Oxydrive kits

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
Just finished the frame swop on my bike and to say it's transformed the bike is an understatement. My main reason for the swop was because my old Specialized Hardrock frame was a 'small' size and it was. I have lived with it for years but I felt the time was right to get it sorted. I had always felt that when I did the swop, I may as well get a suspension frame but with the Oxydrive kit going on last year the choice of frame became harder - I had to know that the battery would fit. This is why I took great interest in Baldylox' build on his Giant Trance - a very nice full sus bike that due to it's suspension layout/shock placement accommodated the Oxydrive frame battery. I then did some research on full sus frame design and noted that the Trance had won many awards and several Best Buy reviews. Good enough for me! I ended up finding a 2012 Large frame on the Bay which also had an upgraded shock (Fox Float RP23) and it was even the right colour. It had some digs and chips in various places but nothing that would affect the workings so I bagged it for £175. On arrival, the first thing I did was strip down my Hardrock and weigh both the frames. The difference would never had prevented me using the Trance, but curiosity got the better of me. The Trance was just 16oz heavier which I was confused at. I even weighed it three times to be sure, but it was right. How Giant have done this I have no idea – the Hardrock is not known to be a heavy hardtail frame by any means, and the Trance has far beefier frame tubing, a bigger headtube area and all the suspension linkages (and shock) to boot. Neither is the Trance carbon. Amazing.

So the process of swopping everything over started to commence and I identified there were a few minor issues. My forks were non-tapered, the rear hydraulic hose wasn't long enough, all the gear cables would need to be replaced, the rear caliper mounts were post type (my old ones were IS), my PAS wheel wouldn't fit and the Trance had cable guides on top of the downtube which would mean some head scratching in terms of fitting the battery securely. Oh and I could not fit my PAS sensor as the BB bearings are pressed into the frame and I really didn't want to remove them.

Getting the forks in was thankfully quite simple – I bought a straight to 1.5” taper adaptor then used the regular 1.5” tapered headset kit that came with the frame. A new Shimano gear cable set was bought, as was a new hose kit for the brake and a 203mm post to post caliper adaptor. All fairly simple so far. I then moved onto the PAS wheel – I ground out the centre hole even bigger (I had already ground it out to fit my old frame with Hollowtech crank) so it would go over the pressfit BB but then had another problem in that the clearance for the suspension linkages was tight, real tight. I really didn't want to fit all the PAS stuff on the non-drive side (I prefer the clean looks using the drive side) so after looking at ways around the problem I ended up grinding off plastic in the only area possible (near where the snap ring sits) to make the disc as narrow as it could be. I took off just enough to still allow the ring to be used but after fitting it all back up I was close, but not close enough. I needed about an extra 1.5mm. Lots of head scratching took place at which point I realised that spacing out the drive side by the same amount would unlikely cause any issues with chain line/gear indexing so looking around the trusty shed I found the plastic lid for my zip tie tube...hmm...I cut out the centre with a hole saw to the required outer diameter to fit directly behind the crank, saw it was bang on 1.5mm wide (lucky) then used another hole saw to cut out the middle to fit over the hollowtech crank tube. My Heath Robinson spacer went on first, then the original Shimano spacer which is used to butt up properly against the BB bearing. All fitted back up, voila! Enough clearance! It's still tight, but theres enough to clear the linkage even allowing for a bit of sideways movement in the swingarm. As previously with my Hardrock, I did not find it necessary to bond/attach the PAS disc to the crank – the magnets hold it firm enough, and central too. So with the disc now sorted, I moved on to the PAS sensor. There was no way the original metal bracket was going to fit – even if I had pulled the BB bearings out, the PAS disc was now too far back towards the centre of the bike to allow the stock bracket to line up. Lots more head scratching went on and reading of this site. I found someone (d8veh I think) who had made up a metal bracket which attached directly to the BB tube and carried the PAS sensor. Lots of looking around my shed for some suitable material (I didn't have any metal sheet) led my beady eyes to the bin of all places, where I saw an old rear shelf speaker box for a car...hmm it's made of plastic (so formable) and already had right-angles (which I needed). An hour with a saw, file and Dremmel (my favourite tool ever) saw me with a suitable bracket. It then took me another hour to mould the BB section into a curve to fit the BB nicely, drill a few holes for the sensor fixing/LED and adjust the angle to get up close and personal with the PAS disc. I used double sided numberplate tape to affix it to the BB, checked it operated correctly and job done.

