Optibike 3 Months Review (short)

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Great bike Tex. I'd imagine there's no feeling quite like cycling with 800W of additional power. Those forks are worth more than my entire bike! It just oozes quality.

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
thanks caph

i decided to splurge, considering i did the right thing and got rid of car!

the forks lock out, unfortunately the rear shock only semi-locks

Last edited:

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
TEX

I got hold of a Optibike 600T and its like new and was never really used
and I was wondering if u had the external battery...
and can I use the internal battery charger on it?
I was also wondering if I could upgrade to the 850 motor in the future and
is it a simple task of motor swop or is there more to it?:confused:
i did not end up getting the external battery, as with 80K of range i've not yet had to call on the extra air.

i believe a motor can be swapped. to find out more you can go to the optibike owners forum where there a many tech-competent members who are always willing to help ou

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
I have found out I need another charger for the external battery and it must have a 3 pin din

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have found out I need another charger for the external battery and it must have a 3 pin din
That's probably an XLR connector Steve, not DIN, though if a fraction smaller than XLR an NTC microphone
connector. You can buy an XLR plug from Maplin and fit it to whatever charger you buy, but make sure the
connections are the right way round. Only the outer two are used on a Li-ion battery, pos and neg, the centre
one is left free.

Before soldering on the wires, make sure you've put the other XLR plug parts onto the lead as shown at the right,
first the rubber grommet (1) the right way round, then the body (2) as shown, last the clear insulating sleeve (3),
cone larger side towards the cable end. When soldered, slide the clear cone over the three solder connection
tags, then slide on the metal body and tighten it's screw firmly, finally twist in the grommet head and replace the
cable clamp and screws. The XLR one illustrated below has the third wire since it's for an NiMh battery:

Last edited:

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
That's probably an XLR connector Steve, not DIN, though if a fraction smaller than XLR an NTC microphone
connector. You can buy an XLR plug from Maplin and fit it to whatever charger you buy, but make sure the
connections are the right way round. Only the outer two are used on a Li-ion battery, pos and neg, the centre
one is left free.

Before soldering on the wires, make sure you've put the other XLR plug parts onto the lead as shown at the right,
first the rubber grommet (1) the right way round, then the body (2) as shown, last the clear insulating sleeve (3),
cone larger side towards the cable end. When soldered, slide the clear cone over the three solder connection
tags, then slide on the metal body and tighten it's screw firmly, finally twist in the grommet head and replace the
cable clamp and screws. The XLR one illustrated below has the third wire since it's for an NiMh battery:

Thanks Fleec

I was wodering do I need a special charger from Optibike for the batterry?
I would like one with a fan cooler
I have shown it above in the picture or can I buy a generic one and can I use one off BMS Battery site and what would u recommmend as its 36 volts
and the motor is 600 watt ok:confused:

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Jez where did you find the bike Steve?:p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was wodering do I need a special charger from Optibike for the batterry?
I would like one with a fan cooler
I have shown it above in the picture or can I buy a generic one and can I use one off BMS Battery site and what would u recommmend as its 36 volts
and the motor is 600 watt ok:confused:
I don't know what the capacity of that battery is Steve, but the eZee li-ion/li-poly charger for their 36 volt
14 Ah is fan cooled and comes with an XLR connector already on. However, you'd need to check the connections
were the right way round for your battery and if your connector is the smaller NTC one you'd still need to change
that, but it should be ok for you otherwise.

Being a charger from a bike supplier it is fairly expensive at £100, so it might be just as well to get the Optibike
one if that's not too much dearer.

Last edited:

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
I don't know what the capacity of that battery is Steve, but the eZee li-ion/li-poly charger for their 36 volt
14 Ah is fan cooled and comes with an XLR connector already on. However, you'd need to check the connections
were the right way round for your battery and if your connector is the smaller NTC one you'd still need to change
that, but it should be ok for you otherwise.

Being a charger from a bike supplier it is fairly expensive at £100, so it might be just as well to get the Optibike
one if that's not too much dearer.

optibike charger is $160 plus postage what ever that will be

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Its a really interesting looking bike Steve, enjoy the heck out of it. The only thing I don't like is that front motor bike style mud guard. Its not really long enough you're going to get covered in muck real quick in bad weather!

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Its a really interesting looking bike Steve, enjoy the heck out of it. The only thing I don't like is that front motor bike style mud guard. Its not really long enough you're going to get covered in muck real quick in bad weather!
I love riding it and I can live with the front mud guard and not going out in the rain its to wet :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
optibike charger is $160 plus postage what ever that will be
That's £99 at today. If you choose the normal USPS express (about 12 days) or standard postal service, rather than a courier like UPS, it shouldn't cost too much P & P. Although a bit dearer overall than the eZee one, it would be absolutely right with the correct connector.

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
That's £99 at today. If you choose the normal USPS express (about 12 days) or standard postal service, rather than a courier like UPS, it shouldn't cost too much P & P. Although a bit dearer overall than the eZee one, it would be absolutely right with the correct connector.
I have been quoted $245 delivered from Optibike so looks like best bet
and I going Las Vegas end of month I could pick it up from Boulder personally
but its over a 1000 miles or 2000 return journey:D