New VAT rules for overseas sellers supplying goods to UK customers - Any experiences yet?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i like any speakers with a flat frequency response but the bass and mid top drivers are in there own space and not connected inside and the 2 bass ports at the front are only connected to the bass driver.

its really hard the use front ports and get a near flat frequency response why they are so expensive even the amp on the back has its own section to live in on the back.

i can hear the difference as soon as the kick and snare drum kicks in but give it a go ;)

sound wave
22 hours ago
you need the sub the mid range is so flat the bass driver is just not big enough with the power they have i have genellec 1038s with a 15inc driver BOOM!

Daniel Dennis
9 hours ago
I agree, I ended up adding an Adam Sub10, and just a little bit was PERFECT. Super happy with my monitor setup now!

sound wave
8 hours ago
@Daniel Dennis when i was mixing in a studio years ago had the same problem with the SCM100ASL Pro 12inc driver so its just not there small speakers thus why i went for the genelec 1038s as can adjust them to my room on the back with the dip switches on the back of the amp.

;)

D

Deleted member 33385

i like any speakers with a flat frequency response but the bass and mid top drivers are in there own space and not connected inside and the 2 bass ports at the front are only connected to the bass driver.

its really hard the use front ports and get a near flat frequency response why they are so expensive even the amp on the back has its own section to live in on the back.

i can hear the difference as soon as the kick and snare drum kicks in but give it a go ;)

sound wave22 hours ago
you need the sub the mid range is so flat the bass driver is just not big enough with the power they have i have genellec 1038s with a 15inc driver BOOM!

Daniel Dennis
9 hours ago
I agree, I ended up adding an Adam Sub10, and just a little bit was PERFECT. Super happy with my monitor setup now!

sound wave8 hours ago
@Daniel Dennis when i was mixing in a studio years ago had the same problem with the SCM100ASL Pro 12inc driver so its just not there small speakers thus why i went for the genelec 1038s as can adjust them to my room on the back with the dip switches on the back of the amp.

;)

Soundwave, that's opening up a whole other massive and hotly debated subject which can and does literally go on forever! Yes I can hear the difference using Sennheiser HD600 headphones... mastering is something nearly everyone but the big studios f*ck up - look at the equipment list in The Big Room at Peter Gabriel's Real World Studios:

...in "Monitoring", in amongst all of the dizzying priced equipment, there's a "Panasonic RX-FT530". It's rubbish! But if your mix sounds great on that and everything that comes before, you've hit the nail on the head!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Soundwave, that's opening up a whole other massive and hotly debated subject which can and does literally go on forever! Yes I can hear the difference using Sennheiser HD600 headphones... mastering is something nearly everyone but the big studios f*ck up - look at the equipment list in The Big Room at Peter Gabriel's Real World Studios:

...in "Monitoring", in amongst all of the dizzying priced equipment, there's a "Panasonic RX-FT530". It's rubbish! But if your mix sounds great on that and everything that comes before, you've hit the nail on the head!
ns10s are **** but it is making the mix work on them why they are used so much its what the poor ppl have to listen to at the end of the day.

you need to master a track for the masses to listen too at the end of the day in a studio why you want a flat frequency response in the first place that does not come cheap atc pmc and genelec all have there pros and cons as they should its like marmite you either love it or hate it why it is so important you test them in your room first if possible its a very expensive mistake buying these things blind and why you need cheap reference monitors to a-b the mix to get the best sound from both.

just because it is expensive does not mean it is any good at the end of the day if you cant hear the difference.

D

Deleted member 33385

ns10s are **** but it is making the mix work on them why they are used so much its what the poor ppl have to listen to at the end of the day.

you need to master a track for the masses to listen too at the end of the day in a studio why you want a flat frequency response in the first place that does not come cheap atc pmc and genelec all have there pros and cons as they should its like marmite you either love it or hate it why it is so important you test them in your room first if possible its a very expensive mistake buying these things blind and why you need cheap reference monitors to a-b the mix to get the best sound from both.

just because it is expensive does not mean it is any good at the end of the day if you cant hear the difference.

