New Gtech ebike

Rick James

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 19, 2015
Pretty good hatchet job all round. OK so its basic, some people want basic. Oh, and its 100% overpriced, its biggest failing in my view, but it is the only full size real road bike around at 16kg. I also do like the belt drive although accept that this is only possible without deraillieur gears.
I would like to know how it manages inclines without gears. does the motor compensate.......Does it need gears or is it a dead duck on medium slopes?
I have one just now on trial. It's actually v impressive, especially given the low power output and torque. I have tried it alongside a Bergamont and that came off worse - just felt heavy and cumbersome. The g-tech is so much lighter and very easy to ride without any assistance. The carbon chain is slick and it free wheels brilliantly. But it is hugely over priced for the basics and what I think would prove to be a pretty limited battery life. It does cope perfectly well without gears, especially uphill, given it's response to pedal pressure, but I think it's definitely a gentle potterer rather than one for serious cycling of any great distance. It looks good too - simple and uncluttered. If it were less than £1000, I'd buy it, - probably!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
How much do you want to pay for the carbon belt?

Freego Raptor 5.5Ah £799, 14.5kgs.

Reactions: cwah and jonathan75

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
That G Tech bike advert in the national press is such good news for the e-bike industry,for the basic spec and small battery it is overpriced compared to others. But it has focused e-bikes into mainstream thoughts rather than bikes for enthusiasts.
It has already got customers,who had not even thought about an electric bike, to start looking. Even if they buy a G Tech they will soon discover the limited range with that small battery but next time they will be more knowledgable.
The cost of full page national press advertising is not cheap!
Well done G Tech.
Wonder how many they will sell?
KudosDave

Reactions: Crockers

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
dealers will push them if the margin is good.

Rick James

Aug 19, 2015
Are they for sale through dealers. I only had a quick glance at the advert but I assumed they were an Internet only sale.
Do others know otherwise?
KudosDave
As far as I know, it's only direct sales. And in fairness, I've decided to return mine - they've been no quibble, only wanting feedback on my experience withy the bike. That's impressive marketing, whatever else people want to say. All the alternatives offered here - not on 14 days trial, I suspect, which is fair enough - not an easy offer to match!

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Rick....I think we all were very fair in our assessment of spec and price....did you do a range check? ....they quote 30 mile range on a 5.6 Ah battery,I think that is very optimistic....I usually estimate 3 miles per Ah is a fair range with average rider weight and average terrain.
Also....the lack of gears,did this cause difficulty in hill climbing,it appears to have an SWX spec motor rather than a BPM motor so I suspect that steep hills would be a struggle.
If I stripped all the gears,lights and halved the battery size on say my Kudos Cobra bike the weight would come down to about 18kg and the price would be about £750.00 but I think it would be criticised on lack of range (probably 15 miles) and hill climbing ability.
I just don't see this G Tech bike as anything remarkable,except the high price and the marketing.
It's my feeling that most people buying an e-bike do their homework,at £1700.00 it is not an impulse purchase....at that price level there are a lot of higher spec/prestigious brands (KTM) or at half that price there are similar spec bikes that are well known to this forum.
KudosDave

D

Deleted member 4366

As far as I know, it's only direct sales. And in fairness, I've decided to return mine - they've been no quibble, only wanting feedback on my experience withy the bike. That's impressive marketing, whatever else people want to say. All the alternatives offered here - not on 14 days trial, I suspect, which is fair enough - not an easy offer to match!
Can you tell us why you're sending it back? What is bad about it, and what is good?

Reactions: Kudoscycles

Rick James

Aug 19, 2015
Can you tell us why you're sending it back? What is bad about it, and what is good?
Hi. I'm returning it pretty much for all the reasons Kudos Dave suggests - it's a lot of money for a pretty uncluttered bike which won't have a great range and doesn't have any "extras" with it, which I'd expect at that price. It does cope surprisingly well on hills but, without gears, it would frustrate me, and I don't think it will have the range it claims. I used half it's charge on about 6 miles and didn't have it on all the time. It's very easy to ride without the power, but then most people probably won't ride far like that - you'd just buy a very lightweight bike without a motor! But I'm impressed by their willingness to let me have it for a fortnight and I guess with good marketing it will appeal to some riders - my wife loved it but agreed alternatives would offer more. I'm looking at Raleigh Motus or Kalkhoff Impukse. Any thoughts anyone?

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Rick....thanks for your posting,it pretty much agrees with my assessment but there was always a chance that G Tech had found some technology not available to the rest of us.
They really didn't have much choice about the 14 day home trial,that is encompassed within the distant selling regulations that we all must abide with,but they made it a selling point,quite clever really.
The G Tech on line manual is an impressive work,as is all the marketing presentation,which will attract some newbies to the pedelec world.
It got me thinking that maybe there is a market for a simple lightweight e-bike but how many people really want to be restricted to such a small range and the lack of gears would place a lot more load on the battery to climb hills (less rider power input) which would also reduce the range.
I suspect that a rider in a hilly area with over enthusiastic range intentions would end up pushing the bike up a steep hill,get home and be put off e-bikes forever.
Fortunately I think that most will do their homework first,go chat to their nearest e-bike dealer and establish the right bike for their usage.
The Motus is a good bike,but please also include the KTM Fun,the latter is the more performance orientated bike.
I am attending Eurobike next week to see all the latest KTM models,will report back after.
KudosDave

Last edited:

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
You couldn't sell me a bike, electric or non electric, with a single gear. If I put either of my ebikes into a gear which is comfortable to climb hills, it won't be comfortable to go fast on the flat roads. If I'm on the flat and put the bike into a gear which is comfortable to go fast on the flats, I'd never get up the hills.

For me, when it comes to gears, more is better.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I've got a little single-speed folding bike with a tiny hub-motor in its 14" front wheel. Its top assist speed is about 12 mph. It's hill-climbing is surprisingly good. I've ridden it up some hills that many ebikes would struggle with. I thought it would be very inconvenient to have only one gear, but it isn't bad at all. Obviously, it would be a problem if you wanted to go 15 mph or more; however, most people don't go that fast on a non-electric bike.

I think the main drawback with the G Tech bike is its price. As Trex pointed out, the Freego is £1000 cheaper and it's lighter.