Opinions Of Engwe engine 2 pro For 15 year old

gersrt

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 31, 2023
HI

My son has asked me for the Engwe Engine Pro 2 for christmas he is going on 15. I know very little about ebikes and the availability here in Ireland is not great.

Can anyone give me any advise as to the quality of this bike. I have looked at a couple of other slightly cheaper Fat Bikes but he said he wants this one because has hydraulic breaks, Nicer display and regenerating power.

Any advice greatly appreciated or alternatives with these features.

Thanks

• Disagree
Reactions: lenny

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
There's quite a range. Most of them are illegal to use on the road unless taxed, insured etc as a moped. Only the 250w max 25kph version stands a chance of being legal, even that talks about 'pure electric' mode which probably takes it out of GB and NI regulations for pedelec.

Are you in Northern Ireland or Southern? The laws are slightly different, with extra complications in NI.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The Engine Pro with hydraulic brakes is 1000w, so completely illegal wherever you are. It's what many of the deliveroo riders were using until the police started checking them.

A 15 year old shouldn't need 1000w unless he's very over-weight, in which case you should get him a non-electric bike so that he gets in shape.

Regen is terrible. Most people would switch it off if they could, but on some cheaper bikes it's not possible. Get one with a geared motor that has a clutch to freewheel.

gersrt

May 31, 2023
I apricate what your saying... but I did say I knew nothing about these things. Ive asked for advise or alternatives. You have given you point and noted thanks. But you don't need to keep coming back editing your post with more photos. If you have no alternatives or advice to give you have nothing more to add. But do appreciate your input and wont be getting him this bike. Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For anyone a 250w legal eapc will be ample with a decent controller and 17/18a at 36v or a 44/48v setup, both will supply 500w if ever needed.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
HI

My son has asked me for the Engwe Engine Pro 2 for christmas he is going on 15. I know very little about ebikes and the availability here in Ireland is not great.

Can anyone give me any advise as to the quality of this bike. I have looked at a couple of other slightly cheaper Fat Bikes but he said he wants this one because has hydraulic breaks, Nicer display and regenerating power.

Any advice greatly appreciated or alternatives with these features.

Thanks
AFAIK the Engwe Engine X is largely the same bike as the Pro, except it's toned down a bit to make it road legal in the UK/EU (15.5mph, 250w motor, disabled throttle). It even has a Certificate of Conformity stuck on the frame to prove it. It doesn't have hydraulic brakes and "regen" may sound like the must-have feature but adds nothing. I can see why Gen Z's may think they'd look dope surrounded by their easily impressed mates, but IMHO as a functioning e-bike everything about it smacks agricultural - build, quality, ride, weight. Can a 14 year old going on 15 handle a 31.5kg bike?

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
One useful feature of the 250w one? is the nylon sleeve in seat tube to prevent scratching of the painted seatpost. I greased seatpost as per recommendation and it won't stay up!
Chrome or even proper anodising also seem to be No more, just more and more black paint! (Edit, oops, moaning again, hehe :) )

For the OP, a local ebike store that'll honour the guarantee and fix it, *if* he drops it, is more important than exactly which model?

Another thing that makes me wonder about Engwe is their new X20. This bike has 3 suspension points. The rear ones do not appear to work at all, even for a 5' 9" adult!

Last edited:

gersrt

May 31, 2023
Looking at Engine X 250w limited to 25km.

But then I saw on YouTube this can be unlocked with a few button presses up to 40-60km depending on weight.

Is their anyway to disable the unlock??? Firmware etc..... I'm half thinking of disabling one of the buttons in the display to stop him unlocking it.

Disgraceful that something that is certified for use in EU or UK can be unlocked so easily

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If you converted a cool looking and compatible bike of his choice using a 250W Bafang BBS01B kit, you could run it "Headless" ie without a display, as this member has reported doing.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/running-bbs01-without-display.31146/#post-435412

...that way, your son would only have access to one PAS level, which could provide a lot of fun, if set up for high power until the 25km/h cutoff. Making changes would require a programming cable and a bit of knowhow. If you limit top speed at the controller but keep the display, he'd be able to go faster than 25km/h, by changing the wheel size.

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Looking at Engine X 250w limited to 25km.

But then I saw on YouTube this can be unlocked with a few button presses up to 40-60km depending on weight.

Is their anyway to disable the unlock??? Firmware etc..... I'm half thinking of disabling one of the buttons in the display to stop him unlocking it.

Disgraceful that something that is certified for use in EU or UK can be unlocked so easily
The other point is a hub motor that can do 60 km/h won't be very efficient or powerful at speeds < 25 km/h

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Sounds like what your son actually wants is a motorbike and it just ain't legal'

So, I too would go the conversion route. Find a bike he likes, some sort of mountain bike or hybrid would be good (either with hydraulic brakes or you can install them). Buy a kit, rear wheel hub or bottom bracket motor. Spend time with your son in the shed in a steep learning curve. Suddenly you are the facilitator rather than the old git who says no. AND you both learn about the bike, how it works and how to maintain it. What's not to like?
I would advise going for the hub motor because, if the right winding code is chosen, it's rpm (and therfore it's mph) will be limited by the laws of physics rather than programming (which your son would no doubt hack in about 5 minutes).
The only way of increasing the speed of such a motor would be to increase the battery voltage and I'm guessing this would be beyond pocket money.
This way the motor would be labelled 250w - legal.
Assist speed would be 15.5mph, actually probably slightly more but not enough to attract attention. Legal.
Do not fit a throttle, then he can't go hooning around without peddling, so will not attract attention of plod. Legal.
Explain that the bike will go faster than 15 it's just that he will have to work for it. Legal.

Quality time spent together and a skill set and knowledge base built beyond our crappy exam based education system.:)
Maybe the resultant bike won't have the street cred he thinks he wants but he'll be way more knowledgable than the empty 'mines bigger/faster than yours' morons.
Hell, bring him to me - I'd love to show him and I've got the shed for it.:cool:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Yup, the best way to restrict the bike is with a 201 rpm hub-motor for 26" wheel or 180 rpm for 29" and 700c. A 48v one will pull like a train, and there's very little you can do to speed it up above the legal limit. For that, you have to do a conversion of a normal bike and buy the motor and controller from BMSBattery or one of the other trusted Chinese resellers.

Reactions: flecc

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
My son will be 15 in two days. He wanted e-bike too. We had a long conversation and I explained to him why e-bike is not good for his physical development.
I am a terrible parent, I know... but my children almost never get what they want. They always get what I think is best for them.

Reactions: StuartsProjects

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My son will be 15 in two days. He wanted e-bike too. We had a long conversation and I explained to him why e-bike is not good for his physical development.
I am a terrible parent, I know... but my children almost never get what they want. They always get what I think is best for them.
Maybe look far ahead. There could come the day when you get what they think is best for you! :oops:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
As someone about to enter his 88th year, I hope you do and are still independent then.
Thank you.
I think it is safe to say we all here are impressed by how well you are doing. You are a true and unquestionable authority here.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Paul1962

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2024
35745 Herborn
No matter whether it is legal or not or whether an electrical vehicle should be in the hands of a 15 year old.
If you buy such a bike (Engwe, Eleglide, Fafrees or any other Chinese brand) you should be capable of fixing everything on your own or at least you have to know someone who can and is willing to help you.
Might be different in the UK, but here in Germany no local bike workshop will even touch such imported bikes from China. They will declare it as scrap and that's it

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No matter whether it is legal or not or whether an electrical vehicle should be in the hands of a 15 year old.
If you buy such a bike (Engwe, Eleglide, Fafrees or any other Chinese brand) you should be capable of fixing everything on your own or at least you have to know someone who can and is willing to help you.
Might be different in the UK, but here in Germany no local bike workshop will even touch such imported bikes from China. They will declare it as scrap and that's it
Very few in the UK will touch a chines hub bike either, simply because they have not the know how. Most only sell middrive and then a machine tells them what iswrong with it.
One reason why resources like this one and the .de forums exist because the greater combined knowledge is top class.