New Gtech ebike

spikey

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2013
Gtech known for their cordless vacuum cleaner, has just launched their first ebike. Notable features are 16kg weight, no gears, no chain but uses carbon belt, and custom bottle battery with builtin controller. Looking at the videos and comments it guess it maybe a torque sensing. It cost £1695 and their are two version, a sports and city, seems a pricey for me but does like good. They have a 14 day trial with free return if someone may like to try it out and report back here on the performance.

http://www.gtech.co.uk/ebike.html

Twangman

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2012
London
They sent my partner a mail shot as we have their cleaner and she prefers it to her Dyson. I looked at their site it's certainly overpriced and there is not a lot of spec detail ie its battery capacity It seems to have regular bike brakes and I can't see a LCD screen. Price wise seems a very hefty mark up? I doubt if the regular ebike manufacturers will lose sleep over this.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Their rustless Aluminium sounds pretty advanced . Who writes their blurb and technical stuff ? That battery looks a bit small too , no mention of the aH . I guess my Batribike Folder must be made of the same aluminium , as that hasn`t rusted either in 5 years !!

Reactions: hopbackguy

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Oh look at where the battery is, see how she keeps avoiding it with her knees? Makes me think that putting the bottle battery on the top bar of my womens Riverside 3 is pretty damned low and out of the way compared!

The marketing speak is aimed directly at the houswife, simple explanations for the over 30's mum at home.

spikey

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2013
I found the spec in their pdf manual. Pretty standard spec. Battery capacity pretty low.

EBIKE TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION
Battery model 1016A0010
eBike model EB01
Battery 36V 5.6Ah Li-Ion
Charging period 3 hours
Battery charger output 42V DC 2.0A
Weight 16kg
Frame 20” Aluminium
Motor 36V 250W Rear Hub
Range 30 miles
Modes - Off, High Power, Low Power
Drive Train - Gates Carbon Drive
Brakes - Linear Pull Brakes
Wheels 700C Aluminium
Tyres 700 x 35C
Minimum inside leg 73cm (29in)
Maximum inside leg 94cm (37in)

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Hmm, I only got as far as 'Electronic bike' before concluding that they don't know what they are talking about.

Electronics is about data, information or control. None of those things make a bike go along.

Reactions: hopbackguy

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Nice looking bike though. To most people's eyes it looks like a normal bike.

No mention of torque and that battery capacity is disappointing to say the least.

PhilX

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2012
Seaford East Sussex
Probably won't be trading the Haibike in for one.
Dyson is very innovative and I hope they sell a huge number of them... Quite looking forward to having clean cycle paths. Covered in leaves in Autumn they are.
PhilX

C

Cyclezee

My wife loves her Gtech vacuum cleaner, it's one of the best presents that I bought her:oops:
It had the added benefit of relieving back pain when carrying upstairs which has freed her up to perform other chores around the house:)

If the bikes were £999, I guess they would clean up:rolleyes:

Folkranger

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 16, 2015
Pretty good hatchet job all round. OK so its basic, some people want basic. Oh, and its 100% overpriced, its biggest failing in my view, but it is the only full size real road bike around at 16kg. I also do like the belt drive although accept that this is only possible without deraillieur gears.
I would like to know how it manages inclines without gears. does the motor compensate.......Does it need gears or is it a dead duck on medium slopes?