Ongoing reliability of Kalkhoff/Focus Impulse 2 motors

Brian64

Just Joined
Apr 5, 2015
Reading through all this is mating me nervous:)

I have a Focus Thron, with the big battery that has covered 3000 miles in three years and still runs a quiet as a mouse. I live in South Devon and it gets a bit of a hammering on high power with all the hills around here. I've also used it to tour in France (Nantes-Brest canal, cycled from Roscoff to Carhaix to pick up the canal. Fitted with Thule luggage. So far no issues, so I presume it will now catch fire or something having tweaked the nose of fate......

English Tim

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 22, 2017
Dorset
I am told by Kundenservice Derby Cycles in Germany, that the New Generation impulse motor is noisy and they are trying to fix this.

As I have just had surgery I am not in a tearing hurry to get my bike back, which is just as well!

• Informative
Reactions: redalexx

English Tim

Sep 22, 2017
Dorset
Am now on my third Impulse motor, on Kalkhoff Premium Include. It is now just as noisy as the second, when ascending hills. It has also lost power, with the ‘waiting for drive ‘ message and switched itself off. Enough
Is enough and I will switch to a Bosch motor. All other aspects of my bike are brilliant, but it’s too heavy to use without a motor!

Jst_at_home

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2014
In May this year I threw in the towel and bought a Cube Cross Pro with the Bosch Performance Line motor. have covered almost 900 trouble-free miles since then.

It seemed that something had failed within the motor of my Kalkhoff Tasman which would require a new motor and would have been the third. I sold it on eBay as "for repair or parts".

• Informative
Reactions: redalexx

larroya

May 9, 2018
belfast, northern ireland
I am told by Kundenservice Derby Cycles in Germany, that the New Generation impulse motor is noisy and they are trying to fix this.

As I have just had surgery I am not in a tearing hurry to get my bike back, which is just as well!
Do you have direct contact number or mail, would like to pass it to my dealer because they struggle repair my motor for 2 months

robinnj

Dec 16, 2010
Hi, Just some input from an Integrale I8 user. I purchased my bike from 50Cycles back in November 2015. About 12 months later I had problems with motor, took it back and had a new motor under warranty.
I again had problems with the motor in April this year and had what I believe is a 3rd generation EVO fitted under warranty. I have to say the difference with this motor is like night and day. I always disliked the noise generated by the earlier motors when using no power or cycling faster than the assist. This motor is extremely quiet compared to previous ones, and although the range seems to be less, it still show over 100 miles in the eco setting.
So from my point of view I have had very good service from 50Cycles, but more importantly the last motor seems to be a good one.

English Tim

Sep 22, 2017
Dorset
Do you have direct contact number or mail, would like to pass it to my dealer because they struggle repair my motor for 2 months
Sorry to take so long but I have been on holiday.

service.endkunden@derby-cycle.com

My dealer claims there is nothing wrong with my third motor yet it's still as noisy as the second. His mechanic, who has his own business, assisting my dealer who doesn't do maintenance, despite Kalkhoff claiming all their dealers do maintenance!

The motor also cuts out and I wonder if the motors aren't designed to be used in wet weather or on longer rides!

Engineer says dealers are not allowed to take motors apart and can only send them to Germany for assessment by Kalkhoff, so how can they make reliability decisions. Also it is impossible to know if the grinding noises are causing damage.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Back in April I was given the Kalkhoff shown below to review. It arrived to me with just 55 miles on the clock, and by 57 miles was un rideable and sounded like a bag of spanners. I choose not to write the review.

A friend has the same bike, and his lasted approximately 400 miles before doing just the same.

z2aa.jpg

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Back in April I was given the Kalkhoff shown below to review. It arrived to me with just 55 miles on the clock, and by 57 miles was un rideable and sounded like a bag of spanners. I choose not to write the review.

A friend has the same bike, and his lasted approximately 400 miles before doing just the same.

View attachment 27159
so it done more mileage in postage than being ridden pmsl should have just thrown it out of a aeroplane @ 2 miles high.:D

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
I'd rather nothing than that cross your fingers on koff pile of crap. Pedal power might not be much but seems a hell of a lot more care free not to mention cheaper than buying then following up the reasonable expectation that you mght get a bit of assistance without crunching and grinding under your feet

Edit: pile

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'd rather nothing than that cross your fingers on koff pile of crap.
The Kalkhoff bikes are fine, just make sure you buy one with a decent motor. It's the Daum designed and made motor which they label as Impulse or Evo which is the trouble and should be avoided.

Those over the years with various other motors from Panasonic through to the current Bosch have been ok.

Reactions: larroya

Solarbake

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2014
Hi my Kalkhoff bs10 s-ped from 50 cycles is coming up to 5 years old at the end of December,On my second original battery and I have a recelled one from Jimmy it’s still in weekly use now with over 18000 miles on the clock.The Bosch system has been pretty reliable,The kalkhoff bike has been excellent ,it still has most of the original parts shifters brakes front suspension,I have had new wheels and saddles and cassettes chains etc.I now have a shimano steps bike as well and am still undecided on which I prefer.

Reactions: flecc

olepro

Just Joined
Jun 11, 2017
Denmark
Hi there
Just wanted to chime in here and tell about my experience with my Kalkhoff Integrale i8, with the Impulse EVO RS motor.
I bought the bike in june 2016.
After around 300 km/200 miles i fitted the Badassbox speed hack on the bike.
I have had some issues with the krank pawls missing a beat sometimes starting from zero, but always rode the bike gentle, like let the motor do the hard work instead of standing with all my weight on the pedals at startup. I believe that if you do that with a pawl failing it will crack and destroy.

I have now done 18000 km / 11200 miles and the motor still spins like a cat.
The Badassbox is going on the same battery (they garantie a year)
The only spare part was a new back tire and a new set of brake pads.
The battery have lost around 15% kapacity and the Gates belt drive is allso still doing fine.

This bike is still my dream bike.
I really haven't seen anything like it yet
Best regards
Ole (Denmark)

Reactions: Ocsid

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
I mark in my book - Avoid Kalkhof at all costs.....

Jim

Tomwal

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
London NW2
I bought a Kalkhoff Agattu Premium 3 years ago for £2695.00. The bike is excellent apart from the motor. I had a replacement 2.2 motor 18 months ago (still under warranty) and this one has started making horribly load cracking noises although so far it is still rideable. I suppose I am going to have to ask for a replacement motor again. I would not buy a Kalkhoff again and I could not recommend them. The design and quality of the bike is first class it is just let down by this wretched motor.

The problem is that when you have spent this amount on a bike you are reluctant to just give it up as a lost cause.
I wonder if it is possible to install another make of motor or am I stuck with the Impulse motor ?
Any advice as to the way forward would be much appreciated.

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
I know it's disappointing, but your best option is to bite the bullet and cut your losses - get another bike that doesn't have an Impulse or Evo motor.

Sorry, and I do feel your pain (been through it)...

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Tomwal

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
London NW2
I know it's disappointing, but your best option is to bite the bullet and cut your losses - get another bike that doesn't have an Impulse or Evo motor.

Sorry, and I do feel your pain (been through it)...
Thanks, Will. I think it is going to come to that. I will just have to adjust to the idea.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
a custom mount could be made but buy the time you have had that done and a new motor batt display ect it would be cheaper just to buy a new bike.

id get the motor replaced and sell it on tho it will be a massive loss on what you paid for it but something is better than nothing.