News: Electric bikes considered ‘motorbikes’ on Northern Ireland’s roads, says BA

Pedelecs

Editorial
May 20, 2015
The Bicycle Association has advised that the law ensuring electric bikes are treated as ordinary cycles in terms of their use on UK roads, doesn’t apply in Northern Ireland.

The BA has today told Pedelecs that: “EAPC regulations which exempt electric bikes from being treated as motorbikes in most of the UK do not apply in Northern Ireland. This could have serious implications for anyone selling e-bikes into that territory.”

The association is issuing advice on the current legal situation as a result of clarification from both the Department for Transport in London, and the Department of Infrastructure in Belfast, who have stated that transport is a devolved matter, with EAPC regulations not carried over into law in Northern Ireland.

Full story: http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/news/eapc-considered-motorbike-northern-irelands-roads-ba/

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
One might sat 'Typical!'
The RoI got the summertime regulations messed up so that RoI standard time is the same as BST, so they 'take an hour off' in the winter to conform to GMT, having Irish Wintertime.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
The point here is some gobshyyte in some administration dept. somewhere in Whitehall has thought it would be a good idea to cancel the existing UK/Euro e-bike regs here in this part of the UK.

WHY??

It works, nothing wrong with it!!

(Nothing to do with ROI wintertime/summertime whatever..)

I`ll be emailing my DUP Westminster MP Donaldson to have a word with May and remind her of her majority

if that don`t cut any ice then it`s an Election

MRMAC9

Pedelecer
May 24, 2015
I live in N. Ireland. No wonder it is considered a backwater for progressive ideas. With no Stormont Assembly likely for some time, local ebikers will need clarification on their legal position when they go out for a ride.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've long warned that our EAPC law doesn't apply in Northern Ireland, there only the EU regulations have had force. That meant the use of throttles on pedelecs when they were legal in the rest of the UK has been illegal there ever since 10th November 2003.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The point here is some gobshyyte in some administration dept. somewhere in Whitehall has thought it would be a good idea to cancel the existing UK/Euro e-bike regs here in this part of the UK.

WHY??

It works, nothing wrong with it!!

(Nothing to do with ROI wintertime/summertime whatever..)

I`ll be emailing my DUP Westminster MP Donaldson to have a word with May and remind her of her majority

if that don`t cut any ice then it`s an Election
Given that you already ride an illegal bike, you have nothing to moan about.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i bet they want to cash in and tax them so only done for the money :rolleyes:

yet in 30 years you go outside and fart in public you will get done 2000 quid for polluting the local area:p

MRMAC9

Pedelecer
May 24, 2015
To think that in N. Ireland you can steal thousands of pallets or burn huge stinking bonfires in a public car park with any repercussions but you could have the weight of the law thrown at you for riding an ebike.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Really?

Why`s that flecc?

Does it apply in Scotland, Wales, IOM etc?
I can only assume that it's due to it being a devolved issue for N.I., the DfT not forthcoming on the reason.

The EAPC regulations do apply in Scotland and Wales, but not in the Isle of Man which is a Crown dependancy.

However, on the 10th November 2003, the EU's Two and Three Wheeler Type Approval regulation 2202/EC/24 came into force for all the EU countries. The exemption from type approval as motor vehicles for pedelecs is subject to pedelec control only, no throttles allowed.

• Informative

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
One might sat 'Typical!'
The RoI got the summertime regulations messed up so that RoI standard time is the same as BST, so they 'take an hour off' in the winter to conform to GMT, having Irish Wintertime.
... Hello Ireland or at least the ROI is not a province of England, so how could it be viewed we messed up a summertime regulation . More pertinently our noon is up to 45 minutes later than at Greenwich... Something to do with the sun apparently. Not that we see much of it. , so we should be by rights in another timezone...

• :D

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
To think that in N. Ireland you can steal thousands of pallets or burn huge stinking bonfires in a public car park with any repercussions but you could have the weight of the law thrown at you for riding an ebike.
... Not to mention the naked intimidation of shopkeepers and others in the weeks leading up to the glorious day, demanding financial contributions. Many shopkeepers close their shops and prefer to lose a weeks trading.

I live in a seaside village south of Dundalk, and our car parks are filled with NI reg cars on the days surrounding the big day. Yesterday I was in the village of carlingford.. Tommie may well know it. Full of cars 80% from UK . 75% with NI reg. .. refugees from the madness of a "culture", which celebrates exactly what.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
A few As.

What is "the big day"? Is it some secterian celebration?

If you have 80% added to 75% you get 155%....now is that Irish mathematics?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A few As.

What is "the big day"? Is it some secterian celebration?

If you have 80% added to 75% you get 155%....now is that Irish mathematics?
Yes it is sectarian, the "Glorious Twelth". This Link tells all.

As for your other question, percentages aren't really mathematics, they are politician's convenient alternative to mathematics, an aid to bamboozle the gullible public.

• :D
Reactions: mike killay