Ongoing reliability of Kalkhoff/Focus Impulse 2 motors

Steb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2017
london
D

Deleted member 4366

I wouldn't say that unreliability is typical. Some forum members get thousands of trouble free miles. Surprisingly, cost doesn't come into it. Some of the biggest mileages have come from not expensive bikes.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
If only they'd stuck with Panasonic they'd have got their 36 volt later unit and avoided all the troubles.
If only. I've still got my original 2008 Pro Connect although I don't ride it much these days. That's done well over 20000 miles, but it has had one new motor and a new battery. The original Panasonic battery, now 9 years old will do 4 or 5 miles. OK for nipping to the shops.

Reactions: oriteroom and flecc

Steb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2017
london
I wouldn't say that unreliability is typical. Some forum members get thousands of trouble free miles. Surprisingly, cost doesn't come into it. Some of the biggest mileages have come from not expensive bikes.
this is a very long shot, but is there a reliability index for pedelecs? as there is for cars (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32332210 - which incidentally says German cars are least reliable)?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
this is a very long shot, but is there a reliability index for pedelecs? as there is for cars (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32332210 - which incidentally says German cars are least reliable)?
Afraid not. One person started collecting data on some bikes in connection with the Kalklhoff Impulse saga, but that was vestigial last it was shown.

E-bikes are so recent that they have been in a constant state of evolution, so any collected data is quickly invalidated and would only be useful to those buying older models.

They've all been unreliable at times during their evolution, even the most respected names like Bosch, Panasonic and Bafang, but in general they are mostly vastly improved now. The Impulse 2 failures are probably the only incidence of anything serious recently.

redalexx

Pedelecer
Due to a lot of failed Impulse2.0 motors in Europe in 2015, Daum Inc. & Derby Cycle (Kalkhoff, Focus, ...) improved the design of the motor and modified the software. We got some information about this from 50cycles some pages ago. The new 2017 motors are hopefully more reliable.

An abstract about the changes you can get here:

https://pedelecmonitor.wordpress.com/differences-between-derby-cycles-impulse2-0-and-impulse2-2/

I think this motor is very rare in the US or Australia.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Due to a lot of failed Impulse2.0 motors in Europe in 2015, Daum Inc. & Derby Cycle (Kalkhoff, Focus, ...) improved the design of the motor and modified the software. We got some information about this from 50cycles some pages ago. The new 2017 motors are hopefully more reliable.

An abstract about the changes you can get here:

https://pedelecmonitor.wordpress.com/differences-between-derby-cycles-impulse2-0-and-impulse2-2/

I think this motor is very rare in the US or Australia.

well ten out of ten for the worst motor mounting point ever looks like you now have the option for the bike to snap in half as well :eek:

• Agree
Reactions: VictoryV

Wayne Ward

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 11, 2017
Bath
Just joined forum, to add to this threat I have a Kalkoff integrale S10XT with the with the Impulse Evo RS drive 4 months old 740miles. Its randomly cutting out and for clacking mostly under strain. Its going into the shop this weekend, I will let you know the diagnois.

• Informative
Reactions: redalexx

John5001

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2014
I was seriously looking at Kalkoff until these reports came out a while ago. Seems the earlier models with Bosch were OK but there own Impulse, was just not made to a good spec with seemingly a single point of failure consistent with the feedback on this thread.

• Agree

Wayne Ward

Aug 11, 2017
Bath
Other than this issue, I have been very impressed with the bike. I do 20 Miles commute per day on the days I do not have to go to external meetings. It goes up hills unbelievably well and came ready to carry my typical work kit. I looked at a lot of bikes before buying this and went for longest range/speed available. Done 735 miles, average about 20mph

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Other than this issue, I have been very impressed with the bike. I do 20 Miles commute per day on the days I do not have to go to external meetings. It goes up hills unbelievably well and came ready to carry my typical work kit. I looked at a lot of bikes before buying this and went for longest range/speed available. Done 735 miles, average about 20mph
Average 20 mph.. does that mean you have dongled it to defeat the 15.5mph legal ceiling?, Or are you just a very strong cyclist?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A dongle isn't needed as it's an S ped model 28mph a newer model of the older Endeavour.

Last edited:

Wayne Ward

Aug 11, 2017
Bath
Average 20 mph.. does that mean you have dongled it to defeat the 15.5mph legal ceiling?, Or are you just a very strong cyclist?
No, not at all. Its already set up to do 45kmph, thats how it came as standard.it has the impulse ev
o rs motor.

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
In contrast to the two motor failures in 2,400 miles with the Impulse 2.0 (both exhibiting problems after a mere few hundred miles or less), my Bosch Active Line motor has reached the same 2,400 miles without any signs of a problem.

So, as hard as it is to draw any conclusions from a small sample base, I've certainly made my mind up that the Impulse 2.0 suffered from poor reliability.

Hopefully the 2.2 fares better.

• Informative

Wayne Ward

Aug 11, 2017
Bath
In contrast to the two motor failures in 2,400 miles with the Impulse 2.0 (both exhibiting problems after a mere few hundred miles or less), my Bosch Active Line motor has reached the same 2,400 miles without any signs of a problem.

So, as hard as it is to draw any conclusions from a small sample base, I've certainly made my mind up that the Impulse 2.0 suffered from poor reliability.

Hopefully the 2.2 fares better.
Mine is the EVO RS speed version, supposedly the stronger motor.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
No, not at all. Its already set up to do 45kmph, thats how it came as standard.it has the impulse ev
o rs motor.
How much is your insurance? Do you wear a motorcycle helmet? Have you registered it and have a licence plate on it? I'm assuming your road tax is £0 as its an EV.

• :D
Reactions: Steed

Wayne Ward

Aug 11, 2017
Bath
£108, (I also have a scooter) no, have ebike speed helmet, yes and yes (although it feel just wrong!! No road tax