New ebiker need an advice

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Mid-drives tend to require a chain replacement around every 500-1500 miles, depending on the amount of power and the type of riding (muddy off-road riding covers the drive chain in what amounts to a grinding paste). Direct drive hub motors fall at the other end of the maintenance scale and might require a bearing swap after 10,000 miles. Geared hub motors fall into the middle and tend to require a clutch & planetary gear replacement after 2,000-4,000 miles or so.
Over 5.5k on my 8fun cst original clutch /planet gears but have replaced bearings.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks for you opinion mate!
I am not going to ride off road and my motor won't be more powerfull than 250w so belive my chain will last for a bit longer

Beside than a chain is not very expensive and in my case performance > costs.

I am still very curious about safe for the motor top speed with TSDZ2 48v 250w and motor.
BTW what's difference between battery with bottom discharge and without it.

Is there any uk based trusted battery suppliers on top of whoosh and www.ebikebatteries.co.uk?

Woosh has said 28mph max derestricted, for battery range stick to 20/21 if you need to go a bit quicker.

You have to remember these are electric assisted pedal bikes not go as fast as you can mopeds. If you want the latter get a 300cc scooter that will do 90mpg.

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
Over 5.5k on my 8fun cst original clutch /planet gears but have replaced bearings.
It sound very alright :)

Woosh has said 28mph max derestricted, for battery range stick to 20/21 if you need to go a bit quicker.

You have to remember these are electric assisted pedal bikes not go as fast as you can mopeds. If you want the latter get a 300cc scooter that will do 90mpg.
20mh is a very good speed imo. I was only wondering what's the limit :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I was only wondering what's the limit
150kw 200bhp motor, range is about 20 miles at those speeds tho:(

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Crazy speed :p I mean real limit in my case ofc :)
Real limit?... How big are your balls?

If you're building the bike, the limit is what your budget will allow (ignoring legal limits of course). You need to define either your budget, or your requirements. Deciding on one will sort of decide the other for you.

I wouldn't get too hung up on top speed. I personally find 30-35mph is about as fast as I'm prepared to ride without motorcycle grade protection. Besides, the real thrill is acceleration, not speed and fast acceleration is much more useful in an urban riding environment than a high top speed.

Last edited:

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
Real limit?... How big are your balls?

If you're building the bike, the limit is what your budget will allow (ignoring legal limits of course). You need to define either your budget, or your requirements. Deciding on one will sort of decide the other for you.

I wouldn't get too hung up on top speed. I personally find 30-35mph is about as fast as I'm prepared to ride without motorcycle grade protection. Besides, the real thrill is acceleration, not speed and fast acceleration is much more useful in an urban riding environment than a high top speed.
The problem is my main requirement to keep motor marked as 250w. I seen somewhere a threat about getting 500w motors labeled as 250w but it was not clear where you can buy them. Can you?

Totally agree with you acceleration > top speed.
My budget for complete set is about 800-1000£

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
If legality is a concern, you'll also have to conform to a 15.5mph assisted limit.

/fun

FYI, 250W stickers are available if you catch my drift...

Last edited:

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
Nice one for that!

Now I I am thinking about something more powerful than 250w :)
What would you recommend?

I am after good acceleration, speed 25-30mh and shop has to be UK based. I rather think about hubdrive motors now.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
ok Woosh I just started a new thread in the right forum.
Thanks again everyone for your answers and advices!