PDQ wheelchair trike direct drive advice

Matthew Hutchinson

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2018
Leeds
Hi, I'm looking for advice, I have the frame from a PDQ trike which is basically a front wheel that attaches to a wheelchair and I need to buy a electric wheel for it, current versions are using 500 watt direct drive hub in a 20 inch wheel so ideally I would like to buy the same. I have been offered a wheel and all wiring from viper who build these trikes but they want £600 for that without a battery which is far more than I'm hoping to spend, can anyone recommend a wheel that would do the job.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I would tend to think that a 500 W geared front hub motor wheel with a sinewave controller and a twist throttle might work for you? What are the dropout dimensions of your fork?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I would tend to think that a 500 W geared front hub motor wheel with a sinewave controller and a twist throttle might work for you? What are the dropout dimensions of your fork?
a 500W geared hub may give out too much torque and will send the chair flying.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
a 500W geared hub may give out too much torque and will send the chair flying.
250 W-350 W then should do, the torque can be controlled by the sine wave controller.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I rebuilt / upgraded a similar trike a few year back.
It was a Heinzmann brushed motor controlled by a simple throttle. The thing run perfectly for 10 years or so with NiMH batteries.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Team Hybrid used to build these using Crystalite DD motors.

D

Deleted member 4366

I think a geared motor would be better. A Q128H would probably be perfect if you get the 201 rpm version. You might be able to use your existing controller if your present/last motor is sensored.

You can get the Q128H in a 20" wheel from BMSBattery quite cheaply. They also have other geared motors like the Bafang BPM that would also be suitable, though a bit heavier than a Q128.

If you do get a DD motor, it needs to be a special low speed one otherwise it will be very inefficient.

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I think they fit direct drive motors as it permits a reverse gear. If you don’t need reverse drive a geared motor, as mentioned above, would be fine.

Matthew Hutchinson

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2018
Leeds
Thanks to everyone for the very quick replies. I only have a frame, in fact I haven't got that until tomorrow ,so I will be buying the electrics as well. The only reason I was going for direct drive was because the viper trikes use them I believe but I'm happy to go geared if that's the general consensus.

Matthew Hutchinson

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2018
Leeds
I think a geared motor would be better. A Q128H would probably be perfect if you get the 201 rpm version. You might be able to use your existing controller if your present/last motor is sensored.

You can get the Q128H in a 20" wheel from BMSBattery quite cheaply. They also have other geared motors like the Bafang BPM that would also be suitable, though a bit heavier than a Q128.

If you do get a DD motor, it needs to be a special low speed one otherwise it will be very inefficient.
I'm in the UK, are these ok for shipping here

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
as jhruk said, do you need the reverse function?

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
As well as reverse direction, direct drive motors are also often used on mobility aids for their regenerative braking capability, used to control descents without the need for physical brakes.

Matthew Hutchinson

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2018
Leeds
I see no real need for reverse and I'm fine with good old fashion v brakes , I'm not intending on doing break neck speeds (probably a lie) I just want to be able to get over rough ground and on the beach etc.

Matthew Hutchinson

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2018
Leeds

I'm looking at these and there is a Q128 in a full kit and a Q128H which is just a hub , I just want to double check which one you mean if indeed there is any difference, cheers

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm looking at these and there is a Q128 in a full kit and a Q128H which is just a hub , I just want to double check which one you mean if indeed there is any difference, cheers

This one:

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/598-q128-48v500w-front-driving-v-brake-e-bike-motor-wheel-ebike-kit.html

With this controller, which includes a throttle and everything else:

https://bmsbattery.com/controller/698-sine-wave-controller-for-09-case-controller.html

You have to remove the battery connector on that controller and solder wires that run to any 48v battery. Alternatively, you can buy any of their batteries that include a sine wave controller. For that motor you want a controller of around 20 amps and sine wave, ideally.

Matthew Hutchinson

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2018
Leeds
This one:

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/598-q128-48v500w-front-driving-v-brake-e-bike-motor-wheel-ebike-kit.html

https://bmsbattery.com/controller/698-sine-wave-controller-for-09-case-controller.html

You have to remove the battery connector on that controller and solder wires that run to any 48v battery. Alternatively, you can buy any of their batteries that include a sine wave controller. For that motor you want a controller of around 20 amps and sine wave, ideally.
Lovely, thanks very much for you help

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
This one:

I think your kit has too much torque. The Heinzmann DD brushed motor was just about right, you can get to perhaps 10mph max loaded with a very gentle start.

Matthew Hutchinson

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2018
Leeds
This one:

Not sure if you will be able to answer this but I plan on using lead acid batteries in part to keep costs down but also because they will be mounted over the front wheel to give more traction and balance things out for hills, would you forsee and problems with that?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think your kit has too much torque. The Heinzmann DD brushed motor was just about right, you can get to perhaps 10mph max loaded with a very gentle start.
That Heinzmann brush motor was geared, not Direct Drive. It has an asymmetric single pinion drive into a peripheral hub rack and is high torque. Peak consumption from zero revs was 600 watts.