No matter how expensive it gets, for the low quality kit that everyone else uses (apart from clubs and club music) - it's about mixing for sufficient prescence of all of your instruments in the mid-range. It's why a lot of producers use rubbish like the Panasonic, the NS10 and Aurotones to check. I'm as wrong as everyone else, to be utterly honest. At the moment, because I'm not mastering, I just use a Focusrite VRM, to get rough pieces into the right ballpark:

...and my Sennheiser HD600 headphones. When I eventually mix things for sale (no time at the moment), I'll get at least three different sets of studio monitor speakers... or pay someone to do a better job than I can.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

guy on YouTube was banging about his 8k 24inc sub as nothing could beat it yeah well thats 2 times the size is 1000kg and is 48k plus vat and postage ;)

i want 2 pmsl ;)

i have the hd 650s btw had them since they came out excellent headphones for mixing on ;)

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

guy on YouTube was banging about his 8k 24inc sub as nothing could beat it yeah well thats 2 times the size is 1000kg and is 48k plus vat and postage ;)

i want 2 pmsl ;)

i have the hd 650s btw had them since they came out excellent headphones for mixing on ;)

I bet those aren't ported - I hate bass ports... inaccurate, and they huff!

650s are supposed to be better at bass, but I like the flatness of the 600s... weird how now that I'm older, that bass doesn't obssess me as much as it used to!

Reactions: soundwave
D

Deleted member 33385

Check out some masterclasses, they're a real ear-opener ;)

I enjoyed this one especially, even though Deadmou5 isn't what I listen to:

...lots of other masterclasses by artists you might like.

It's great that you can still buy brand new drivers for nearly all of Sennheiser's pro audio headphones, as well as almost every other part:

...Genelec take note!

Last edited:
Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

that's more my thing ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
too slow ;)

D

Deleted member 33385

Nice! The great thing about the drums on that track is that the midrange and high freqs are present enough, so that you still hear something of them, even on rubbish phone speakers. Well mixed down! You will hate Daniel Lanois' work, but he gets paid millions to make sure every mix sounds great on every speaker:

...it's deafening on my HD600 headphones, because of all the many multiband compresors on pretty much everything, in layers. His engineers are geniuses.

I also listen to classical. No, nobody else can make any sense of my musical tastes either. The trouble is, if you're listening to other people's work, you're not making your own.

D

Deleted member 33385

Well worth listening to:

...old but good. Mastered on SA90 tape. For the drum bounce dynamics you get from magnetic tape.

You might like Quoth:

...may be a bit slow.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Nothing to do with bikes, but...

EU website purchases: the import charges UK customers have to pay
Consumers now face UK VAT, rather than local rates, as well as customs duty and courier admin charges
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/jan/21/eu-website-purchases-the-import-charges-uk-customers-have-to-pay

When I looked at Aliexpress the other day, I thought VAT was being added at time of order?

The small value consignment relief (£15) has gone.

Customs clearance can be £8 through Royal Mail but more through most others.

Above £135, you could also find yourself charged duties.
Several experiences with items from AliExpress.

Every single one had VAT added at time of ordering/paying.
Every single one arrived without any additional charges at all.
Every single one has been faster than I have ever previously experienced. (The odd package has previously arrived fairly speedily, but very much not all of them.) Removing most of the customs clearance delay appears to have helped.

The one area that perplexes me is that the value declared, on a label attached, is a dollar amount that appears to be less than I paid!

Imagine an item listed at £10. In cart, 20% VAT gets added. At placing the order, P&P gets added - plus VAT on P&P. Let's take the simple case where P&P is "free". The cart ends up at £12 which I pay. They send it and declare, say, 5 dollars as value. So it appears that VAT due is just one dollar! Or do they have to register the payment I actually made and remit £2 to HMRC?

Above £135 it is treated as commercial so they do not charge VAT. You end up being responsible for the VAT and customs clearance charges. And I can't see any (legal) way round that limit.

Last edited:

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Reactions: quackstar84

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
EU need some street cred following the vaccine debacle they created.

D

Deleted member 33385

that's more my thing ;)
A friend of mine recently switched from these (with the sub unit and room sampling):

...to something else and now every one of his masters, sounds like being stabbed in the eardrums repeatedly with a cocktail stick... He should have stuck with the Genelecs.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0087_03.JPG

i dont need a puny sub woofer
woof ;)