New e-bike in my stable...iZip Via Mezza Enlightened

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
...well, I actually bought it for my wife. She wasn't comfortable with the small 16" wheels of my Merc-branded folder (an alloy Brompton clone), so I decided to go for a 20" folder instead.

I didn't want to start a new DIY project and I couldn't find a decent second-hand example, so I purchased a new e-bike. I chose a 36V model so I could exchange parts (battery in particular) with my e-Brompton (currently Bafang-powered).

The iZip Via Mezza Enlightened is designed in the USA, and normally retails at 1100 GBP (distributed by Moore and Large), but I paid a lot less for a display model. It is marketed as a high-end folder (sold by 50-Cycles too), thanks to its quality frame (with long-term warranty) and some not-totally-cheap components (suspended comfy saddle, Trektro disc brake, Shimano Acera + SRAM grip shift 7-speed mega-range, sturdy rear rack, alloy folding pedals, decent rims and tyres, etc.)

The example I purchased was not a demo bike, so it was unused. The trade-off for the lower asking price was that I was taking the risk of a poorly-maintained battery (the seller never charged it since he acquired the bike in August 2009). The green LEDs were indicating plenty of juice though (it's 9Ah by the way), and I gave the motor a quick run to check (all fine). I have now charged the battery for 6 hours as recommended. It's showing 42.7V no-load charge, which is normal for a 36V Lithium-Ion battery (I haven't dismantled the pack yet to check the exact chemistry...my guess is Lithium Polymer).

The motor is a Suzhou Bafang (I think, see photo below), it's 200W nominal, the small controller looks just like the 6-MOSFET e-Crazyman ones I use for my Bafang and Tongxin motors ... pretty standard low-power stuff (i.e. cheap). The main difference is that the controller/motor is not sensor-less. There are 3 phase power wires + 5 Hall-sensor wires inside the spindle-lodged cable.

There's a pedal cadence sensor and a grip throttle (with a handlebar switch to toggle the control method). I have yet to try on the road to see how good (or bad) it rides in the real world. My e-Brompton behaves fantastically well, so the bar is set quite high.

By the way, the 2010 model comes with a front suspension fork (which adds weight), but as far as I know that's the only difference.

Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Rear hub motor labels:

3 phase power wires + 5 Hall sensor wires in a single connector:

Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
The (very badly) protected controller box and wires (bike up side down):

Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Overall there's a great feel of quality as far as the folding bicycle and running gear are concerned, but let me be honest here:
I would have been annoyed to pay the full asking price for an e-bike with such poor weather protection for the electrics (controller box and main connections, just behind the bottom bracket, under the battery case). :mad:
iZip actually warn you on their website, to the point where they recommend NOT to ride in the rain. The user manual is a little less strict, telling you to be careful and to avoid very wet riding conditions, puddles, etc. Well, it's designed in California so I guess they don't really care about rainy days :rolleyes:

I've tried a number of folding e-bikes and the features I like most with the iZip Mezza Enlightened is how it looks, and how sturdy the whole bike feels. Let's hope it delivers its promises on the road ;) Watch this space for updates.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Alright, I've been out riding the bike and tried my usual combination of steep hills and fast downhill gradients, smooth tarmac and bumpy tracks. Overall impressions: great sturdy versatile folder ! :) I'm sure my wife will like it a lot. There's only one disappointment (see below), which can be fixed relatively easily.

I rode in dry sunny weather but the roads were wet...which confirmed my initial fears: the controller casing under the battery REALLY needs to be waterproofed. This area near the bottom bracket gets lots of splashes and there is a definite risk of shorting one of the many connectors that are packed in the box (as per the warnings in the instruction manual and in the online FAQ). I'm brainstorming on how to best protect the electricals in such a tiny space (my Brompton waterproof frame bag would be too large). I don't want to permanently seal the box, I'd rather design a quick-removeable system.

