New Gtech ebike

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
I'm in the area, so a hassle free test ride looks fair. Do you have any data to prove the 10 miles range claim? That would help me decide, especially if you've ridden one? As a lot of ebikes are circa 24 Kilos, 50% heavier than the Gtech, what about power to weight ratio, is that not a factor? I did say earlier I live on the Somerset levels and hills are just not around, except for bridges over the M5!
But when you talk about the power to weight ratio it is based on the all up weight not just that of the bike.

Breezy

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2016
Weston Super Mare
That was exactly my idea. The comment I was unlikely to get more than 10 miles from a 5.6 ah battery depends on so many variables, bike weight, my wife's weight, how hard she pedals, terrain, wind, temperature and battery condition! I did notice some of the bikes on Kudoscycles quoted 30 to 60 miles range, you can understand where such a range comes from

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
My two bikes are very different but share the same capacity battery. I can and do ride one of them significantly further than the other on the road which must be due to the bike design. This difference can be as much as 50% (estimated figures because I haven't tested this) but it is very very noticeable and is aparently on every ride.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no they build custom packs and you can choose what cells you want and how many ;)

Breezy

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2016
Weston Super Mare
Just had a look at the Onbike website as its also in Worcester. The Raleigh Motus claims;
Bosch 400Wh battery – 190km max range with Eco
From what I've learned on here that sounds impossible!
Also their lowest priced step through bike is £1.999 far above my price range unfortunately. The other bikes in that price range don't state range. But as im in Worcester and onbike is so close I will visiit them

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it is because they test them on the moon ;)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just had a look at the Onbike website as its also in Worcester. The Raleigh Motus claims;
Also their lowest priced step through bike is £1.999 far above my price range unfortunately. The other bikes in that price range don't state range. But as im in Worcester and onbike is so close I will visiit them
I look a t it like its a car. The manufacturers quote optimistic figures and you might get 50 to 60% of that.. Its the same with the bikes.

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
because you have to get there and back with no power first to get that range on the moon.

can none of you peddle a bike to mach 19 then :D

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Also their lowest priced step through bike is £1.999 far above my price range unfortunately. The other bikes in that price range don't state range
These range claims are utter rubbish, and any company that claims them should be treated with great suspicion.

You can easily get more than 190km out of any battery. Just switch it off. Simple.

You should use a figure of 12wh/mile to compare machines, making 400wh a 33 mile bike.

You might get as low as 6wh/mile, at which point you'd be better off with a non powered bike.

So claims that suggest 3.4wh/mile are at best misleading. I'd go as far as saying that's fraudulent.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• Agree

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Back to the range question. In the information pack for the giant it suggests 200km is possible on the 500 battery. Tonight I rode 48km with a few big hills and used 38% of the battery (Acording to the display) it's probable that the last 40% could disapear much quicker than the first over less miles

• Informative

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
So a good rule of thumb is to expect 20 miles of normal use from a 250W machine?
My first bike was an emtb with a bosch 400 and even after 3 years of use I never got less than 30 miles, well 25 and extrapolating with what's left as it wasn't flat. And that's on turbo and going up hills. But I do use my legs as much ad I can.
This really is a can of worms question and you would be well advised to ignore everything you have read.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no as under 15mph the motor can pull a lot more wattage than this esp up very steep hills and i think eddie drained his bosch 500w in 10 miles constant climb up a mountain.

under 15mph these bosch yamaha motors can pull 700w at 17a

• Informative

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
no as under 15mph the motor can pull a lot more wattage than this esp up very steep hills and i think eddie drained his bosch 500w in 10 miles constant climb up a mountain.

under 15mph these bosch yamaha motors can pull 700w at 17a
Yes but can doesn't mean does...

• Agree