off topic but just had to share.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Nasty [video=youtube;S2oymHHyV1M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2oymHHyV1M[/video]

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Maybe cycle helmets are worth wearing if you ride in Africa lol

Regards

Jerry

hihihi

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Isle Of Wight
First, I laughed, but then, well, that's one heck of a sideways thump - ouch - Phew!
What are the chances of catching such an event on film and what a find HittheroadJ, thanks.

By the way, I'm not sure we're entirely safe here in the UK either: has anybody witnessed the way deer cross our roads?!

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
On one of my videos riding around the Tamsin Trail in Richmond Park I encounter a posse of deer for whom I stop. They look me up and down and then, in their good time, proceed to cross the trail. They remind me of those arrogant schoolkids who either walk straight out into the road without bothering to look or saunter across chatting and laughing, knowing you are waiting.

So rich is (was?) our society that we have even spoiled the deer :)

The unasked question - was the deer wearing a helmet?

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
One of my collegues hit a deer on the way to work this morning. She was driving her car and it made a hell of a mess of it. Unfortunately the deer paid the price.

Steve

daudi

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2011
Kent, UK
A few weeks ago in Brussels one of my colleagues was driving home and a bird flew into the windscreen. The bird was a swan.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
This great ( but not for the cyclist ! ) YouTube clip has just made it onto ITV lunchtime news with an interview with the poor man !!
Lynda

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
This great ( but not for the cyclist ! ) YouTube clip has just made it onto ITV lunchtime news with an interview with the poor man !!
Lynda
Yep, saw it.

Also got my own story to share.

Last week I was riding through town on my way back home. Traffic lights were coming up, so I backed off the throttle. Police car overtook me, and I decided to stay back. Once they all stopped at the lights I saw a cyclist ahead who started pedalling and went straight into a pedestrian, right next to the police car! The police didn't notice, and it was only a slow speed thing. I was laughing because I couldn't believe how the cyclist didn't notice the pedestrian as loads of them cross there, and he didn't take any extra care due to the police car! His mate who was cycling alongside him had the same reaction as me. :)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Yep, saw it.

Also got my own story to share.

Last week I was riding through town on my way back home. Traffic lights were coming up, so I backed off the throttle. Police car overtook me, and I decided to stay back. Once they all stopped at the lights I saw a cyclist ahead who started pedalling and went straight into a pedestrian, right next to the police car! The police didn't notice, and it was only a slow speed thing. I was laughing because I couldn't believe how the cyclist didn't notice the pedestrian as loads of them cross there, and he didn't take any extra care due to the police car! His mate who was cycling alongside him had the same reaction as me. :)
LOL
Its certainly getting more dangerous out there when we have the usual cyclist victims running over pedestrians.........where will it all end ......I am just waiting for a badger to run me over....we have plenty of them in and around the town :D

Lynda

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
By the way, I'm not sure we're entirely safe here in the UK either: has anybody witnessed the way deer cross our roads?!
Not hit a deer yet despite seeing some out there, but so far during my night riding I've run over:

A cat
A badger
A duck

:D

All survived without a scratch, the cat ran across the road and bumped into my front tyre but carried on and disappeared through some railings, the badger ran across the road and under my bike (it's a miracle the badger count is only 1, so many times I've had to brake because a stupid badger decided to run out in front of me on cycle tracks), and the duck was sitting in the middle of the road so I swerved round it but the stupid thing got up and flew straight into my cranks, I knew it was ok because I could hear it flying away quacking loudly :)

Almost ran over a squirrel a few days ago too.

It's not just cyclists that have to be careful out there, a couple of months back I saw someone do the most amazing Superman impression ever - he was running down a slight incline being pulled along by two dogs, a leash in each hand, when he tripped.... the dogs carried on and pulled him forward so he did a belly flop onto the pavement!

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Not hit a deer yet despite seeing some out there, but so far during my night riding I've run over:

A cat
A badger
A duck

:D

All survived without a scratch, the cat ran across the road and bumped into my front tyre but carried on and disappeared through some railings, the badger ran across the road and under my bike (it's a miracle the badger count is only 1, so many times I've had to brake because a stupid badger decided to run out in front of me on cycle tracks), and the duck was sitting in the middle of the road so I swerved round it but the stupid thing got up and flew straight into my cranks, I knew it was ok because I could hear it flying away quacking loudly :)

Almost ran over a squirrel a few days ago too.

It's not just cyclists that have to be careful out there, a couple of months back I saw someone do the most amazing Superman impression ever - he was running down a slight incline being pulled along by two dogs, a leash in each hand, when he tripped.... the dogs carried on and pulled him forward so he did a belly flop onto the pavement!

Good god.....it certainly sounds dangerous in Gloucestershire :D

Glad I dont do any night cycling down here.......

Lynda