New Gtech ebike

C

Cyclezee

That doesn't look half as stylish tbh. Also it's worth noting that you cannot get the weight of it anywhere.

I would be interested if the Gtech doesn't work out though.
The weight of the EMU with 10Ah battery is 23Kg, the Gtech is 16KG.

If the EMU only had the same battery capacity as the Gtech, didn't have 7 speed Nexus hub gears, mudguards, lights, rear carrier, kickstand, LCD display etc., the weight would not be far from that of the Gtech.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
The weight of the EMU with 10Ah battery is 23Kg, the Gtech is 16KG.

If the EMU only had the same battery capacity as the Gtech, didn't have 7 speed Nexus hub gears, mudguards, lights, rear carrier, kickstand, LCD display etc., the weight would not be far from that of the Gtech.

Sorry didn't see this post before I edited mine.

Aesthetically it looks old fashioned and the point is it does weigh 23kgs for whatever reason.

I might have a look if the Gtech isn't right but tbh I would be more interested in the momentum upstart. Although my problem with that bike is the battery placement.

Fingers crossed the Gtech is as good as it looks.

C

Cyclezee

Only yesterday a lady who has had Gtech for a week came to see me, she is sending it back as she is not happy with it.
She had a test ride on an EMU and an eZee, both of which she preferred and is currently deciding which to go for.

I can see how the Gtech would appeal to the fashion conscious, but for me it is a case of form over function, but one man's meat is another man's poison.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Only yesterday a lady who has had Gtech for a week came to see me, she is sending it back as she is not happy with it.
She had a test ride on an EMU and an eZee, both of which she preferred and is currently deciding which to go for.

I can see how the Gtech would appeal to the fashion conscious, but for me it is a case of form over function, but one man's meat is another man's poison.

The Gtech I'm getting comes fitted with mudguards, lights, kickstand etc. It just seems so well designed.

We'll see I guess.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The G-Tech was way too much money, but looks worth a go for £1,000 if you want light assist and are not fussed about a long range.

Reactions: Fingers

lukewilson78

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
I got a Gtech sport and city for my gf a fortnight ago and can say that they are surprisingly light and more importantly they 'feel' light. Mine also came with the mudguards etc etc and even with all the guff it's light. I'm loving bowling into work on it and my cycling-averse gf did a couple of 10 mile rides right off the bat, hadn't been on a bike for 10-odd years. They are relatively highly priced but then they are a well thought out design. For example, nearly everything on the bike can be adjusted using the 5mm Allen key located under the battery. Also the range of the bike is amazing considering the size and weight of those batteries. The carbon belt is also a real plus if you're using the bike whilst wearing good clothes,this is now totally feasable as you don't need to cycle to work in one set of clothes and change into another set whilst the cycled-in set dry somewhere! Yeah, so far so good.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaundice

lukewilson78

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Well Just joined Luke Wilson.
Thank you for that excellent report.
I am sure that an advertising executive could not have done any better.
I'm no advertising executive. Sorry, I wasn't aware I had to wait a minimum amount of time before posting! There was a discussion, I joined in. I believe that's the whole point of a forum. I've attached a pic of my bike and my gfs bike. You want today's newspaper in the picture or anything Mike Killay? uploadfromtaptalk1456688461470.jpeg

lukewilson78

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
The bikes cost £1065 each, in case anyone wondered? I see at the start of this thread it says they are £1695, they may be were but they definitely aren't now. I got these direct from Gtech.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaundice

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Fair play, Luke.

We have had a handful of new members posting just to sing the praises of a certain make of bike.

Your post didn't look like one of those to me, but hopefully you can understand why some members are suspicious.

Reactions: lukewilson78

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Your post didn't look like one of those to me, but hopefully you can understand why some members are suspicious.
But you are Smart Rob... :rolleyes: <ducking>

Reactions: trex

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

lukewilson78

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Fair play, Luke.

We have had a handful of new members posting just to sing the praises of a certain make of bike.

Yeah I get that. It's just a shame that, as a new member, I was pounced upon and it immediately leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I'm sure the forum is friendly as a whole, it's just a shame this had to happen. Thankfully, i've never experienced that on any other forum. Pretty disappointed that I didn't get any sort of reply from the guy. Ah well.

Reactions: rippedupno1

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Yeah I get that. It's just a shame that, as a new member, I was pounced upon and it immediately leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I'm sure the forum is friendly as a whole, it's just a shame this had to happen. Thankfully, i've never experienced that on any other forum. Pretty disappointed that I didn't get any sort of reply from the guy. Ah well.

I bought one a 10 days or so go.

I love it! So smooth and well designed. And light.

And like you say, the carbon chain is a revelation. Will probably be buying the missus one too and plenty of people at work are seriously thinking of one as well now.

There is a bit of snobbishness about the bikes, although I would say the majority, the vast majority on here are more than helpful. Contrast that with ringing up a couple of Ebike stores and they were pretty pathetic tbh. Mainly just interested in selling their old stock. The one in London Bridge wanted to charge me 1300 for a 24 kg Raleigh I'd seen online for 900. He went down to 1100 with the promise they would fix it when it went wrong.... Not really the best sales angle. Plus he said the Gtech is basically a vacuum cleaner on wheels....I asked if he tried it. He stumbled and said no. I asked him if he would give me any of his Ebikes on a 14 day free trial with free postage and packaging both ways if I didn't like it. He laughed and said no
one would do that....

Anyway. I'm glad you like it as much as I do. One of the best leisure things I've ever bought.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
I see they are now offering free kick stand, helmet, mudguards, lights. All worth £99 So the bike is now less than £900.. Looks good value to me..

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Forum members were trying to be protective to someone who was proposing to buy a bike that seemed expensive at £1700.00 and trying to suggest alternatives.
The fact it has been bought down to less than £1000.00 would seem to justify those comments.
There was a time when the forum was flooded with manufacturers pushing their product through plants,who tended to talk about their bike in unrealistic glowing terms,this was especially true of members with few postings,hence the questioning of authenticity.
I still question the range that can be achieved on an e-bike with no gears,especially in a hilly area,despite the lightness of the bike,after all you cannot assist the motor up a steep hill by changing the gear torque.
Does anybody know the range of the G-Tech bike with average rider input and over average terrain,despite reading all the current postings nobody seems to offer that info....yet that is one of the most important criteria when members are considering an e-bike purchase.
KudosDave

Last edited:

lukewilson78

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Forum members were trying to be protective to someone who was proposing to buy a bike that seemed expensive at £1700.00 and trying to suggest alternatives.
The fact it has been bought down to less than £1000.00 would seem to justify those comments.
There was a time when the forum was flooded with manufacturers pushing their product through plants,who tended to talk about their bike in unrealistic glowing terms,this was especially true of members with few postings,hence the questioning of authenticity.
I still question the range that can be achieved on an e-bike with no gears,especially in a hilly area,despite the lightness of the bike,after all you cannot assist the motor up a steep hill by changing the gear torque.
Does anybody know the range of the G-Tech bike with average rider input and over average terrain,despite reading all the current postings nobody seems to offer that info....yet that is one of the most important criteria when members are considering an e-bike purchase.
KudosDave
I got told by Gtech that the average range is approx 30 miles. The battery has 4 light segments and I'm at 8 miles per segment, over a fairly flat run to work. So 30 miles seems like a fair number.

Reactions: Fingers

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I got told by Gtech that the average range is approx 30 miles. The battery has 4 light segments and I'm at 8 miles per segment, over a fairly flat run to work. So 30 miles seems like a fair number.
Those battery indicators are normally a long way out, in an optimistic way because they measure voltage. Voltage drop/capacity is not linear on any battery, but with lithium batteries the non linearity is even worse.

I can't find the battery capacity on the web page (which is full of BS) and I note that they continue to insist that's it's an 'electronic bike', which it is not.

Also, 'Aircraft grade aluminum' I suspect is another piece of marketing nonsense. I'd guess it's 6061 or 7075 aluminum alloy. (Don't know for sure as website fails to elaborate).

Another way to put this would be: It's made out if the same stuff that the vast majority of bikes are made of, and have been since the turn of the century.

While I'm sure it's a good choice for some, for me the deliberate obfuscation of fundamental specifications is a big turn off.

However, I'm guessing I'm not the intended demographic.

Last edited: