Ongoing reliability of Kalkhoff/Focus Impulse 2 motors

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Thanks for that... good to know as one of the options available, if things go pear-shaped.
If they refuse you a full refund, which i wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they do...... Will you accept another motor ? Hoping that it last the 2 years of warranty until it goes again ?

Not that i dont think you deserve a refund, just wondered how far you'll take it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
problem is if the motor did last 2 years will it still be available to buy/still be being made as i doubt it then you are left with a boat anchor.

• Agree
Reactions: Ted B.

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
If they refuse you a full refund, which i wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they do...... Will you accept another motor ? Hoping that it last the 2 years of warranty until it goes again ?

Not that i dont think you deserve a refund, just wondered how far you'll take it.
I don't really see the point in another motor, so probably not.

Ted B.

Pedelecer
May 28, 2016
Guildford
Unless you live near a shop, and don't mind bringing the bike periodically for a couple of days, to have its motor replaced, it sounds like replacing the motor again won't fix the underlying design issues and could create some ongoing inconvenience.

Also, you need to consider the second-hand value of your bike: given all the bad press on the Impulse 2 motor troubles, I suspect the second hand value of those bikes has collapsed.

If you are planning to sell your bike in the next couple of years to upgrade, then it would be a concern. If you are planning to keep it a long time, then it does not matter that much.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: oriteroom

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Nothing back from Joe at 50Cycles as yet.

Rode into work today, and the bike sounds and feels sick as a dog. A variety of clunks and cracking sounds, vibrations through pedals. From time to time now I am finding a clicking on each rotation of the pedal. It's coming and going.

I'm scared to apply too much force when pedalling.

damian

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2015
Belfast
Nothing back from Joe at 50Cycles as yet.

Rode into work today, and the bike sounds and feels sick as a dog. A variety of clunks and cracking sounds, vibrations through pedals. From time to time now I am finding a clicking on each rotation of the pedal. It's coming and going.

I'm scared to apply too much force when pedalling.
Sounds like a nightmare.
I'd say go and speak to CAB, or just email them. There's good advice here but you'll feel more confident with CAB behind you.
You can mention that to 50 Cycles and they might take notice.

I had problems getting a timely fix from custom reaction. Spoke to CAB, let Chain reaction know I'd done that and what they had said.

I sent a registered letter to the manager saying I rejected the bike. He was on the phone as soon as he got it promising to get it sorted.
Two weeks later they replaced to bike with a 2016 model.

Nothing personal to everyone here but I felt much better with CAB telling me what my options were.

Note that I think of it I've been meaning to go back to chain reaction and tell them that we are friends again :p

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

• Informative
Reactions: nemesis

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
They "may" offer you a Giant of same value instead of a full refund as well, or maybe put that too them as an option if you'd be happy with one?.

Ted B.

Pedelecer
May 28, 2016
Guildford
I am sure any reseller would prefer to replace the bike, rather than give a refund.

However, you have to see if you are willing to continue dealing with that reseller in the long term (e.g. are you confident about the service they will be providing, warranty etc).

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Still no reply yet from Joe at 50Cycles (emailed him on Sunday).

I've sent a chaser email today.

The Bristol branch want to put another motor on my existing bike.

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Reply received:

"I am sorry for the delay, I have been out of the office for training. I can understand your hesitation for having another impulse 2 but I can reassure you that they have redesigned the motor. It has been fitted with bigger bearings, the other improvement they have made is that they have redesigned the internal cog in the motor leaving it with a polished surface to prevent the pawls from sticking. The motors also have a new software which should help as well. I have these new motors in stock and have sent one down to Bristol for your bike.
If you look at motor manufactures they all offer a 2 year warranty without an extended warranty. Should they fail inside this then they replace it with a new motor. Say you had a Bosch or Yamaha and it failed outside of the warranty they would not look to offer a replacement. I feel that Kalkhoff is going out of their way to keep customers on the road longer by offering a new 2 year warranty with the new motor.
I would be interested to read the Derby Cycle and Daum Electronics as this is news to me."

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
My response:

"Thanks for the response.
I was given the same assurance with motor number 2, but this has developed similar problems to the first after just a hundred miles.
Thus far, in the 11 months I have owned the bicycle the vast majority have been with a motor that makes sick noises and with a left pedal that vibrates. It is unfair to expect me to tolerate this, and I'm sure you can understand my predicament.
Again, my request is entirely reasonable and is backed up by EU law. I would like to request that my bicycle either be exchanged for one with a different motor, or returned for a refund.

Kind regards,

Will"

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
I have now been informed by 50Cycles that I will no longer receive email communications, due to my posts on the Pedelec forum.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: Will Tinker
D

Deleted member 4366

The problem now is that if 50C give you a replacement bike and you post that on here, everybody will want one, and that will put them out of business. The same if they give you your money back. many dealers will make "special" arrangements when customers need their problems sorted out, but they usually want you to keep quiet about what they did for you.

Refusal to send emails doesn't make any sense. They have to communicate somehow, and no matter what medium was used, you could still photograph or record it and post it here.

If they refuse to communicate completely, you only have one way forward, and that's a final demand followed by a county court action. County court cost £60 last time I used it. The £60 is added to your claim, so if found in your favour, you get it back. Online county court is dead easy to use. You only have to write down who owes you what and why. The CAB will help you with that. Then pay the £60. You don't need any solicitors or anything like that.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Thanks guys.

Yeah... so to be more specific, they are refusing to email (since I posted the last two messages, with names edited-out, on here).

I agree it makes no sense. It's not as though there's anything confidential or controversial that I've posted. But there it is.

I'll write them a letter. Give them a little while to respond, then go small claims/credit claim, etc.

I've been entirely polite, so I have to say this reaffirms the less-than-positive views posted here on 50Cycles' aftersales service.

Reactions: evening2005

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015