Optobike 600T test ride

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Hi Chaps

spec

factory moded with 200watt eco mode / 600 Watt switch and running slicks on 26" wheels
Deluxe 8 speed Derauiller
SRAM X7 Derauiller
11-34 cassette with 44t front ring
SRAM PC971 chain
SRAM X7 grip shifter
Mavic CrossRide wheels
Fox Float R Shock
Fox Vanilla R
Aluminum Monocoque frame
Hydraulic Disk:Avid BB7
internal 36 Volt 13ah NiMH
custom painted in Baby blue
UltraBright Twin 10w Halogen
Weight 58 lbs

I have been out 3 times and yes this manchine is fantastic!
I tend to pedal with motor most of the time and standing start I peddle first
in 1st or 2nd gear and jump to 4th then 6 and then 8th on the straight.
The handling of this bike is out of this world and it glides over curbs and I feel very safe.
I have been up to 30 mph with heavy peddle assist
I have noticed the new bikes have the Rohloff Speedhub 500/14 and that might be my next upgrade next year and prob let the bike shop fit it as I want to cables in the frame.
I am waiting for the external battery charger to arrive next week from Optibike so I can test her with both batteries and report back with distances covered by both.
I will be out on the Pennine trail if the weather bucks up later today and get a long run 12 miles to lymm and 12 back.
I wll post some more in a few weeks
I looked at a few other electric bikes. But, this thing thrashes the competition :D

Thanks Steve

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Glad you are enjoying it Steve, it's more of a moped through isn't it! ;)

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Glad you are enjoying it Steve, it's more of a moped through isn't it! ;)
I would say its more like a high end MTB with a powerful motor as I haven't seen a moped on 26" bike wheels yet...unless you no different?;)

Last edited:

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Glad the ride has been good so far. It's a pretty special machine. Great for fitness a well. I find my heart rate stays mostly above 130bpm on mine. You still get a workout only FASTER. wait till you find a piece of singletrack!!

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Glad the ride has been good so far. It's a pretty special machine. Great for fitness a well. I find my heart rate stays mostly above 130bpm on mine. You still get a workout only FASTER. wait till you find a piece of singletrack!!
Hi Tex

I noticed you r on the Optibike owners group and what happened to your mudguards dont u need them in Aussie?
I am just waiting for better weather
as its still cold in Manchester and love the bike and just need an electric car now! :D

Last edited:

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Hi Tex

I noticed you r on the Optibike owners group and what happened to your mudguards dont u need them in Aussie?
I am just waiting for better weather
as its still cold in Manchester and love the bike and just need an electric car now! :D
I don't really need them. I've one that clips on in seconds for the back and the front one isn't really necessary anyway. The weather's pretty good here. 30 degrees today! So off on the pedal boat!

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Steve, i'll keep an eye out for you in Manchester then, i think you're baby blue Optibike might get more attention than my Aurora though.:D

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Interesting looking bike..for some reason this bike reminds me of a BMW bike I once saw. I think it's the shape of the molding and the position of round logo.

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
They both look like powered "Boris Bikes":

I no Flecc isnt a fan of Optibikes and I got this by chance and its growing
on me and time will tell and yes I do have a set of panniers for it flecc :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not for me, sure, but I was only teasing Steve. There is a very real market for such as the Optibike and the more choice we have, the better.

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Not for me, sure, but I was only teasing Steve. There is a very real market for such as the Optibike and the more choice we have, the better.
I realise a lot of Optibike owners do offroad after reading there forum and thats why they bought it and
I will be doing road and Pennie way only on these slicks :D

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I will be doing road and Pennie way on these slicks :D
Legal issues aside, I can see the appeal of these bikes for trail riding. There are a lot of people who enjoy riding along, Green Lanes / RUPs etc on motor bikes, but mainly through a combination of growing public ignorance and a handful of irresponsible riders, it is becoming more trouble than it is worth. Something like an Optibike would probably do the job nicely and be better received.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Legal issues aside, I can see the appeal of these bikes for trail riding. There are a lot of people who enjoy riding along, Green Lanes / RUPs etc on motor bikes, but mainly through a combination of growing public ignorance and a handful of irresponsible riders, it is becoming more trouble than it is worth. Something like an Optibike would probably do the job nicely and be better received.
That's a good point.. a bike like the Optibike is kind of a hybrid pedelec/motorbike really.. It's better to have people using these quiet clean bikes instead of the annoying 50cc motorbikes in the quiet rural countryside areas. Saying that, the Optbike has a hefty price tag, can't see many young folks affording these!

I'm sure they are great fun to ride but I'm with flecc on this..this kind of bike is a million miles away from my idea of a pedelec bike and definitely not my cup of tea. And to think, when I first got interested in buying an electric bike I was seriously considering one of those moped-style with pedals. I'm glad I never bought one as it would of been restrictive compared to the freedom gained from a true pedelec.

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
That's a good point.. a bike like the Optibike is kind of a hybrid pedelec/motorbike really.. It's better to have people using these quiet clean bikes instead of the annoying 50cc motorbikes in the quiet rural countryside areas. Saying that, the Optbike has a hefty price tag, can't see many young folks affording these!

I'm sure they are great fun to ride but I'm with flecc on this..this kind of bike is a million miles away from my idea of a pedelec bike and definitely not my cup of tea. And to think, when I first got interested in buying an electric bike I was seriously considering one of those moped-style with pedals. I'm glad I never bought one as it would of been restrictive compared to the freedom gained from a true pedelec.
the thing that's different about the optibike is that it still feels like a bike. it has quite a natural feel, especially at 200watts (limited). it weighs around the same as a Wisper with the bigger battery. what's different about it is that it gives you a choice. swap to 800 watts and you got some extra oomph for off road power up killer hills that would stop a 200watt machine. but the power is NOWHERE near the power of some DD systems which go up to 4kw, or a petrol moped - which, here in oz at least start at around 2kw minimum.

also the 22ahr battery gives huge range at the lower speed setting. its all about choices and flexibility

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
I agree it feels and rides like a MTB.. not a moped!
I think all these moped talkers need to test ride an Optibike ;)

Last edited: