[Noobie] First step to Lipo

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Well done! and well done for not causing a fire! :)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Make sure you unplug the battery first so there is no way that the two connectors for the charger can touch i.e. unplug those ones last.

I am assuming those are the ones that touched. If they are on the battery then you need to make sure that the battery has one male and one female and that they are isolated so they do not touch.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Hehe, that's exactly what happened Jerry. Now I have to be very very careful. I don't wanna die from Lipo lol.

By the way, I connected a battery monitor but I don't know how to read it:
[video=youtube;O6EemUkyDao]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6EemUkyDao[/video]

All I can say is that look like a bomb... And I have 5s of 4.17-4.18V? what is the "all" voltage of 20V?

Is it good?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Hehe, that's exactly what happened Jerry. Now I have to be very very careful. I don't wanna die from Lipo lol.

By the way, I connected a battery monitor but I don't know how to read it:

All I can say is that look like a bomb... And I have 5s of 4.17-4.18V? what is the "all" voltage of 20V?

Is it good?
20v is the total pack voltage, which is equal to the sum of the individual cells. when discharging, you should stop soon after the total reaches 18v, as it will probably fall rapidly to 15v after that, so watch out for it. Individual cells mustn't go below 3.0v.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
There pretty much out of capacity at 3.6v resting though!

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Ok thanks for the message. Will look at the batteries carefully. I used it for the first time, it was really impressive!

3.6V is the limit I have to remember.

I'll show you the picture soon, have to go to work for now ;)

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Under load the voltage will drop below that so you may want to set any alarms or low voltage cutoff device lower than that to get maximum capacity from the battery. I have mine set to 3.2volt which may be too low although its not given me any issues in nearly a year of use...3.4v may be a better compromise if you are unsure.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
So NRG are you using lipos every day and how many charge cycles do you have ?

Have you had any packs fail ?

Regards

Jerry

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Hi Jerry, no not used every day but I have a few hundred charge cycles on the main 10Ah pack. No pack has failed although I have a 'lazy' cell during charging...it lags behind the others and I should really replace it at some point. I bulk charge with Meanwell supplies and balance out using Battery Medics from HobbyKing...

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Sorry the 3.6v was a resting voltage when not taking any load from the cells.
Low voltage cut off will be lower due to the load being placed upon it.

I think everyone ends up with a cells thats not quite in balance as the others. Which is why paralleling the cells usuallys helps out as the cells try to equalise.

Glad you have it all up and running and everything is ok with no fires.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Thanks for all these answer. I'll do my best not to put my batteries below 3.5V/cell.

I tried to rode to work today, 3km on this electric scooter. It was really funny. My lipo went from 20.9V to 19.9V. So 1V for 3 km. So I think I have around 10km range for 1 battery of 5S 8AH (Or 148W).

So I use around 14.8W/km to go to work. Which is slightly higher than with my actual bike: 13.3W/km

Here is the picture of the scooter:

- You can see the very long cable I use to plug the battery. It allows me to put the battery directly in my backpack. But I think this long cable may diminush significantly the battery range. I'll need to see how much range I should get if I have a shorter cable
- I also have too many people staring at me, I need to be stealthy. I'm looking for a way to hide the motor.

Nice toy, isn't it? :)

ps: And thanks for the seller if he reads this post :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I don;t want to rain on your parade, but just to pass on a bit of experience: My neighbours boy had one. He was cruising along a footpath at low speed where there was nobody else. A couple of CPOs pulled up alongside him in their car and immediately wrote out a Section 59 warning and told him that if he was out on it again they would confiscate it. His dad rang them up to complain that he had not been using it in any anti-social way, but they just said that there's too many illegal vehicles causing a nuicance so the notice would stand.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Those are definetly noticable by the police and I to have also seen them do it.
Suprisingly I was on my electric bike while it happened.

I think the police have targets of certain vehicles. I've seen it happen to loads of Mini moto's and pit bikes that are clearly not legal.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, these and similar are actually seized and crushed in my London borough so have largely disappeared, no-one wanting to own one now.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Is there a way to make it stealthy?

If people don't see it's electric, it should be fine, right?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The sound is usually more of an issue than appearance, and the lack of leg propelling the scooter also gives the game away.

But as you say, in practical terms it's the detection that counts more than the law breaking. Once detected, that's the end of the line for it it's use though.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Seriously, I do nothing wrong with my scooter.

In France it's allowed, why is there such regulation in UK?

I need to find a way to hide the motor. Do you thing using a small carpet on top of it would work?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Seriously, I do nothing wrong with my scooter.

In France it's allowed, why is there such regulation in UK?
True of so much, Britain is a very restrictive country with an excess of laws and often draconian sentencing policies.

Emigration is the only answer I fear, and that's what well over 100,000 a year of London residents alone have done over the last decade.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Thanks Flecc. For now I'm not planning yet to leave the country lol.

I'm still looking for a way to solve this problem. Will post again later on the updates :)

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Put a carpet over it and sit on it. Look like your iding a magic carpet ;-)