Oxydrive kits

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

Check that your connectors are properly together. Pull them apart first to make sure that there's no bent pins.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
unplug the LCD and controller. There should be 5 or 6 wires going through the main cable between the LCD socket and the controller 5-pin connector. Check with a multitester for shorts.
You can download the manual by googling Bigstone C300 or C500 manual.

morsmana

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2015
Thanks both. I've checked all the wiring and pins- none damaged, all plugs seem to go in without forcing etc. When you say check for shorts, do you mean across all the pin combinations in the cable between the LCD and the controller?

D

Deleted member 4366

Was it working properly and showing the correct speed before this started? Try spinning the wheel to see if the speed display works.

You can't check this kit for shorts or anything else. Do not try to stick multimeter probes onto the pins in the connectors. They're very close together, which makes a short almost certain. That would have fatal consequences for your kit.

morsmana

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2015
Thanks d8veh. Confirm I haven't used a multimeter on anything! The motor runs on throttle and on pedal assist ok, just the display goes straight to maint 09 so hasn't displayed speed at all.

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm wondering if it's the same problem as the other guy had, where the controller was programmed for the wrong speed sensor source. Have a look a few posts up to see what Oxydrive said and try that.

morsmana

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2015
I'm going mad, I can't find the post you're referring to! I found the one that the guy smelt burning from the controller and Andrew replaced it, but not the one referring to wrong programming!

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
A different Oxydrive question.

Can the CST HT kit be made to work with drop handlebars? I understand that I could simply ignore the brake levers that come with the kit and not fit them, but is there a relatively simple way of adapting them or the brake levers on the bike to stop the motor when braking?

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 4366

Are you sure that the motor connector is pushed together all the way?

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
A different Oxydrive question.

Can the CST HT kit be made to work with drop handlebars? I understand that I could simply ignore the brake levers that come with the kit and not fit them, but is there a relatively simple way of adapting them or the brake levers on the bike to stop the motor when braking?
yes, bif you look back over this long topic theres somepcks of my btwin triban 3 dfropbar with just that kit, it works a treat, 26mph easy on level,good hillclimbing
Thanks.

morsmana

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2015
Yes all pushed home. Same error with the motor connected or not. Also connected motor from other conversion with same result. Starting to suspect controller, but will swap them over when I have a chance in a couple of days. Have mailed Andrew at Oxy asking him to,look at the thread. . Ps bought those SKS mudguards you recommended, looking gooood!

OXYDrive

Finding my (electric) wheels
Error 09 means abnormal display communication. Andy most likely it is a display issue or connection problem. You could also try to plug this display to your other kit and see if it does the same. If it does surely we get you a replacement. Swaping them over its probably the best way to find out where the problem is.

Waiting for the news

Andrew

morsmana

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2015
Hi Andrew. Process of elimination, I think it's the comms cable from the display to,the controller. Tried all the other combinations between the two bikes!

morsmana

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2015
First real ride on my Oxydrive conversion (herladyship will be on hers this weekend I hope). This is what an ebike does for me: 13.8 miles in 1.30hrs, total elevation climbed - over 1500ft in the Cumbrian hills around Alston. Think I've sussed out the problem I experienced with very low speed cut out on v steep hills (speed would appear to vary instantaneously between 0 and 50 with corresponding motor on off) - if I reduce the assist to level 1 then it's ok. Could it be a current limiter of some sort kicking in? Anyhow I'm 110kg and I've never ridden like this before - a good workout yes, but never out of breath or high heart rate and felt I could have carried on for ever! Battery use very close to that predicted on Trip Simulator now giving me real confidence to go further...

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Hi
If you ride around Alston maybe we could meet up for a ride out sometime.
I live near Middleton in Teesdale and can do 100 miles+ to a set of batteries .

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
6.jpg
That motor is a code 10, which is about 315 rpm at 36v or 24 mph on the road. It'll be fast with 48v, but not very efficient for climbing.If it's truly a 500w one, then a 36v battery and a 30 amp controller would be better for climbing,
I finally got the bike.It had a moto 12 a controller.And a led meter.Something felt very wrong from the beginning.With fully charged battery the led display went right down to one light at the battery indicator under load.And the tree speed levels did not work.only power level one worked,the two other power levels worked but did not give any more speed or power.The bike only reached about 18 kmh.I tried with a s09p sensorless controller and it did 29 kmh.Then I changed to a s06s controller and a slcd3 display from my Xiongda.Everything works very nicely now.The motor has a no load speed at 39 kmh with fully charged battery.I can reach 35 kmh with hard pedaling.The lcd3 shows the motor draws 500 w with a fully charged battery.If this is correct I am extremely impressed with the torque at such a low current.It climbs as good as my neo cross on hills but have bigger top speed.The company I ordered it from insists it is a 500w motor marked 250w.What do you think D8veh?

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Hi
If you ride around Alston maybe we could meet up for a ride out sometime.
I live near Middleton in Teesdale and can do 100 miles+ to a set of batteries .
Ah Alston, many years ago in my youth I used to drive from near Penrith to Newcastle over Hartside in a 1966 1275cc Mini Cooper S, so much fun:)

Reactions: Kinninvie
D

Deleted member 4366

View attachment 10723

I finally got the bike.It had a moto 12 a controller.And a led meter.Something felt very wrong from the beginning.With fully charged battery the led display went right down to one light at the battery indicator under load.And the tree speed levels did not work.only power level one worked,the two other power levels worked but did not give any more speed or power.The bike only reached about 18 kmh.I tried with a s09p sensorless controller and it did 29 kmh.Then I changed to a s06s controller and a slcd3 display from my Xiongda.Everything works very nicely now.The motor has a no load speed at 39 kmh with fully charged battery.I can reach 35 kmh with hard pedaling.The lcd3 shows the motor draws 500 w with a fully charged battery.If this is correct I am extremely impressed with the torque at such a low current.It climbs as good as my neo cross on hills but have bigger top speed.The company I ordered it from insists it is a 500w motor marked 250w.What do you think D8veh?
The sweet spot for those motors is 22A, which consumes about 900w. You need a battery capable of giving that current too.

The problem with your first controller is that you connected woth the incorrect phase/hall sequence. You had what's known as a false positive, which runs very inefficiently and draws a very high current. You have to go through all 36 combinations to find the best one. It helps if you have a wattmeter to see which combination gives the lowest no-load current. You can't always connect colour to colour when matching the controller to the motor. Some controllers have automatic phase/hall sequence recognition.

Last edited by a moderator:

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
Thanks again,I didnt think about that.I assumed the controller was broken someway.Even if it was brand new;) .I didnt connect it,it came this way from the factory.The Chinese changed the motor for me with a BPM motor and did not match the controller and the battery.They also told med the motor had around 210 rpm.How can they know so little about their products.But the s06s controller is much better and has a shunt to.So I want change back.
39kmh no load speed with fully charged battery,which code is that?
Is the effenciy ok for hillclimbing.It has very good torque even at 500w max current.
If I use another 10ah not high C battery and join it with the orginal battery.Will the 2 batteries together be able to deliver 22 amp continously? I can put it on the rack like the pic below.It is a tonaro bighit battery.20150227_204338 (1).jpg

Last edited: