Ongoing reliability of Kalkhoff/Focus Impulse 2 motors

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Cheers Wayne. I was wondering how hard it was registering one. Do you then get a V5.

Wayne Ward

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 11, 2017
Bath
I did and it was a complete pain in the backside. I am sure its not right despite repeated calls to DVLA. I would not have bothered applying if i had known it was going to so onerous.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I did and it was a complete pain in the backside. I am sure its not right despite repeated calls to DVLA. I would not have bothered applying if i had known it was going to so onerous.
I'd be surprised if it was right. The DfT's Vehicle Inspectorate wouldn't pass it as suitable for the L1e-B moped class, it doesn't meet several of the requirements.

How's your stoplight for example? :rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: tommie

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
do they not need indicators?
No, they are optional.

Special moped mirror (a bike one won't do) and two or three lateral orange reflectors, lights (supernova and b+m make normalised ones) and a horn with 50 + metre range.

As well as the usual bike reflectors of course.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
do they not need indicators?
That's a bit in the air at the moment. Current rules state indicator tests apply "where fitted".

The new EU Type Approval Regulations are not going to be finalised until next year, so we'll know then if they will be required later.

Where the Kalkhoff falls short on lighting is not having a stop light operated by either brake, not having rear number plate illumination and the headlight beam highly unlikely to fit the specified beam requirements.

OilyMechanic

Dec 30, 2015
That's a bit in the air at the moment. Current rules state indicator tests apply "where fitted".

The new EU Type Approval Regulations are not going to be finalised until next year, so we'll know then if they will be required later.

Where the Kalkhoff falls short on lighting is not having a stop light operated by either brake, not having rear number plate illumination and the headlight beam highly unlikely to fit the specified beam requirements.
Of all the speed kalkhoffs I've Seen they have had a rear light activated by the brake levers and a number plate holder with a light. Not sure about headlight though

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Of all the speed kalkhoffs I've Seen they have had a rear light activated by the brake levers and a number plate holder with a light. Not sure about headlight though
Thanks for that information, those I've seen were a little while ago, so they appear to have been catching up with the requirements.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Kalkhoff joke time:

The other week a couple of clients came in with his and hers Sahel Compacts. We chatted a bit about pedelecs and he proudly said "We got the ones with the best motors!"... I managed to keep a straight face thinking that his bike dealer was a cheeky chap. In fact I think those motors probably will hold out quite well with 20" wheels. For me the internal gearing has problems coping with large wheels and low cadence.

D

Deleted member 4366

Kalkhoff joke time:

The other week a couple of clients came in with his and hers Sahel Compacts. We chatted a bit about pedelecs and he proudly said "We got the ones with the best motors!"... I managed to keep a straight face thinking that his bike dealer was a cheeky chap. In fact I think those motors probably will hold out quite well with 20" wheels. For me the internal gearing has problems coping with large wheels and low cadence.
Surely, wheel size makes no difference with a crank-motor because the gearing compensates. The cadence and load on the motor would be the same on all wheel sizes. It's different for a hub motor because the motor is attached directly to the wheel, so a small wheel reduces the load on the motor.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yes but... most small wheel bikes are very under geared, not designed for high top speeds. So the initial starting off (where the most torque is created) will almost always be easier on the motor even if you are in the wrong gear. It would be interesting to see the break down of failed motors per wheel size to validate this theory.

Second, look at the internal gear ratio of a BBS02
1:21.9
and a bafang front hub (chosen at random from their site)
1:11
The external gearing is not the only difference between hub and crank motor. I couldn't find the internal reduction ratio for the impulse drive.

Like all theories I am willing to be proven wrong (The golden rule is that there are no golden rules...). I came to this conclusion about effort on the motor after gearing down my GSM, in fact I have gone a little too far and need to come back up a couple of teeth on the big chainring.

• :D
Reactions: grldtnr
D

Deleted member 4366

It's obvious that any motor gets an easier time if you gear it down, the same as you yourself gets an easier time with lower gears, but then you can't go fast enough and you run out of pedal speed. BBSxx motors are not designed for small wheels, so you always get problems of too low gearing. OEM bikes have more chance to get it right, though they don't always take those chances.

paul bromley

Just Joined
Sep 2, 2017
UK
I own a Kalkhoff Endeavour Impulse S10

that is just over 2 years old. It has developed a fault and no longer operates as an E-bike

I have called and emailed 50 cycles UK to get the fault rectified but as yet no one has had the courtesy to return my calls or emails.

In desperation I contacted Derby Cycles Germany, who told me to get in touch with the distributor and if they weren't available to look on there website for another dealer.

Well Mr Derby Cycles I don't know where you hide the list of distributors on your website but I cant find them.

I was also under the impression 50 cycles UK was your only distributor of this bike.

So now I have a very expensive E-bike that none, not the dealer or manufacturer are interested in fixing the fault.

Both Derby Cycles and 50 Cycles UK have the worst after sales support I have ever had the displeasure of coming across.

If your in the UK don't bother with 50 Cycles when a fault develops with your bike and it will, there will be no support, your on your own..

you have been warned

Reactions: Osho

OilyMechanic

Dec 30, 2015

that is just over 2 years old. It has developed a fault and no longer operates as an E-bike

I have called and emailed 50 cycles UK to get the fault rectified but as yet no one has had the courtesy to return my calls or emails.

In desperation I contacted Derby Cycles Germany, who told me to get in touch with the distributor and if they weren't available to look on there website for another dealer.

Well Mr Derby Cycles I don't know where you hide the list of distributors on your website but I cant find them.

I was also under the impression 50 cycles UK was your only distributor of this bike.

So now I have a very expensive E-bike that none, not the dealer or manufacturer are interested in fixing the fault.

Both Derby Cycles and 50 Cycles UK have the worst after sales support I have ever had the displeasure of coming across.

If your in the UK don't bother with 50 Cycles when a fault develops with your bike and it will, there will be no support, your on your own..

you have been warned
Derby cycles are now the distributor in the UK, hence you can find more dealers for kalkhoff now.

http://www.kalkhoff-bikes.com/en/service/dealer-search.html

Whether or not they would be willing to work on a speed pedelec, I don't know - because none of them seem to be selling them!

keep us updated

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire

you have been warned
If it's still under warranty I'd get a solicitor to send 50 Cycles a letter; that'd wake 'em up. I won't allow companies to treat me like that. Either that or I'd go to their office and phleg on them. Companies who don't reply to their customers are contemptible.

D

Deleted member 4366

The dealer from which you bought the bike from is responsible to sort it out, regardless if it's out of warranty. Where did you get it from? Did you contact them?

When all else fails, you can fix it for about £400 by getting an exchange motor from that German company. I've just done one. Changing the motor is as easy as taking off the back wheel to change a tyre. You need a normal bicycle crank extractor and large external circlip pliers.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
There maybe small market for kit that would allow fitting BBS01 motor as Impulse replacement. Need bracket with standard crank to bolt into frame where Impulse motor was. Ideally use Impulse battery. Would lose torque sensing but at least bike would be useable.