Then it was onto the battery mounting plate. This looked to be a right pain, as only one of the bottle bracket riv nuts lined up (they were too low down the tube to to use both) and the cable guides meant the plate had to sit away from the frame. Once again my beady eyes akin to a bird of prey scanned for anything interesting in my decrepit shed. I saw some 1” diameter nylon bar which I had used previously to make up some spacers for another job and thought ah ha! After measuring up I needed about 9mm thickness so I cut two off the bar and drilled 5mm holes through the centres. It then turned into a pain of a job though, as I also needed a recess on the bottom of the spacers to fit over the lip of the riv nuts and I also wanted to sculpt the bottom to fit the curvature of the frame to minimise battery wobble once it was all bolted up. Lots of Dremmel time ensued, offering up, re-dremmeling etc but got there in the end. I could have gone slightly thinner on the spacers but I am happy – theres about 1.5mm clearance with the bottom cable guide. Everything bolted up tight and virtually no side to side movement of the battery. I had to fit a riv nut further up the frame and I looked at trying to fit one without a proper tool which can be done but I was paranoid about making a hash of it and ruining the frame so I bought a tool for £15 off the bay and a pack of 5 riv nuts just in case. Luckily it all fitted fine first time round.

First outing yesterday and as I said at the start I am staggered by how plush the bike is. This is my first full sus bike and I can't believe how well it smooths the ride out. Even small stones/twigs are ironed out, despite the fact that when I look down it doesn't look like the shock is doing anything! The extra size in geometry is really helping me too, but the only downside is that I can now feel the shortcomings in the Marzocchi EXR forks which I had previously thought were pretty good. Oh well, onto a fork replacement soon as well then!

The OD kit continues to deliver, my only gripe being spoke tension which has been all over the place since new and although I have left it, I now have a wheel that does not run true so I need to get it to a shop to sort it out for good. It's one job I won't tackle myself but not sure where to take it – I can't say I trust Halfrauds but LBS's seem to be thin on the ground these days which is a great shame.

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
The jerry-built PAS sensor bracket. The heatshrink does run under the tape. I had to extend the wires by about an inch. Can even see my fingerprints in the plastic, I guess it might help if the bike ever gets nicked!

The PAS disc clearance - it's tight Jim but we can make it!

The plastic 'buttons' I made to space out the battery plate:

And two pics of the finished bike. I didn't realised I had captured myself in the window until I posted these! I did have shorts on...:

D

Deleted member 4366

Excellent work. I made a similar project, where I bought a Giant NRS frame with rear supension unit from Ebay for about £145 and then a Rockhopper Pro hardtail for about £400 that had everything Shimano XT and Rockshox Reba forks, so I swapped everything over to build the Giant. I had a conventional BB with Shimano Hollowtech external bearings, which is much simpler to fit a PAS to. These modern BBs with push-fit bearings always seem to be a problem, but where there's a will, there's a way to fit a PAS. I've never been defeated yet.

Nice bottle-holder. I never take a drinks bottle with me. Instead, I'll buy a can of coke in a corner shop if I get thirsty, but the bottle-holder is still very convenient for this thing that I bought. It can hold a tube, puncture kit, tyre levers, multi-tool and CO2 pump:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361682456684?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=631005467718&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
Thanks mate, and thanks again for taking the time to post a picture of that sensor bracket you made as it made my solution much easier! Good work on the build you did, there really can be some good bargains on the s/h market which is where my forks will be coming from. I do like my bottle holder and use it a lot as I hate carrying anything, and although mine also carries the pump theres no provision for tools/repair kit so I have to use a seatpost bag. I will look into the one you have, it would be a simpler and less messy solution. Cheers.

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
Wow what a fab build that you have done and it looks a nice bike
I'm sure you will have lots of fun on it, I do like the oxydrive kit, never had one problem on my hardtail.

Enjoy the ride.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Walt11

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 30, 2016
France
Hi all,

First post but I have been visiting here for some time now and found some real useful information. I have bought an RC kit about 6 weeks ago and fitted it on my wife's Decathlon B-Twin city bike. It was very easy to fit and I was pleased to find that on the left hand side of the BB there was enough space to fit the PAS disc. Everything else was really easy to fit - I just had to file the fork dropouts a bit but in all the entire process took about 2 hours from start to finish.

At first the kit worked fine and did everything I expected. it appears to be a real quality kit and is well thought out. But after about 2-3 weeks the motor started to turn off, either that or there is something else causing a loss of power to the motor.

So I have completed whatever diagnostics I can think off, there are no error messages on the display console, I have charged the battery fully, the PAS sensor light is on, removed and reconnected all cables and just cannot see what could be the issue. There is no sound or any indication that the motor is under power.

I have tried calling Oxydrive, emailed them and also used the contact form on their website. This was over a 3 week period and unfortunately have had no reply. So at this point I wonder if anyone could suggest anything else I could do to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks!

• Informative
D

Deleted member 4366

But after about 2-3 weeks the motor started to turn off, either that or there is something else causing a loss of power to the motor.
You're not giving us much to go on. what does that mean? Did the display go off? Did the battery go off? Pleas give more detail.

