odd sound

brookesy

Pedelecer
May 6, 2007
Hi, well I did buy a new sakura cruiser.. took it out for a test run, very fast which is great, however, there is a loud scraping sound from the motor which I did'nt hear on my last one, just wondered if any of you geniuses could shed some light on this? thankyou for any ideas

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sounds like a misalignment due to poor assembly or from impact during transit Brookesy. If it's on the armature side it could end in disaster, and in any case it shouldn't be like that, so I'd recommend you have it changed ASAP as it's new. Definitely don't try opening it up or you could invalidate the warranty.

brookesy

Pedelecer
May 6, 2007
thanks flecc, yes it was delivered damaged by the courier to my retailer chap, the chain guard split, and the back rack bent down, I definitely think they should send a new one, but the chaps at Sakura dont seem very helpful.I will give you thoughts to them. thankyou

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Delivery like that is completely unacceptable. The cut price online traders often adopt an avoidance strategy Brookesy. Just stand firm, don't lose your temper, but be quietly persistent so they understand that you are not going to go away. You have the knowledge that you can turn to consumer law ultimately if necessary, the small claims courts being quite easy to use. It's unlikely to come to that though.

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
brooksey
it would be my understanding if you purchased your bike from a shop then your complaint should be with them not sakura.
,if they accepted delivery of a damaged item then they must sort it,if the back rack is damaged then its had a fairly heavy bang that rack is a very solid item.
hope you can sort it easily because i know you like the bike.
mike

brookesy

Pedelecer
May 6, 2007
thankyou everyone,yes you are right electric mike, sakura will not deal with the customer directly,and also agree the back rack would have had a hefty whack as it is indeed a very solid one, you cant possibly bend it by hand thats for sure, so my dealer is getting in touch with them today to see if they can send another one down..will keep you posted. thanks again

brookesy

Pedelecer
May 6, 2007
they are sending down a new back wheel, back rack and chainguard...and if thats not right, I shall treat myself to a Forza and hang the expense!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's good Brookesy, should sort the problem out ok. Let us know how you get on.

brookesy

Pedelecer
May 6, 2007
groan

well, sakura sent a new back wheel down to my dealer....still noisy scraping sound and gets louder when i throttle off toslow down. i noticed the hub is hot too....Flecc??

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
brooksey

does it wheel smoothly and quietly forwards,is there just very slight resistance when wheeled backwards,the back brake is inside the back hub and needs precise setting.

mike

brookesy

Pedelecer
May 6, 2007
hi Mike yes it harder to to wheel it backwards..I just wish sakura would send one down already put together, I think the dealer is getting a bit impatient now.

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
well its going to have to be back to the shop, its just so unlikely that one would suffer motor damage, and the replacement be faulty.the pedal may just need tightening both mine and my wife's needed tightening once during ownership.
i should just add the shop where we purchased ours from exchanged mine after 3 weeks because the power cut out occasionally,on retuning to the shop some 15months later to buy my powabyke they had stopped selling the cruiser because of (in there words) one or two problems.
if its motor problems again then its money back time
i can only say we both had good service out of ours.

mike

ps when you say clunks do you meen it hits part of the bike

brookesy

Pedelecer
May 6, 2007
no I checked.it seems to clunk each time it goes round, I can also feel it on my left foot. Yes they have discontinued it.I am probably getting palmed off with dodgy leftovers.seems like they have an Aprilla coming out, expensive though, think a grand. I will have to make the dreaded call on monday..thanks for you help Mike.

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
brooksey

I can also feel it on my left foot

i seem to think it was the left pedal on ours, because of the direction of the thread it wants to undo the nut as you pedal i guess it probably is outdated now but like you with your first one we liked ours, and i have had to keep mine in case my wife's breaks down, to use for spares she wont part with it.

mike

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
You have my sympathies brookesy :( I know you gave quite some thought to which bike to go for; I hope you get it all sorted out monday... looks like we might have to help find an alternative bike for you maybe? :) odd though that your last sakura seems to have lasted well and been reliable?

At least we have a headstart in knowing some of your requirements from an ebike :).

Stuart.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If you meant an Aprilia for the new one coming out, their last effort at an e-bike was awful, so definitely beware of considering that.