Oxydrive kits

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Look for the 250 watt sticker. As long as you don't pass a policeman at 30 with your feet on the bars you should slip under the radar.
Two accident scenarios spring to mind.
1 worse case a fatality. Then the bike is tested.
Result is bad with no insurance and etc.
2 injury. Unless the bike is held/ tested no proof of illegality is available. Run out the insurance and pray you are not caught.

Personal experience was 17 mph on a slight down hill.
Bike was legal.
Driver since prosecuted, still working out damages ££?
Two months on sick and bust bike and arm.
Could have been pricy.
thanks for the real world feedback - on a separate note - how insane would it be to fit a kit like this without the brake cut outs? the b'twin has integrated shifters/brake levers (one yanks it inwards and outwards to shift gears, i think its shimano 2300 STI's), alternatively does anyone know of a simple way to fit cut out switches to original, different brake levers than those supplied? somehow oxygen must have teh kit to do it because their mountain bike with this kit has hydraulic brakes. Again many thanks for the advice

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
This looks to be a great piece of kit for the money. I was looking at the BB01 which looked quite simple. Is swapping the rear gear system difficult? I am a complete novice with mechanics but hoping for a Spring project and have time to tinker. Thanks in advance.
I'm a complete noob with bicycles, but swapping a casette is absolute simplicity - i find its easier to just buy a new one (for less than a tenner) than to engage in the major muscle work of trying to unscrew an old one

Reactions: Staffordshirehills

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I would have cut outs as when you need to stop,, well you do.
For cut outs reed switches and magnets are a simple addition.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
I would have cut outs as when you need to stop,, well you do.
For cut outs reed switches and magnets are a simple addition.
thanks - do you mean something like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10pcs-Reed-Switch-MagSwitch-2-14mm-Normally-Open-Magnetic-Induction-Switch-/301271869065?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item462533e689#ht_5521wt_1002
How does one fit it? i imagine i'd cut the wires from the new break grip i get from oxygen and attach this reed switch to it - but which wires does one attach where and what part of teh reed switch goes where? many thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

thanks for the real world feedback - on a separate note - how insane would it be to fit a kit like this without the brake cut outs?
It's always safer to fit brake cut-out switches. I can't remember if the new Oxydrive are two or three wire. What ever they are, you can cut off a connector and make your own switch. You only need one on the back brake. If you're very lucky, you might be able to remove the sensor from the Oxydrive brake and fix it to your one.

D

Deleted member 4366

This looks to be a great piece of kit for the money. I was looking at the BB01 which looked quite simple. Is swapping the rear gear system difficult? I am a complete novice with mechanics but hoping for a Spring project and have time to tinker. Thanks in advance.
The gears are no problem at all. You need the special cassette removal tool and a chain whip to fit a cassette. It can be done without them, but that involves a lot of messing about. The tools don't cost much.

D

Deleted member 4366

There's some misinformation starting to spread again. This kit has been tested by SGS and certified that it complies with EN15194, so you don't have to worry about any policemen. Obviously, if you derestrict it, you face the same risks as any deresricted bike. The kit is exactly the same components as on the Oxygen MTB, which I guess is how it was tested.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
It's always safer to fit brake cut-out switches. I can't remember if the new Oxydrive are two or three wire. What ever they are, you can cut off a connector and make your own switch. You only need one on the back brake. If you're very lucky, you might be able to remove the sensor from the Oxydrive brake and fix it to your one.
many thanks, if I put it on the btwin i will give making a reed switch a go, at least it should be educational - as a final aside - if any of you had a very limited budget ( I mean as cheap as possible), and wanted to buy a used 29er - the kind of thing that had commuting geometry (sort off sit up and beg), but that also allowed one to bunny hop pavements on the way back home on a Friday, or take adventurous shortcuts through forests, or go on sudden unexpected tours into hidden countryside, what would you buy? and where would you look? the more I think about it the more I realise this would be good. many thanks for your advice

D

Deleted member 4366

I'd stick with 26" wheels - more choice and better torque from the motor.

BTW, the brake connectors are two wire, so a reed switch would be easy to wire. You could also nick the sensor and magnet off a cheap cycle computer. Strap the sensor to the frame where there's bare cable and fix the magnet to the cable for an effective two wire brake switch.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ordered mine today £494 inc delivery.

D

Deleted member 4366

Please let us know about installation and performance.,

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
I have been holding off my bouncer build for some time, had factored in about £600 for a CST (500w) and frame battery, then saw this thread...
Just ordered an Oxydrive CST for my old Giant Trance... Couldn't resist a bargain like that!
I'll post the build and report when I get it fitted (will do drekkly) :p

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I have been holding off my bouncer build for some time, had factored in about £600 for a CST (500w) and frame battery, then saw this thread...
Just ordered an Oxydrive CST for my old Giant Trance... Couldn't resist a bargain like that!
I'll post the build and report when I get it fitted (will do drekkly) :p
I've ridden the kit as fitted to the Oxygen MTB - you won't be disappointed.

Ian_Fearn

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2007
Please excuse my utter ignorance, but is the Oxydrive CST kit limited to 15mph and do you have to pedal to make the motor drive?

My daily commute of 12 miles is quite hilly so I need something with a bit of grunt. Does this mean i'm looking for a motor with plenty of torque?

Thanks, Ian

D

Deleted member 4366

It's limited by default to 15.5 mph, but you can reprogram it to any speed. ITo reprogram it you only have to press some buttons on the LCD. The sequence is documented in a post on this forum. You can use the search to find it, or use Google. If you still can't find it and want to do it, ask again here. It has plenty of grunt for hills, especially compared with other legal kits. If you can say how steep the hills are and how heavy you are, we can give more specific guidance.

Ian_Fearn

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2007
Thank you for this info d8veh, really helpful.

I'm less than 12 stone (76kgs). Is there a website where I could find out how steep a hill is on a given road?

D

Deleted member 4366

At only 12 stone, it'll get you up any hills that you're likely to encounter, so don't worry.

Ian_Fearn

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2007
Just finally, is this a kit you need to peddle to get moving or is it throttle operated?

I've got a Specialized hybrid bike in good order that I commuted on all last summer but it was gradually making me too tired to do much in the evenings. This is designed to completely replace the car for 95% of my commuting.

dean_ham

Just Joined
Nov 1, 2013
Hi guys, I'm also looking at purchasing the OXYDrive CST HT 36V 13Ah kit.

I have a Scott Aspect 20 2008 model hard tail. http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=2008&brand=Scott&model=Aspect+20

Can you see any problems with fitting this kit to this particular bike before I press the buy button?

Also are there any videos out there of reviews of this product or actually what it looks like on the bike ? Can't find much out there on Google, is it a new product and is it good value for near £500?

Thanks!

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
The kit components state that there is a thumb throttle included.
BTW, I just got an email stating that delivery may be slightly delayed due to high demand!