Optibike 3 Months Review (short)

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Flecc

I have to say it's VERY practical. I do most things on this bike. Shop, take my son to school. Even go to meetings on it. I've a bike back- pack that fits work clothes tools spares etc just fine. And I've always preferred the feel of a bike specific backpack (with water bladder) than loaded panniers.

I ride at the legal 200watts. And that's fast enough for me. I've good trail access so when I go on them I put back on the regular 26" MTB knobbies and fly around on the 850watts.. Bigger shopping trips and 4year old school transportation I do with a child-trailer that attaches in minutes.

So it VERY practical. A lack of paraphernalia doesn't equal a lack of practicality.

As to fenders. I've got a sett of aftermarket ones that attach in about 30 seconds for when it rains. But remember I ride in sydney not London weather.

I've used this bike so much I've also dropped 6kgs over Christmas.!

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
Bonza cycle Tex !!
Great streamlined style--these bikes are superb and I think like for like in comparison to any other brand worth their weight.Just checking the Optibike website for any potential customers/wouldbe commuters -the bike comes fitted with twin halogens + rear light [may be clip-on] It can also be kitted out with a rack[seatpost]+ panniers. So a decent commuter I would have thought.Wish I had one anyway. Restricted of course !!!

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Thanks xcytronex. Yep the Halogens are in that lump in the front on the pic. You'll notice a small clip on led tail light at the base of the seat post. As I said. I use a backpack on my bikes anyways so panniers not an issue for me.

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Interesting review. Thanks

This is just a total shot in the dark, a random guess. On Sunday, will you, by any chance, be barbecuing a Kangaroo and drinking tins if larger?
Tillson. I'm actually having a beer now. Been out on this: YouTube - Cadence Sydney

They sell kangaroo meat at the shops. Seriously. Very lean healthy meat! No barbie today. "Total fire ban" on today which is policed rigorously. And it's to #%^#ing hot anyway.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Tillson. I'm actually having a beer now. Been out on this: YouTube - Cadence Sydney

They sell kangaroo meat at the shops. Seriously. Very lean healthy meat! No barbie today. "Total fire ban" on today which is policed rigorously. And it's to #%^#ing hot anyway.
I thought that you could buy Kangaroo, but I've never seen it on sale here or tried it. Ostrich is available, and one or two enterprising farmers have taken to breeding them. I have tried this meat and this too is very lean and tasty!

Returning to your bike, have you any idea of the range when using the maximum power setting.

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Yes Im getting one next week and hope it stops raining so I can get out a bit!

Last edited:

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I thought that you could buy Kangaroo, but I've never seen it on sale here or tried it. Ostrich is available, and one or two enterprising farmers have taken to breeding them. I have tried this meat and this too is very lean and tasty!

Returning to your bike, have you any idea of the range when using the maximum power setting.
With 120bpm heart rate effort pedaling on mixed terrain probably 45k. Only tried it off road so there'd be some efficiency loss there. It's no moped and you get a workout ... Just a prety fast one!

_g_

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 14, 2008
Whats the point - just get a moped. Am I missing something??
This thing would be no good for cardio with 800 watts
This thing would need number plates, tax and mot and a lot of spare cash to purchase it!
It would be cheaper to run a 10 year familly rover car 200 for 3 years inc petrol
Its not an ebike and should be in an electric moped forum called posers mopeds for the rich.:D
Even at 800W rather than the lower setting, I presume you can still stick the bike in a high gear and add to it with foot power. Hell, for off-road I'm generally more knackered after a (motorbike) enduro than a (mountain bike) XC race with both the same duration.
I don't know the laws in Australia, but I'm pretty sure from when I was around there 'MOT' was something else, at least.
Can you pick up a moped or rover 200 (not sure you can get them in Australia either ;)) in the boot of another car, on the train or hang it on the wall above your stairs in a flat?

Oh and when I was in Oz as a kid (used to live in PNG) we stayed on a Kangaroo farm :).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, a trailer does make it more practical Tex. I was speaking for myself in the UK though where it wouldn't suit me. I do use trailers, even very large ones, but wherever possible I prefer to carry on the bike to avoid the extra drag of trailer tyres which can be quite considerable. So for me a decent carrier mounting for large panniers is essential, and as you say, with UK weather I need to have decent mudguards as a permanent feature for utility cycling.

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Even at 800W rather than the lower setting, I presume you can still stick the bike in a high gear and add to it with foot power. Hell, for off-road I'm generally more knackered after a (motorbike) enduro than a (mountain bike) XC race with both the same duration.
I don't know the laws in Australia, but I'm pretty sure from when I was around there 'MOT' was something else, at least.
Can you pick up a moped or rover 200 (not sure you can get them in Australia either ;)) in the boot of another car, on the train or hang it on the wall above your stairs in a flat?

Oh and when I was in Oz as a kid (used to live in PNG) we stayed on a Kangaroo farm :).
I'm pretty knackered after an off road ride yes. 800watts is not a crazy power. I think 800 watts tho is probably the limit for a "e-bike". You can still notice the effect of your input and it's not really that fast without it in the scheme of things. To me it's better than another car on the road or 4x4 off road.

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Yes, a trailer does make it more practical Tex. I was speaking for myself in the UK though where it wouldn't suit me. I do use trailers, even very large ones, but wherever possible I prefer to carry on the bike to avoid the extra drag of trailer tyres which can be quite considerable. So for me a decent carrier mounting for large panniers is essential, and as you say, with UK weather I need to have decent mudguards as a permanent feature for utility cycling.
I only use the trailer for school run and big grocery shopping flecc. Most of the time it's just the backpack or for shorter rides a small underseat bag with spares and a micro pump. Just like on my unpowered bikes.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
red one recently on Gumtree for £1500

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Are the cranks on the mainframe or swingarm? Older full suspension bikes had the pedals on the swingarm, but they never caught on, as the pedals transmitted feedback as if unsuspended. It needs all contact points of the bike to be on the suspended mainframe.

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I didnt think anyone had one in the UK, did anyone buy it?:)
There are a few (discrete) owners there in the UK. One has over 15,000 miles on his.

Last edited:

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Tex
I noticed that your wheels look skinny compared to other optibikes on youtube I have seen have fatter tyres are they an option?
Whats the difference between the 850R and the 850XLI?
I was interested to know how much it cost delivered, being a nosey sod?:D

Last edited:

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Tex
I noticed that your wheels look skinny compared to other optibikes on youtube I have seen have fatter tyres are they an option?
Whats the difference between the 850R and the 850XLI?
I was interested to know how much it cost delivered, being a nosey sod?:D
The 850r has the Rolhoff speedhub.

The skinny wheels are just 700/32c's (28"). I put in when on blacktop. I still have the regular 26" MTB knobbies for offroad. Disc brakes allow the (slightly different) wheel sizes to be accommodated.

$? Don't ask! :p

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
TEX

I got hold of a Optibike 600T and its like new and was never really used
and I was wondering if u had the external battery...
and can I use the internal battery charger on it?
I was also wondering if I could upgrade to the 850 motor in the future and
is it a simple task of motor swop or is there more to it?:confused: