Nice idea but...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And not just those with wheels. As a youngster he wrote hobby electronics booklets for Bernard Babani Publishing in which most of his proposed circuits either didn't work or were hopelessly unstable. I'd go as far as to say that the only things he's ever dreamed up that have had any value were the first pocket calculator and the computers.

As the honorary president of high IQ organisation British Mensa I think he's always been obsessed with his sense of self importance and can't let go. I wonder if, like many, he doesn't realise that possession of a high intelligence has no meaning unless it's actually used.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Why doesn't he just give up? All of his inventions involving wheels have been complete turkeys!
I Happen to think there's at least one great invention left in ol' saint Clive.

Now if he were to come up with the universal e-bike controller, a multi-programmable beasty for any voltage or amp machine. Something able to sense the load on the motor and adjust the output accordingly, i reckon he would be on a winner. There's room in the market for a decent multi-purpose controller. And with Sinclair's name behind it, who knows maybe even an e-bike. ;-)

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
With a bit more power (e.g 500w) it could be more worthwhile. If we had ebike regs that allowed a normal ebike to have whatever power you like but a max of 15mph it could be a better proposition

grasshopper

Pedelecer
May 23, 2012
Why doesn't he just give up? All of his inventions involving wheels have been complete turkeys!
It worked for Bernard Mathews!:D

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
And not just those with wheels. As a youngster he wrote hobby electronics booklets for Bernard Babani Publishing in which most of his proposed circuits either didn't work or were hopelessly unstable. I'd go as far as to say that the only things he's ever dreamed up that have had any value were the first pocket calculator and the computers.

As the honorary president of high IQ organisation British Mensa I think he's always been obsessed with his sense of self importance and can't let go. I wonder if, like many, he doesn't realise that possession of a high intelligence has no meaning unless it's actually used.
As an example of sinclair's intelligence, he didn't just create a computer, he created a way of life. I'm thinking of all those hobbyists, and the publications supporting their numbers. I'm thinking of all those who took that interest and turned it into a profession. I'm thinking of all those companies which owed their first big break to that first program they created on a Sinclair machine, back in the day. All that started with an affordable gadget which was within the grasp of the average person, whose numbers created a whole new industry. Before Sinclair these devices were simply out of reach.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, as I said, the computers and calculator were his strengths, but that was a very, very long time ago. For decades now with such things as the C5, Zeta, A bike and now this X1 he has tended to make himself look less intelligent.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Yes, as I said, the computers and calculator were his strengths, but that was a very, very long time ago. For decades now with such things as the C5, Zeta, A bike and now this X1 he has tended to make himself look less intelligent.
I must admit its hard to see any of those recent ideas as catalysts, in the way that his computer was a catalyst for a new kind of industry. Those ideas were only meant, as sir Clive himself states, as stepping stones towards the real dream. All the while he seems to have missed the real point, namely that his success lay in what his creations enabled others to achieve.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
He's no worse than Dyson though, that bloke was a one trick wonder who's own ideas have been pretty poor
Remember his washing machine? The consumers' association, (Which) absolutely slated it and I don't think he sold many of those...probably a collector's item now!

Apart from that, he's another despicable British entrepreneur who has used every ploy in the book to maximise his profits and personal fortune while providing no investment in British industry. It wouldn't surprise me if the twin tory parties running, (ruining!) this country elevated him to sainthood and gave him a present like they did with Branson. I thought I owned Northern Rock!

Indalo

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
I joined Mensa in the '80s to see if I could, and my impression from the few meetings that I attended was that I had never met such a bunch of saddoes. There were numbers of people saying things like, "I only now realise that the reason I haven't got on in life is because I have been hampered by my vast intelligence"! I let my membership lapse after a year; still got the lapel badge, though!

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
As an example of sinclair's intelligence, he didn't just create a computer, he created a way of life. I'm thinking of all those hobbyists, and the publications supporting their numbers. I'm thinking of all those who took that interest and turned it into a profession. I'm thinking of all those companies which owed their first big break to that first program they created on a Sinclair machine, back in the day. All that started with an affordable gadget which was within the grasp of the average person, whose numbers created a whole new industry. Before Sinclair these devices were simply out of reach.
Hence my comment about his inventions with wheels. There is no doubt that he had a major infuence on calculators, computing etc. for a brief period, but since...?

I agree with flecc too about his earlier efforts; some of his attempts at minature hi-fi systems were laughable.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I joined Mensa in the '80s to see if I could, and my impression from the few meetings that I attended was that I had never met such a bunch of saddoes. There were numbers of people saying things like, "I only now realise that the reason I haven't got on in life is because I have been hampered by my vast intelligence"! I let my membership lapse after a year; still got the lapel badge, though!
The same with me Roger. Joined, then at just one meeting found out what a sad lot they were, vying with each other to display their "intelligence". I decided the more intelligent thing was to leave since Mensa of necessity has no aims or purpose and states as much, so paying money to be a member had no point.

I doubt we are alone in our decision, since they twice pestered me some years later to rejoin so were obviously feeling the losses of membership.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm really clever, I knew those meetings would be a waste of time so I didn't join.
As I implied above Mussels, intelligence is no guarantee of cleverness. I've known some highly intelligent people who were remarkably stupid much of the time, often using their intelligence to maximise the stupidity of their actions.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Yep intelligence and common sense / reasoning or what ever you want to call it are two completly different things