New Gov Commuting Initiative

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Grant Shapps to the rescue. Eh?
£2bn for bike commuting.
Parisians queueing out the doors of secondhand bike shops for 2wheel transport.
Rome gets 150km of bike lanes now.
Ireland Dublin City Council has moved to install more segregated cycle lanes, as the Covid19 lock-down period continues.
Rollin rollin rollin ;-)

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Any money will end up in London mostly.
We need more dedicated cycle/scooter/pedestrian lanes lanes on main routes properly divided to prevent other vehicles using them (and not painted silly lines on a bit of road).
Cut dual carriageways down to one lane and 40mph with a hard barrier to prevent other vehicles using the inside lane for other users .

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Cut dual carriageways down to one lane and 40mph with a hard barrier to prevent other vehicles using the inside lane for other users .
I remember a mate of mine saying to me well over 30 years ago, that he could not understand why when we were building new dual carriageways we didn't build a cycle track along side at the same time (with a barrier from the traffic). He thought this would only add a small percentage to the overall cost of building the new road. It seemed like a very sensible idea to me.

Reactions: Pedant peddler

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
(and not painted silly lines on a bit of road)
They don't just paint silly lines, they paint pictures of squashed bicycles as well.

• :D
  • Agree
Reactions: Croxden and Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They don't just paint silly lines, they paint pictures of squashed bicycles as well.
True, they paint a line and a squashed bike on the road usually no more then 2' wide expecting this to be enough for vehicles to safely pass. I often see vehicles give no extra room when passing and many don't slow down, imv a cyclist should be given a four or five feet berth at least and then over taking speed should be reduced.

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
Following Borris' announcement. From Wednesday, throw the old bike back in the shed and get the car out for a long drive, (although not to Wales or Scotland).

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I will be be going on long bike rides again after this week, I have 3 or 4 days of outside house maintenance to finish and will have saved myself about 3.5k sterling by doing the work myself during the lock down conditions.

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
I think the most signficant par tof the transport announcements was the fast tracing ie bringing forward to next month ) from next year) the trialing of electric scooters.
But reports from other cities that have had them wasn't encouraging .
and in London we see them used anyway...
Grant Shapps, Transport Secretary, has announced that plans to evaluate electric scooters in the UK will move forward from next year, to next month, while the scheme is also expanded from the original four future transport regions, to all regions of the country.

That could lead to the legalisation of e-scooter rental schemes from the likes of Bolt and Bird, while also funding a boom in e-scooter ownership. A Department for Transport update said that the change in the evaluation has the "potential to see rental vehicles on UK roads as early as June.
"

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I nearly splatted one in Horsham yesterday evening with a middle aged user, he wasn't expecting a 3.5t van to come round the corner of a quiet residential street when all was quiet. He shat himself looking at his face and then decided too late to turn the front light on.
Tbh they will become a menace on the road and some will die, covid might not get them but the escooter will.

nicholasj

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 17, 2020
It's a bit of a shame us pensioners get no incentives for buying an ebike. I fully agree with the cycle to work scheme etc. It's the right thing to do, but living on a pension makes an ebike expensive. They could at least reduce the VAT. Mini rant!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's a bit of a shame us pensioners get no incentives for buying an ebike. I fully agree with the cycle to work scheme etc. It's the right thing to do, but living on a pension makes an ebike expensive. They could at least reduce the VAT. Mini rant!
Now out of the EU we can remove the VAT altogether and give a cash grant towards purchase as we do with e-cars.

Reactions: nicholasj

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
I expect VAT and all taxes come to that will have to increase at some point to help pay for all the costs of the lockdown.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Depends on how money is spent and wasted promoting cycling - Essex county splurged out on a cycle lane in my town that nobody wants inc. cycle groups

Also including steps on a recently built cycle path...

• :D
Reactions: sjpt and flecc

MKCyclist

Just Joined
Jun 16, 2020
A lot of European countries already provide financial support for e-bikes, quite often at a local level.

• Agree

nicholasj

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 17, 2020
Thank you for this. But just look at where the UK comes in all of it! Rather poor.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thank you for this. But just look at where the UK comes in all of it! Rather poor.
Agreed, but that's the fault of the population as much as government.

When only 3% here cycle but most are car drivers, there's severe limits on what governments can provide for cycling at the expense of cars if they ever want to get elected again.

It's dead easy in the Netherlands where 70% cycle at least once daily, most more often. When their government started their cycling facilities program back in the early 1970s, it was due to intense public pressure and anti road-death campaigns since many still cycled there. Here in Britain utility cycling had already virtually disappeared then, large numbers of cycle dealers had shut down and there was no campaign for cycling facilities. All the public pressure was for more and better roads for their cars.

The result is what we have and asked for.

Reactions: nicholasj

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
People in UK are to damn lazy to make the effort. For the most part money rules there world and having all the latest must haves and expensive cars.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When we dont need no ro.. err, bike lanes..
I'm just off down the pub
It will only ever happen for a very few privileged people, certainly not for our 40 million drivers.

They can't even avoid colliding with each other on our roads with white guidance lines, crash barriers, signs, speed limits, traffic lights, roundabouts and flyovers.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Related Articles

Advertisers