Apart from that, the rest of the bike oozes decent quality. The frame feels very strong and there's very little flex in the steering stem (as opposed to many folders I tried). The chunky tyres and the larger 20" wheels (compared to my e-Brompton's 16" wheels) inspire confidence and swallow potholes. The upright seating position and wide handle bar makes for a relaxed ride, and the suspended saddle adds to the comfort. The rear brake is surprisingly strong, but to be fair I'm not used yet to the front disc brake and I probably need to adjust the pads. The transition between the 7 gears is smooth and the twist grip makes things simple. The "mega range" sprocket offers greater cadence for those very steep hills, but in practice it's not used very often at all. I would personally prefer a bigger chainring to go faster, but as this is an easy swap it's no big deal.

The assistance pulls very well, but it kicks-in a little too hard too early for my taste (in both pedal assist and throttle modes). My e-Brompton is more gradual, and its "3-speed" handlebar switch adds flexibility too. The 200W hub motor definitely delivers less top-end power than my latest-generation 250W Suzhou Bafang (different architecture), but the gearing is good for the wheel size and the assistance in the hills is plentiful (providing the cyclist inputs a reasonable amount of effort). The handlebar switch for toggling between pedal-assist and throttle-control is very handy, and the throttle serves its purpose when starting from a standstill in slow traffic or at a junction for example. My only concern is that the PAS/TAG switch is "flimsy" and too easy to hit with the thumb, and sometimes I would accidentally rotate the throttle and the bike would kick-off !! The thumb-throttle on my e-Brompton is sufficiently isolated (ergonomically-speaking) from my hand movements, so no risk of involuntary spin.

I can't judge the 9Ah battery yet, it is brand new so it needs a few charge cycles before it stabilizes to its full capacity. The voltage went down from 42V to 40V during my less-than-10 miles ride. My Cycle Analyst is firmly installed on my e-Brompton, so I think I won't be bothering to gather statistics about the iZip Via Mezza Enlightened (my wife mileage will be much lower than mine anyway).

Finally, the bike folds easily but the folded footprint is nowhere near as small as my Brompton (which admittedly, sets the bar quite high ! ;)) I struggled to find some storage space for the Via Mezza. The Brompton feels like a racer compared to the iZip folder. The small wheels and thin tyres enable quicker, more responsive handling. The riding position is less relaxed, more performance-oriented (even though I have the tall M-bars...I suppose that's due to my riding geometry and the use of bar-ends). The gearing on my Brompton (6-speed) is less forgiving in very steep hills, but it allows me to ride faster using less cadence.

Those are my first-ride initial thoughts, not a long-term review. I hope it helps future potential buyers to make a purchase decision.

Cheers, Dan

Last edited:

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
This is what's offered at the Walmart (down the street from me)

Walmart.com: I-Zip 2008 EZ Go Hybrid Electric Bicycle: Bikes, Scooters & Skates

It's lead acid, but I'm not sure what similarities it may have with the other I-zip. Probably shape mostly.

I've looked at it off and on, but it's only offered if I order it online from them, so I don't know what it looks like in person.

It rains even less here than California. I would probably still at least wrap the wiring in a plastic sheeting and seal it off with zip ties if I owned one though.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Here in the UK this folder is called the "Via Mezza": iZip added "Enlightened" to the *new* model to distinguish it from the previous generation (which had lead-acid battery, different motor, frame, wheel size, etc.)
Cheers, Dan

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
some sort of heat shrink for the wiring/electrics? or self amalgamating tape perhaps. maybe there is a spray you can use that adds a film of sealant as well.....

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
The connectors, including the motor multicore connector, look identical to what is found on the Wisper, I've never had a problem with these in any kind of weather, and have ridden through hundreds of puddles.

One really cheap solution for waterproofing I saw recently on youtube, is to use baloons with the tips cut off, fed over the connectors, and then secured with a cable tie at the cut end. This gives a sheath with an elasticated end (the bit that one would normally blow through). Sounds silly, but was claimed to be remarkably effective :D .

