Ongoing reliability of Kalkhoff/Focus Impulse 2 motors

D

Deleted member 4366

From what I know and have heard about 50C, which is quite a lot over the years, is that they are generally helpful if you let them do their thing, but as soon as you start making demands, they close ranks . basically, they don't like being told what to do.

No dealer likes to have his dirty washing hung out for everyone to see forever after, which is understandable. If anybody wants to post anything negative about their dealer, it's always best to do so after the conclusion of whatever it was, and only then if you're sure that you're not going to need any further help with it. Although that's not how it should be, there's not much anybody can do about it.

evening2005

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 31, 2016
UK
Thanks guys.

Yeah... so to be more specific, they are refusing to email (since I posted the last two messages, with names edited-out, on here).

I agree it makes no sense. It's not as though there's anything confidential or controversial that I've posted. But there it is.

I'll write them a letter. Give them a little while to respond, then go small claims/credit claim, etc.

I've been entirely polite, so I have to say this reaffirms the less-than-positive views posted here on 50Cycles' aftersales service.
Good luck with it and please keep us posted as to how it is handled.

Nigel01

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2016
Will Tinker you have been buying bits from other sources for your bike, so you have ruined your warranty! Stop making it sound as if they all go wrong. Sort out your personal problem with 50C. I am also a motorcyclist I lose thousands on a bike when I exchange it, this makes my Kalkhoff's very cheap. Look into it.

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Will Tinker you have been buying bits from other sources for your bike, so you have ruined your warranty! Stop making it sound as if they all go wrong. Sort out your personal problem with 50C. I am also a motorcyclist I lose thousands on a bike when I exchange it, this makes my Kalkhoff's very cheap. Look into it.
You don't invalidate a warranty by changing a chain and cassette, particularly when that is exactly what 50Cycles have requested.

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
From what I know and have heard about 50C, which is quite a lot over the years, is that they are generally helpful if you let them do their thing, but as soon as you start making demands, they close ranks . basically, they don't like being told what to do.

No dealer likes to have his dirty washing hung out for everyone to see forever after, which is understandable. If anybody wants to post anything negative about their dealer, it's always best to do so after the conclusion of whatever it was, and only then if you're sure that you're not going to need any further help with it. Although that's not how it should be, there's not much anybody can do about it.
Agreed, but this is clearly a major and quite widespread problem, and irrespective of their opinion or how it makes them look I am going to be honest and share my experience here.

Reactions: Live_Steam_Mad

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
The new software they put in the replacement motors makes them sluggish and the feeling of assistance is poor.
I would say this is to protect the internals and increase reliability.

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
The new software they put in the replacement motors makes them sluggish and the feeling of assistance is poor.
I would say this is to protect the internals and increase reliability.
Yes I agree. But clearly this hasn't helped enough.

I have to try and preserve the motor as best I can now (I am not going to accept a replacement one), so I've been pedalling very gently. Interestingly that has significantly reduced the frequency of the horrible noises I'm getting.

I concur with others here, that the problems seem to be to do with the motor being incapable of handling the force going through them while putting any effort into pedalling.

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Sorry guys, but I don't think I'll be able to post here any more.

Just received pretty horrible, threatening email.

Feeling terrible and quite in shock. Hope all of you still having problems are able to get them resolved.

With best wishes,

Will

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
from 50c or admin on here?

you are doing nothing wrong posting on here like all the others with motor problems.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011

Feeling terrible and quite in shock. Hope all of you still having problems are able to get them resolved.

With best wishes,

Will
This shows that they must be on here reading all the posts but never contributing or helping.

• Agree
Reactions: Live_Steam_Mad

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they was online as i seen them on the members list few hrs ago.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

With best wishes,

Will
You should take advantage of their offer to fit the new motor sent to Bristol for you, regardless of your opinion that it will only fail again. Not doing so undermines your position in every respect.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i do wonder if admin of this site had such a email thus why the other thread was locked.

if 50c will not reply anymore then there is only one option left tbh.

all he wants is a bike that is reliable i mean you would not like it if the motor went 30 miles from home id be pissed right off and even worse if you use it for work.

• Agree
Reactions: nemesis

flatbat

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2012
Western part of West Yorkshire
You should take advantage of their offer to fit the new motor sent to Bristol for you, regardless of your opinion that it will only fail again. Not doing so undermines your position in every respect.
Once again, the voice of reason. Flecc's calm and considered responses are a lesson to all - both in contentious forum issues and cycling behaviour/etiquette in general. My hero.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and Croxden

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
If you put the email up on here then it may lower your chances of getting the situation resolved BUT it may show the authors true colours..

Not good customer service buy the sound of it.

evening2005

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 31, 2016
UK

With best wishes,

Will
It doesn't matter what they're threatening you with, they sold you a defective bicycle and they MUST put that right. I would talk to the Citizens' Advice Bureau and show them the email as a first step to see whether in their opinion 50cycles' offer of a second new motor is appropriate.

BTW print off and keep the email. If they truly are threatening you, it will play well in court.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Not doing so undermines your position in every respect.
Absolutely untrue.

If you buy a sheet of unbreakable glass and it breaks, gets replaced by the supplier then brakes again, etc etc.

After the second or third fault you are totally within your rights to say this is not fit for purpose, so give me my money back and the associated costs that I have incurred up to this point.

This is applicable to any goods or services supplied. You have been reasonable but now is the end.

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Just downloaded every one of my messages, and all of the related threads here in case I need them and they are removed.

Guys, I can't post anything on the current situation. I have a family to look after and I have to be careful. I'm sorry. If you do want to talk to me you will need to email or call. PM me if you need to.

Again, I wish you all well and will post again if things take a positive turn.

Will