and produce a fair amount of twisting in both horizontal and vertical directions.
What you basing on to say that?

Thanks
Matteo

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'm not criticizing , I was just pointing out that the manufacturers are lacking in support, and that gap has been filled by users and retailers. Now the things are getting better, but that's the reason why so many support forums were born. And if you ask yourself where you got all the expertise on those products, chances are that you got that not from the manufacturer but on the forums. On our other product we have a 56-page manual, and each manual is in single language and includesa thorough troubleshooting section. As far as I know, importers are having hard times in getting feedback from manufacturers... and they're big...and they are publicly saying that on the internet.
find me examples of users asking for manuals on this forum, I don't think you wil find many. All the kits I sell for example have not only their installation manuals posted on my website, LCDs and motor drawings too.
If you look at Chinese sellers, try bmsbattery.com, pswpower.com, luna, bafang, gospade, Lishui, King Meter, greenpedel etc they have plenty of manuals online.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
And if you ask yourself where you got all the expertise on those products, chances are that you got that not from the manufacturer but on the forums.
pretty close but not completely.
The forum is a source of constructive criticism. For example, I got criticised a couple of days ago for fitting an adjustable stem to an MTB. The argument is this: if I call a bike an MTB, some of my customers may want to do a bit of downhill racing with it and adjustable stems are not as safe as fixed stems.
The forum is also a source for 'on trend' products.
If I bring out a kit or a bike, it is normal that members will help me to compare it with existing products.
I learn of course from constructive criticism but the forum users can't help me to select products nor customise them. For example, if I buy a new motor from Shengyi, I will need a setting file for it. It has to be done by my controller suppliers, Lishui. If I want to have a 48V 250W TSDZ2, I ask Tongsheng to make it for me. If I need the trunking cable to be 90cm long, I have to get it from Julet.
As for fault finding, I am afraid that the forum does not help me much. I have a workshop and colleagues for that.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You'll see that the installation is very similar to the GNG you're selling.
I don't sell nor recommend the GNG kits.
In CD kits, I sell only the Bafang BBS01B and the 48V Tongsheng TSDZ2. I did recommend the Gospade kit on this forum because I like it very much although I thought the design is not good enough to beat the two that I stock.
As for the GNG kits, although I don't sell them, I am still interested in their ideas. I think their designs are not good enough.
If someone brings out a new product, my first question is 'Is it better than what we have already?'

Reactions: Deus

Matteo from Bikee Bike

Jan 18, 2020
Hi Woosh, thanks for your thorough feedback.

About the literature on chinese products: I wouldn't want to spend too much time on that as it was just a side note, but not very relevant to this thread. As I said, I'm not saying that there's lack of info, I'm saying that most of the info doesn't come from the manufacturers. If you take a look at the list you made about where you can find the manuals ( or google it) , I think we agree on that.

My apologies for saying that you sell GNG motors, I thought you were selling those because you posted a picture of their component.

About the flexing/ bending: at the beginning of the design we had some flexing, now with a good design we got rid of that.

I extremely appreciate constructive criticism because that helps us improving our products.

One question for you about your last post:

If someone brings out a new product, my first question is 'Is it better than what we have already?'
What specific factors are you considering to evaluate whether a new product is better?

All the best,
Matteo

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What specific factors are you considering to evaluate whether a new product is better?
1. ease of installation
2. maximum noise level
3. water resistance
4. service interval
5. cost of maintenance

Both the Bafang BBS01B and Tongsheng TSDZ2 score well on all those 5 criteria, that's why I sell them. We can't afford to have technical issues on top of the randomness of customers.

On ease of installation, yours has the issue of chain lengthening on top of the usual removal of the bottom bracket. Plus, both Bafang and Tongsheng have simple wiring, much easier to keep it neat.
On noise level, the two extra cogs in your system add to the noise level of your motor. The Bafang runs at 2000 RPM, the Tongsheng at 4000 RPM, the Tongsheng is quieter because its primary torque is lower. Yours will run at much less RPM than the Bafang's RPM.
On water resistance, the key reason why motors fail, both Bafang and Tongsheng do well. Yours is exposed to salt, sand, mud and surface water.
On service interval, both Bafang and Tongsheng need their lubricant renewed every 4,000 miles.

Last edited:

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Gosh, a great deal has happened in this thread since I last came.

Thank you for replying. Some of my initial concerns are alleviated but others remain. And, to be honest, only good old real world testing over time will give several of the answers

The programmable bit sounds good. Although more expensive than a simple cable (like Bafang). Yes you need a laptop but then you need phone for the app so same same really.

UK roads, tracks, dirt, water and muck with the exposed jockey wheels/cogs still worry me for reasons Woosh notes

Anyways no need to repeat what's been said

Send me a test unit and I'll remove my BBS and use this for the same rides I've 9k miles on the BBS and report back!

Best of luck

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

Matteo from Bikee Bike

Jan 18, 2020
Hi Woosh,

On noise level, the two extra cogs in your system add to the noise level of your motor.
That is like saying that without the rear derailleur a bike gets quiter. It might be, but that's not perceivable at all when you're pedalling.

On water resistance, the key reason why motors fail, both Bafang and Tongsheng do well. Yours is exposed to salt, sand, mud and surface water.
I cannot see how other motors are better protected being in the same or worst position as they are closer to the ground.

Hi Kirstin,

Good to have alleviated some of your concerns and for the one that are not gone, time will take care of them.

I frankly don't understand some of them:

The programmable bit sounds good. Although more expensive than a simple cable (like Bafang). Yes you need a laptop but then you need phone for the app so same same really.
If you factor the price for the system, battery, and Superhero pack you'll probably pay less than the Bafang and will have much more opportunity to customize it. The difference between the laptop and the smartphone is that with the phone you can change settings on the fly, while I doubt that anybody would always bring the laptop while going out for a ride...

UK roads, tracks, dirt, water and muck with the exposed jockey wheels/cogs still worry me for reasons Woosh notes
Isn't that what's currently happening with your current rear derailleur?

Send me a test unit and I'll remove my BBS and use this for the same rides I've 9k miles on the BBS and report back!
Sure, all you have to do is to join the Indiegogo campaign!

Thanks for your feedback.
You have a great day,
Matteo

Reactions: Thearcher12

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Matteo,
you did not explain how your product is better than those commonly in the market beside claiming that it's the lightest.
you asked for my view and dismissed it as if I were an idiot.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: ebiker99

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I cannot see how other motors are better protected being in the same or worst position as they are closer to the ground.
their whole motor (and gearbox) are encased, adding one more level of protection.
The only entry point for water and dirt is through the bottom bracket. They both have additional oil seals there.

Matteo from Bikee Bike

Jan 18, 2020
their whole motor (and gearbox) are encased, adding one more level of protection.
The only entry point for water and dirt is through the bottom bracket. They both have additional oil seals there.
So the Lightest is better protected because not only the whole motor and gearbox is encased, but there's only one entry point for dirt and water through the output shaft, which is protected by sealed bearings and oil seals. On the top of that the lightest has only one potential point of entry instead of the two you have on bottom brackets ( one for each side)