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Nice review Dan.

I am sure with a little thought you will be able to increase water proofing.

I would love to see a similar review and pics of the Cyclomatic folder.

Regards

Jerry

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Does anyone know of a bag that would be suitable for the Izip Via Mezza enlightened?

alex_h

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2009
The connectors, including the motor multicore connector, look identical to what is found on the Wisper, I've never had a problem with these in any kind of weather, and have ridden through hundreds of puddles.

One really cheap solution for waterproofing I saw recently on youtube, is to use baloons with the tips cut off, fed over the connectors, and then secured with a cable tie at the cut end. This gives a sheath with an elasticated end (the bit that one would normally blow through). Sounds silly, but was claimed to be remarkably effective :D .
yes, the connections shoould be ok in the rain, off course the manufacturer willl always say don't ride in the rain to cover their ass. and remember they are from states where everyone sues for nothing so they have to do it.

BTW I managed to look at one of the Wisper with one of the dealers recently and these look pretty much the same, if they not water resistant enough then it means the ones on Wisper is the same ****, but probably its not cos teh bike has a good reputation

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Does anyone know of a bag that would be suitable for the Izip Via Mezza enlightened?
Hi Tim, I don't know about the bag...it would need to be a big one...just like any other 20" folder I guess.

Do you (at 50-Cycles) sell the 2010 version of the iZip Via Mezza Enlightened with the front suspension fork ? Have you got any further info from the UK supplier (Moore Large ?) with regards to the revised specification ? Finally, as per my earlier email, do you provide replacement parts such as batteries, and at what cost ?

Many thanks, Daniel

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Did you consider the Wisper folder?
I actually looked into every options available in the UK, even the no-name unbranded OEM dodgy cheap eBay knock-offs :p

The Wisper 806 is probably a fine electric folder, with all the bells and whistles that come with a Wisper purchase (warranty, after-sales, comms, etc.). By comparison, the USA-based iZip support looks sub-standard (no replies to emails, vague specifications, lack of reviews, useless instruction manual, no clear information about where to get spare parts, etc.)

However I wanted a 36V machine (not 24V), and the high price tag meant the Wisper wasn't for me (remember, I got a special discount on mine). On a side note, the 806fe is a front-powered e-bike, which from my experience offers good traction on slippery surfaces (2 wheel-drive), but puts weight to the front (which makes the bike harder to fold) and adds visual bulk. Another thing is the battery which sits high on the rear rack, when it could be lodged just behind the seat post to lower the center of gravity (and free luggage space at the same time). On the up side, it's probably a safer site for the controller and wires to be located. Finally, the 7-gears-only iZip means a simpler, lighter design (single twist grip, less cables, simple chainring), whilst offering versatile gearing thanks to the "mega range" rear sprocket.

Here we have an example of 2 similarly-priced e-bikes (RRP) with sufficient differences to set them apart. Horses for courses, try before you buy, etc. ;)

Cheers, Dan

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
However I wanted a 36V machine (not 24V), and the high price tag meant the Wisper wasn't for me (remember, I got a special discount on mine).

Cheers, Dan
The 36 volt version of the 806 arrives later this Spring.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Just get an after market Dahon bag...some are very good. I had a black ruck sack style one that folded in on itself into a small ruck sack (came with my high spec twin suspension folder) our other folders just have blue nylon bags which are OK

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Hi Tim, I don't know about the bag...it would need to be a big one...just like any other 20" folder I guess.

Do you (at 50-Cycles) sell the 2010 version of the iZip Via Mezza Enlightened with the front suspension fork ? Have you got any further info from the UK supplier (Moore Large ?) with regards to the revised specification ? Finally, as per my earlier email, do you provide replacement parts such as batteries, and at what cost ?

Many thanks, Daniel
Moore Large appear to say that 2010 version is due in March. No further information beyond that. The battery cost we were quoted seemed rather high, so I'll need to seek confirmation before I say anything!