Nick here from Gtech

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Totally agree. Without testing the bike, I would hope that it would be low maintenance, cope with at least 20 miles of not too hilly road and prove to be reliable. That would be my own personal criteria for commuting to my work.
I posted an agree since I saw it the same way. Near zero maintenence needed and little to go wrong or get out of adjustment is ideal for a moderate commute, transport without trouble.

Many decades ago we had similar with such as the single speed Sunbeam oilbath chaincase bikes. They ran for decades in daily moderate speed commutes with hardly any attention.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Totally agree. Without testing the bike, I would hope that it would be low maintenance, cope with at least 20 miles of not too hilly road and prove to be reliable. That would be my own personal criteria for commuting to my work.
It definitely will, I get 30 + miles put of mine in similar use.

No chain to clean + lube, near silent, 3hr charge from flat.

I don't like running my battery on the last bar (25% per bar) but have in the past and got 40 over miles out of it.

If you take the bike as it was designed, simple/ light/ low maintenance it's an ideal commuter.

I'm a motorcycle mechanic by trade so the last thing I need to be doing at the weekends is faffing with my work transport ;).

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
If you take the bike as it was designed, simple/ light/ low maintenance it's an ideal commuter.
From the brief ride I had on one, after meeting Brian riding a G-Tech around the park, I'd agree that it would be fairly ideal for that task. Personally, I'd fit a gel saddle and a basic suspension seatpost to provide a bit more comfort with that.

I found it quite easy to power it beyond the 15.5 mph anchor point. Up to around 18 mph with relative ease.

Anyway, welcome aboard. :)

Reactions: flecc and Fordulike

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Hold on a minute, stop going off the thread topic, back to Nick sending me a Gtech Sport for testing and review :rolleyes:
Oddly that was my first thought as well.

The first post is an introduction from a company for their ebike, followed by a second reply about a dog.

A very strange set of priorities, or perhaps the reply covers both subjects in one.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Oddly that was my first thought as well.

The first post is an introduction from a company about their product, followed by a second reply about a dog.

A very strange set of priorities.
Ha ha, great minds think alike. I nearly posted my observation, but thought it might scupper my, I mean, our chances of a free bike :D

Reactions: EddiePJ

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
You guys went straight for the throat, I on the other hand, offered pleasantries as an opening gambit...I find this works well in both life and business;)

There are specific threads to discuss ebikes too, surely this one is for people to introduce themselves and "anything goes":):p

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You guys went straight for the throat, I on the other hand, offered pleasantries as an opening gambit...I find this works well in both life and business;)

There are specific threads to discuss ebikes too, surely this one is for people to introduce themselves and "anything goes":):p
I think it is all that riding alone in the cold and dark has gotten to him? :rolleyes: Or maybe there is something in the mud? :p

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I suspect that it is actually both. :)

Back on the topic of Gtech though. I hadn't noticed this until just a moment ago. http://www.gtech.co.uk/gtech-escent-mountain-ebike.html

Nick, the above bike doesn't come up along side your other two bikes on website, and whilst the wording Escent is shown at the bottom of the page, the link to it doesn't work. You might want to take a look into that. :)

edit.. there is also no price shown for the bike.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I don't think Nick's done too bad though. Mostly positive comments so far.

I'm sure the bikes have been test ridden by the laboratory boffins for countless hours, but a real world test by a couple of established members, could offer some insight into any shortcomings or future tweaks.