Walt11

Aug 30, 2016
France
You're not giving us much to go on. what does that mean? Did the display go off? Did the battery go off? Pleas give more detail.
Hi there,

Thanks for the very quick response and apologies for the lack of information.

The display is working fine and remains on without problems.
The battery is working fine - well it switches on, the integrated rear light works and the display remains on.
The PAS sensor light remains on, though at times I have noticed that it can intermittently turn off for a few seconds.

Not sure if I have missed anything?

D

Deleted member 4366

The magnet disc needs to be about 1 mm from the sensor. Are you sure that you're not touching the brakes? Resting a finger on the lever will trip the switch.

If there's a problem with the battery or its connection, the display will go off and stay off until you switch it on again, so you can discount the battery as being the cause.

Have you pressed the motor connector together all the way to the guide line?

Just a reminder with any kit not to pull the cable-ties too tight because that can damage the wires.

Walt11

Aug 30, 2016
France
I have checked and the disc is about that distance from the sensor. Since I first installed the kit (and it worked) I have not touched the disc or the sensor, Both are also firmly in place.

I would agree that the battery is not the cause.

The motor connector I have unplugged and the reconnected all the way back to the controller. I have done the same with all the other cables.

I have also consider the brakes as a possible cause and even disconnected the brake cut-off cables. I have also tested the bike on a stand to be sure the brakes are not touched at all.

But I cannot confirm or rule out damage to the wires. I did mind this guidance re cable ties in the installation document and tried to be gentle with the cable ties. As an aside I used to work a lot with fragile data cabling, some of it fiber-optic, so have seen the damage a tight bend-radius or cable tie can cause :)

D

Deleted member 4366

The motor connector that's about a foot from the motor has a guide-line to show how far to push the two sides together. Did you check that? Does the motor cut out when using the throttle?

Walt11

Aug 30, 2016
France
The motor connector that's about a foot from the motor has a guide-line to show how far to push the two sides together. Did you check that? Does the motor cut out when using the throttle?
I have gone and checked and the guide line is right up against the other side of the connector. I have also removed the connector, checked all the pins are nice and straight, lined up the arrows on both sides and connected it up again. The two connectors are again seated tightly and the guide line barely visible.

I cannot test the throttle as I have not installed it, but if will help can do so?

Ian_Fearn

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2007
Thought I'd give a quick update on mine. I forget the actual mileage now, well over 2000. The original bike was old (Specialized Tricross) when converted and its feeling its age badly now.

Around January I was getting the 06 error code occasionally. I then was unable to ride until March but since then I've commuted everyday to work and never had another problem having not touched it! Success!

I'm still having spokes fail (on the motor wheel) on a regular basis and around half have been replaced but the wheel is pretty wonky now and desperately needs a proper rebuild. The local bike shops won't touch it so at Christmas I might send it away to get it done.

Still well happy with it! If you're thinking about getting one, its highly recommended.

Walt11

Aug 30, 2016
France
Just a quick update on the issue I had. There was a problem with the hall sensor in the motor. Other than the delay in getting hold of Andrew all is good and the bike is back in action with a new motor. Thanks to Andrew for sorting this out for me.

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
Quick update on my bike - now got some Rockshox Reba Dual Airs and I took the rear wheel to Halfords to try and sort out my spoke issues for good. I said that I would prefer a full rebuild ie loosen off all the spokes and start again. They quoted £25 for this and I was happy to pay it to end my woes. When I picked it up the next day they explained their mechanic had managed to sort it all out for their usual truing fee of £10! I have spun it up and its as straight as an arrow in both planes and dish is correct too but not ridden on it yet so will post further once I have a few miles on it. Hopefully the problem with loose and noisy spokes is now put to bed.20161009_095729.jpg

daniele

Feb 7, 2016
France, Versailles
Hi,

unfortunately my motor (front wheel) from Oxydrive kit suddenly stopped to work couple of days ago.

I have used the bike for months without any problem, (the kit is still under warranty) but suddenly the motor was completely silent.

Needless to say, I haven't changed anything since last time it worked fine (last sunday).

As usual, I switch the battery on, then I power on the display but the engine is not working at all.

I don't use the PAS, always used the throttle: now when I turn the throttle nothing happens, the wheel doesn't move at all.
Tried to turn the wheel by hand, to see if in this case the wheel could start turning with the motor, no way.

I checked all connections to controller, throttle and wheel and they are perfectly in place

I have the impression that for few seconds the number 7 appeared on the top right corner of the display, but I was not able to reproduce this.

I don't think I can check easily this kit for shorts ... the pins in the connectors being SO CLOSE together, which would make a short almost certain!
I suspect the issue is with the Hall sensors, but I may be wrong.

Could you please tell me what I can do to find the source of the problem ?

I have already sent a mail to Oxydrive support (Andrew), hopefully they are coming back to me quite soon....

thanks
Daniele

• Informative