Opinions on this UK Ebay supplied 48v lithium battery

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
Apologies if this has already been mentioned on here, I looked but couldn't find any recent threads on it.

I've been keeping an eye open for a UK supplier of 48v lithium batteries with built in BMS and including a charger.

I just noticed these on Ebay, from Pedalease:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141198150930?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Specifications Model: 2014 Nominal voltage: 48V Capacity: 10.4Ah(25℃)
over-discharge protection.
Size 34 x 12 x 8 cms
Weight 4.3±0.05kg
Standard discharge 10±0.5A
Maximum continuous discharge current 25±0.5A
Discharge cut-off voltage ≥ 42V
Battery over-discharge protection
Charge voltage : 54.6±0.2V
Easy to Fit, Attaches to standard water bottle cage
Include:BMS, Battery charger

They're £290, buy it now, from Middlesex, including delivery.

It seems much lower than an comparable UK supplied battery of that spec, and with no customs or vat to pay, about the same price as from China without the delay or risk if faulty.

Any opinions on that spec ? or the supplier ?

48v 10ah uk battery.JPG

D

Deleted member 4366

I think you'll start to see a lot of that type of battery on OEM bikes this season. I've already seen some flash upon the advertising banner at the top of the page.

The case is a standard part that battery makers can buy and then install their own cell-packs inside. They take up to 50 18650 cells, so you can have a maximum of 14.5 aH, though most only have 40 cells, so 10.4 or 11.6 aH.

There's loads of different types of 18650 cells. If the supplier doesn't specifically mention, which type, you should assume that it has the cheaper ones.

A 10.4aH 36v battery from BMSB is less than £200. Is it worth paying an extra £90 for a guarantee?

Edit: Sorry. I've just seen 48v, so it should have 52 cells in it (13S4P). I doubt that it'll be suitable for higher powered motors, but great for over-volting a Q100, QSX or similar. At 48v, the price isn't so bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
Yes Dave, it was the 48 volt that appealed to me, and not seeing many UK supplied ones around.

I couldn't find an exact comparison on the BMS site, (not with the same lockable case etc), but their shrink wrapped ones seem to be about $259 to $319, plus around $95 shipping, plus I usually get hit for the VAT etc, around $70, so around $450, or £270.

Has anyone handled any of those cases and brackets ? They look quite neat and practical. Do you think the locking mechanism is sturdy ?

Is it a standard design maybe ? I was thinking of buying a spare bracket if they're available anywhere, so it could be fitted to a second bike, all wired up, to make use of the same battery.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Yes from China Paul is an English man and he is very good guy with his business for years. If you search Cellman you will know how good of his stuff.

Of course, you will get caught of the duty £30+ but you will be guaranteed a quality battery pack.

Pat

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
It would certainly be a big plus point to be dealing with someone with well known good feedback, but EM3EV is still based in China, so the shipping, Customs, and VAT brings the price up to about the same as that UK Ebay supplier, (without the Ebay/Paypal money back guarantee if it was DOA).

I have to admit I've had good service from BMS on the three occasions I've ordered from them, but can never forget the two controllers from Conhismotor. That lost me £60, and they may as well have been made out of chocolate !

With 48v batteries costing around £300 delivered, that would really be upping the stakes. :eek:

Kramer

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2013
I asked the question a few weeks back about the cells in the 36V version and was given the following response, "The brand is ZHT and it uses 18650 cells".

Kramer

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2013
Is it a standard design maybe ? I was thinking of buying a spare bracket if they're available anywhere, so it could be fitted to a second bike, all wired up, to make use of the same battery.
Cases are available separately: -

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/new-bottle-battery-case-electric-bike-battery-case-ebike-battery-case-ebike-battery-carry/637802_1600570969.html

Not sure how they can call it a "bottle" battery case though. Bottle bracket mounted case might be more appropriate.

Reactions: Arbol

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I've bitten the bullet at last and ordered one of these batteries.

£290 all in, carriage and no vat or import duty, because it's coming from the uk, and by express delivery.

5 months ago I put a MXUS cassette rear wheel motor on my Trance, supplied by Dave. I was very pleased with the lightness and power, running it on my 36 volt lithium ion batteries.

Dave mentioned that the motor is even better on 48 volts, so it's always been at the back of my mind (damn it !). :)

Now that I've shifted Dave's lcd panel and controller to my Dahon, I've ordered an S12S sine wave controller from BMS as well. So the plan is to combine the MXUS 350w with that controller and this new 48v battery.

The S12S will give me switchable 36/48 volts via the panel, so I can still mix and match my batteries for range etc.. I've been using the smaller SO6S sinewave controller on my step-through bike for a year now, and it does seem smoother and quieter than the old square wave KU65.

I think I may have to increase the controller's shunt resistance to not fry the MXUS motor, but I believe it's quite close at 22 amps ? down to maybe 18 ? So it should also be nicely de-strressed and run cooler.

I know it sounds daft to have so many ebikes, but as well as choice, they come in handy when friends visit, where I can offer them a "spin around the country lanes", had quite a few converts to ebiking that way too...... :)

Last edited: