Panasonic motor

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
This is a bit of a long shot:

Does anyone have or does anyone know of a working Panasonic crank drive motor (2008 or newer 26 or 36 volt) that is for sale? I need one for my Kalkhoff Pro Connect.

They are occasionally available new on eBay and from Germany, but the cost exceeds the value of the bike. If I can't source a second hand motor, I'll probably end up buying a new one out of treacly sentiment for my first electric bike. A bike which has carried me more than 17000 miles, only breaking down once, on the day that it died. Very sad.

Reactions: mountainsport

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Shame to hear that, will keep an eye out if I see anything as the only panasonic powered bikes we sell currently have a 47v hub motor. Although KTM do have offers on from time to time and they have the panasonic crank system 36v so will see if there is anything cheap. They had some Bosch batteries at an excellent price a while back.

Reactions: tillson

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
This is a bit of a long shot:

Does anyone have or does anyone know of a working Panasonic crank drive motor (2008 or newer 26 or 36 volt) that is for sale? I need one for my Kalkhoff Pro Connect.

They are occasionally available new on eBay and from Germany, but the cost exceeds the value of the bike. If I can't source a second hand motor, I'll probably end up buying a new one out of treacly sentiment for my first electric bike. A bike which has carried me more than 17000 miles, only breaking down once, on the day that it died. Very sad.
Hi tillson I know that feeling and sorry to hear, she has never let you down before, which makes the bike much more sentimental to you. It's a pity that you cant crank her up a little to get her up and going again(FOCUS), being that she was originally a crank drive system. Hurry up and get back on the road again.:)

MS.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Have a look at the post below from last year Tillson, Martin was offering at very low prices. He may have nothing now, but he's definitely worth asking:

Panasonic unit post by Martin@e-bikeshop

Thanks flecc. I will contact Martin again.

Shame to hear that, will keep an eye out if I see anything as the only panasonic powered bikes we sell currently have a 47v hub motor. Although KTM do have offers on from time to time and they have the panasonic crank system 36v so will see if there is anything cheap. They had some Bosch batteries at an excellent price a while back.
Thanks for offering to keep an eye out. Much appreciated.

Hi tillson I know that feeling and sorry to hear, she has never let you down before, which makes the bike much more sentimental to you. It's a pity that you cant crank her up a little to get her up and going again(FOCUS), being that she was originally a crank drive system. Hurry up and get back on the road again.:)

MS.
Cheers MS. No doubt I will end up spending more on the bike than it is actually worth, but I can't bring myself to scrap it.

I actually bought a second hand Agattu with the intention of taking the motor off and using it on the Pro Connect, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Agattus are lovely well made bikes and I'm using that at the moment. (Actually prefer it to the Pro Connect). But I hope to get the other one back on the road and I will keep both. The wife likes the Agattu.

Reactions: mountainsport

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hi tillson I was just thinking and concerned about you just treat yourself go for the plung and TREAT yourself to the 47v . You know you will love it.

MS.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Tillson.
You know what I have. What do you want for yours?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Hi tillson I was just thinking and concerned about you just treat yourself go for the plung and TREAT yourself to the 47v . You know you will love it.

MS.
Hi MS, unfortunately the 47 Volt Panasonic won't help me because it's a hub motor. Bikes such as mine which have the crank drive have a specially adapted frame and this means there is no bottom bracket for the pedals. The frame just has a mounting plate which the Panasonic crank drive motor bolts onto. The motor unit casting incorporates the bottom bracket and pedals. If I were to fit a hub motor, I would have to retain the redundant lump of crank motor so that I could pedal it and that's not a very attractive solution.

Additionally, I don't think that a hub motor is the right sort of drive for me. Thanks for your thoughts though.

Tom

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Tillson.
You know what I have. What do you want for yours?
Hi Dave,

Yes, your 36 volt Panasonic crank drive unit would work on my bike and get me back on the road again.

I don't want to part with the Pro Connect because I like the bike and when I eventually find a motor, it will take over from the Agattu as my commuter again.

Apart from the Alfine 8 speed and Magura HS33 brakes, I don't think there is much value in my bike as it stands. If things change and I exhaust all options to get it going, I'll give you the frame for you to use with your motor.

Regards,

Tom

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Thanks
I hope you don't need to give it to me

Good luck

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Checked nothing amazing. Best we could do would be £380 for a 36v Panasonic crank drive motor. I would definately give Martin a call if you have not already.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Checked nothing amazing. Best we could do would be £380 for a 36v Panasonic crank drive motor. I would definately give Martin a call if you have not already.
Thanks for taking the time to check availability for me. I've sent a PM to Martin but nothing back as yet. Maybe his inbox is full or he hasn't logged on. I will ring him later.

Reactions: Electrifying Cycles

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
......... and she lives again, thank you Martin at e-bikeshop.co.uk, and thank you flecc for putting me in touch with Martin.

Martin from e-bikeshop.co.uk has sold me a 2011 26 volt Panasonic motor which I have fitted to my Pro Connect and it's back on the road again.

I have to say that Martin and e-bikeshop have been excellent to deal with, very fair and very honest. Initially Martin was unsure of the motor's pedigree so he sent it to me, without obligation to buy, so that I could try it out on my bike. I fitted it on Saturday and have been giving it a thorough test over the past few days, which happily, turned out well.

I have a lot of experience with the 2008 Panasonic motor, but virtually no experience with any other type of Ebike drive. This later 2011 motor is much more powerful than the older version and it continues to deliver a lot of power right up to cut-off, which is rather abrupt. It doesn't phase down like the 2008 model, which initially makes the motor feel crude. I have quickly adapted my riding style to suit the different characteristics of this 2011 motor and it now feels very natural to ride again. I generally like to ride above the cut off speed and this motor really catapults me away from a standstill to a point where I can take over. The hill climbing ability is phenomenal too!

Once again, thank you Martin for your straightforward helpful approach, it's been a pleasure to deal with you and I can't recommend e-bikes.co.uk enough (I don't want to gush too much, but this has to be said)! Also the ever helpful flecc for your advice, opinions and putting me in touch with Martin.

Regards

Tom

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Agreed; very good that your 2008 ProConnect lives to fight another day.

Just in case I ever need to replace the motor (Panasonic model # NUA009) on my similar bike, did the 2011 motor plug straight into the existing 2008 loom and handlebar control switch ?

Having proven that the motor was the problem, is your 20,000 mile battery back in use ??

James

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
......... and she lives again, thank you Martin at e-bikeshop.co.uk, and thank you flecc for putting me in touch with Martin.

Martin from e-bikeshop.co.uk has sold me a 2011 26 volt Panasonic motor which I have fitted to my Pro Connect and it's back on the road again.

I have to say that Martin and e-bikeshop have been excellent to deal with, very fair and very honest. Initially Martin was unsure of the motor's pedigree so he sent it to me, without obligation to buy, so that I could try it out on my bike. I fitted it on Saturday and have been giving it a thorough test over the past few days, which happily, turned out well.

Once again, thank you Martin for your straightforward helpful approach, it's been a pleasure to deal with you and I can't recommend e-bikes.co.uk enough (I don't want to gush too much, but this has to be said)! Also the ever helpful flecc for your advice, opinions and putting me in touch with Martin.

Regards

Tom
Hi Tom,

Glad we got you sorted and for a very reasonable price, good to see the bike back out on the road, it could have easily been sat there with no use for months!

Thanks for the kinds words above, always nice to hear some positive feedback of the service we provide.

Thanks to Flecc for keeping on the ball whilst I have been busy setting up our new site, I shall be back on here more often now.

Regards
Martin

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Agreed; very good that your 2008 ProConnect lives to fight another day.

Just in case I ever need to replace the motor (Panasonic model # NUA009) on my similar bike, did the 2011 motor plug straight into the existing 2008 loom and handlebar control switch ?

Having proven that the motor was the problem, is your 20,000 mile battery back in use ??

James
Yes James, it was a straight swap. The motor has three connector plugs, one of which I think is for the walk along throttle, the other two plug straight into the bike loom and all wire colours match up perfectly. I was slightly worried about the handlebar controller, but it to works perfectly with the new motor.

On standard power, my battery is on the limit for the 20 mile round trip commute.I haven't tried using the bike in low power mode yet, this is my usual setting, so the battery may have a degree of spare capacity for the task of commuting.

This motor is much more powerful than the 2008 model, so come winter time I think that I may be needing a new higher capacity battery. But I will review this as and when the need arises.

I am very pleased to keep the pro connect on the road, but at what point does it cease to become the original bike? I think I only have the frame, battery and handlebars from my original purchase!

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Hi Tom,

It's good to know that the motor replacement is straightforward.

I have always enjoyed the gentler power of my 2008 Pro Connect, but have only tried a more powerful Kalkhoff once and felt it didn't suit my long leisure rides.

Would be very interested to hear if you prefer the more powerful motor, once you get a few more miles with it.

Regards
Ken

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Well done Martin. Such service deserves rewards. Therefore a minor testimonial from me. Your are a realy good chap.
And congrats to tillson too.