new woosh conversion kits

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi all

In case any of you are interested, Woosh will be doing conversion kits from around the third week of May onwards.

There will be three kits on offer:

1) Front BPM kit on 26" wheel
2) Rear CST kit on 26" wheel
3) BBS01 crank drive kit

Each of the kits will be supplied with pedal assist sensor (PAS), thumb throttle, brake sensors (either two inline brake sensors for cable operated brakes, or two Hall effect sensors for hydraulic brakes) and a 36V 15AH square bottle-type battery.
With regard to warranty, we will offer 12 month warranty if the kit is fitted by an approved Woosh installer.
On that note, we would be happy to hear from any experienced forum members who might be keen to be listed as approved installers.
The pay would be negotiable between the customer and the installer, and we are not looking to take a cut of these fees, we are only interested in having the kits properly installed.
If you are interested, please get in touch with me.

Hatti

Want a new bike? Call me!
Hatti @ Wooshbikes.co.uk
01702 435566 http://wooshbikes.co.uk

Reactions: Arbol and john h

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Hatti, I know that at this stage you can not cover all possibilities, but I would hope that you plan to stock other wheel sizes. As you know, lots of hybrid bikes use 700c wheels. Are you able to give any estimate of likely kit prices yet?
I would also like to know if, when you say a thumb throttle, the bike can be ridden on throttle alone or if you have to pedal all the time to run the motor. Also can I ask the same question about the throttles on your Scirocco, and Scirocco two bikes?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thank you neptune. We'll bring in the 700C a little later. If someone is in a hurry, we have spokes for you to build your own 700C wheels.
I have posted the price of the kits in the pedelecs database, the front BPM kit will sell for £549, the rear XF08C kit £499, the BBS01 £649, all with 15AH battery and LCD.
Would you like me to add you in as installer?

Hatti

Reactions: john h

Oldie

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2013
Scotland
These look like good deals Hatti.

I'm not looking to be an installer but would just like to say that I've found the back up from Woosh to be excellent and I have recommended you to a number of friends since buying my bikes from you.

Keep up the good work. Alan

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
May I ask how do you think about legality? I opened a thread:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/european-regulations-one-more-time.17389/

and in post #9, you can see:

"C. e-bikes sold by reputable UK / European vendors, but which are non-electric bikes with an electric kit. I believe many vendors follow that path. Are they being illegal??? I cannot imagine that."

It seems your (nice) products fall into this description: you will add electric motor kits to existing bikes. All the motors are 250W nominal continuous, and I am pretty sure max speed is limited to 25km/h, so apparently everything is legal.

But according to some comments in that thread, it seems it is necessary to follow a legal process to "legalize" the e-bike. How do you sort that out? Thanks.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
May I ask how do you think about legality? I opened a thread:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/european-regulations-one-more-time.17389/

and in post #9, you can see:

"C. e-bikes sold by reputable UK / European vendors, but which are non-electric bikes with an electric kit. I believe many vendors follow that path. Are they being illegal??? I cannot imagine that."

It seems your (nice) products fall into this description: you will add electric motor kits to existing bikes. All the motors are 250W nominal continuous, and I am pretty sure max speed is limited to 25km/h, so apparently everything is legal.

But according to some comments in that thread, it seems it is necessary to follow a legal process to "legalize" the e-bike. How do you sort that out? Thanks.
I don't think kits can be made legal.
The BBS01 may have EN15194 sticker on it, the hub motors may have 250W sticker on it but the bike cannot have EN15194 sticker on it.

I would also like to know if, when you say a thumb throttle, the bike can be ridden on throttle alone or if you have to pedal all the time to run the motor. Also can I ask the same question about the throttles on your Scirocco, and Scirocco two bikes?
On motors with Hall, no pedalling is required. On motors without Hall (only 3-phase wires), square wave controllers do not need pedalling but sine wave will need a little 'push start' on the pedals to help the controller spin up the motor. Once the motor is spun up, there is no need to continue pedalling, the throttle will work the same way.

Reactions: Arbol

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
this looks a good deal and i have a friend who is currently looking into going electric after trying my alien conversion .
i fitted the kit myself and although a newbie to the electric bikes i am a competant bike mechanic with an electrical background in other things.
i know this doesn,t qualify me as an approved installer but would that mean that if my friend bought one of your kits and i installed it then there would be no warranty?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Firstly, a big thank you to everyone who has responded so far.
Essentially, stevieb, we want to make sure that the kits are installed properly, this for reasons of mechanical safety as much as anything else. If for example a torque arm is not fitted correctly and the wheel then comes off half way through a ride we would not cover the damage caused.
If a local bike shop installs the kit they will see clearly whether the kit is suitable for the proposed bike and fit it competently. We would then give the kit its normal 12 month guarantee. Hope that clarifies things.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Strikes me the first thing anyone installing one of these kits for a third party needs is public liability insurance, at least.

Until I retired in November mine was costing about £240.00 per year.

Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The kits are not difficult to fit, we are talking about a couple of hours for the job but the front BPM motor will definitely rip up most forks.
I think it's sensible to pay an LBS for the job.

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
Sorry hatti but i'm still not clear about this.
if i fit the kit myself do i have any form of warranty?
i would imagine if the kit failed due to incompetant fitting then the damage would be obvious to you and you would not be liable for this.
i'm doing this as a favour to my friend who wants to go electric and has very little cash, but i would certainly not pay someone to fit a kit that i am more than capable of doing myself [defeats the purpose of buying a kit over a complete bike]
sorry if this all sounds a bit negative but if there is no warranty then there will be no purchase and if this applies to all kits then there's not much point in getting one to fit yourself .
i can understand your safety concerns and this is very commenable but i think if there is not going to be a warranty under the terms i have stated then i think my friend would be better off getting a complete bike with a warranty or something second hand which also has no warranty.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Stevieb,

The kits are not intended to be a low cost option. They have powerful motors and batteries. They need to be matched with the donor bike.
If they are installed by an approved Woosh installer the kit will be guaranteed for 12 months. If not, there is no guarantee. However, the goods must also of course be of merchantable quality.
Let us assume that you fit the kit yourself.
If a part is defective upon arrival or clearly defective as a result of a fault originating at factory level we would replace that part for you since our suppliers warranty those parts to us. If however something went wrong with the kit due to useage we would not replace it.

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
thank you Hatti,
that seems totally fair and logical
are the kits better than the equiptment fitted to your lower end complete bikes ?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Stevieb,
Yes, that is pretty much the case. The kits we are selling are as good as the electrics on the higher end of our current range.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Kirsten

£315. What's inside? Lots of weird things......

Reactions: Cyclezee
C

Cyclezee

Cyclezee are pleased to announce that we have been appointed as approved installers of Woosh supplied retro-fit conversion kits.:)