Pedelecs frum makes me feel sick

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 9, 2016
Artstu
Fair point well made. It takes 2 for a discussion / argument. I,ve replied to others points of view.
Yes ,we,ve heard my point before, we,ve also heard the counter side , probably more.
Craig or ( my spell check wont allow me to spell name correctly)
I,ve no idea about kits but my haibike comes with certification on frame saying its passed relevant laws. (EAPC) States clearly its ( nominal power) and bikes maximum powered speed. Posters suggesting such a bike is illegal because it goes over 250w are stating opinion. My Haibike is legal, as are many others,and it will remain so.

On both economic and legal issues I believe buying such a bike makes more sense. Are kits really cheaper ???

Last edited:
Reactions: mike killay

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
if you and I were stood in pub having this conversation you wouldn't dream of saying go get a life ???
I'm sure that veiled threats are not in the spirit of the forum, if indeed that's what you meant by that comment (it certainly came over that way to me!).

I'd be walking away from you too, chuckling to myself at your single-mindedness...

Can we stop feeding the trolls now please!

• Agree
Reactions: JuicyBike

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Not much info on the law page about the LCD screens,are they a off road switch or not ?
It really isn't just a flick of the switch thing as you know:

- power down
- power up and hold down specific button combination to get into configuration screens
- tab through options and change max speed
- save
- power down and back up again

A couple of minutes to change from one maximum speed to another.

Mine is set to 25 km/h + or - 5% (this is a place where non factory built bikes are actually mentioned in the regulations).

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
Artstu
Fair point well made. It takes 2 for a discussion / argument. I,ve replied to others points of view.
Yes ,we,ve heard my point before, we,ve also heard the counter side , probably more.
Then Flud that's surely enough is it not.

Reactions: Plasmadaddy

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
No, they are not. The LCD contains the settings for the kill switch, the speed limiter. When you hit the set maximum speed, the limiter kicks in and cuts the power to the motor, same as if you blip the brake levers.
Changing the preset maximum speed is legal but set it for more than 25kph is not.
The bike is legal if your motor has an EN151954 certificate and you have not tampered with the LCD.
Ask for it if you buy a kit.
I don't think the Xiongda has En151954.I recently bought a tesco's terrain classic cheap from parkers of Bolton.They must of bought them cheap ,sold as spares and repairs a few faults.God knows how that bike got En14.Do these Chinese manufactures just go down the road to the guy with some letters after his name to sign the certificates ? The En14 sticker on the TT classic was on the rack.Maybe the rack past.

• :D
Reactions: Kinninvie

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's no good saying here is a legal 250w bike/kit and for some reason it's not, may as well ride a real illegal bike.
Not really, they are very different. If you buy a kit or bike advertised as legal you have good intent. In the event of being picked up by the police, that innocent position could just get you a warning to comply in future. Even if taken to court, the magistrates would take minimal action, seeing that you were more a victim of the advertiser than anything else.

But if you choose an obviously illegal bike you could get the book thrown at you.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
It really isn't just a flick of the switch thing as you know:

- power down
- power up and hold down specific button combination to get into configuration screens
- tab through options and change max speed
- save
- power down and back up again

A couple of minutes to change from one maximum speed to another.

Mine is set to 25 km/h + or - 5% (this is a place where non factory built bikes are actually mentioned in the regulations).
It was you who said they where illegal. I"m not sure.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't think the Xiongda has En151954.

Do these Chinese manufactures just go down the road to the guy with some letters after his name to sign the certificates ?
They often don't bother with at much, the just print their own.

EN15194 can only be given to a complete pedelec, not to a kit motor like the Xionda.

Mar 9, 2016
It
I'm sure that veiled threats are not in the spirit of the forum, if indeed that's what you meant by that comment (it certainly came over that way to me!).

I'd be walking away from you too, chuckling to myself at your single-mindedness...

Can we stop feeding the trolls now please!
It honestly was not a veiled threat. It was a genuine point in an attempt to get folk to speak civilly.
But you cant resist the trolls comment?
Disagree with the mass majority and you are trolling !

Say SW should not be posting about cannabis and I,m an old fart.

Thankfully these attitudes seem in decline.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Not really, they are very different. If you buy a kit or bike advertised as legal you have good intent. In the event of being picked up by the police, that innocent position could just get you a warning to comply in future. Even if taken to court, the magistrates would take minimal action, seeing that you were more a victim of the advertiser than anything else.

But if you choose an obviously illegal bike you could get the book thrown at you.
I read similar answer on the Hot rod forum. 1932 v8 hot rod with no 1932 parts on it.Just drive it around till you get stoped ,they will just send you for a SVA.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
They often don't bother with at much, the just print their own.

EN15194 can only be given to a complete pedelec, not to a kit motor like the Xionda.
So home built need no certificates,I have EC declaration of conformity,for the batteries.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
So home built need no certificates,I have EC declaration of conformity,for the batteries.
The converted bike is legal if your motor has an EN151954 certificate and you have not tampered with the LCD. I am sure your supplier will support you in case you have troubles with the police.

Ask for it and an EN15194 sticker if you buy a kit.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Yes, there's no path to legalise a home build. The only thing we can do is comply to the same law that commercial pedelecs have to conform to.
Is that true? Is EN15194 a requirement now?

I thought the rules were just about rated power, cut out speed etc, and having a manufacturers plate?

Edit: in fact, I don't believe a plate is a requirement. The gov.UK (admittedly very poor) site says:

"It must also display one item from each of the following:

the power output or manufacturer of the motor

the battery’s voltage or maximum speed of the bike"

So, that just means what's printed on the component parts really.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2016
All laws have been designed to stop home built vehicles. Over last 15 years its got harder and harder to get stuff on road. Became almost impossible with insistence of CoC prior to MSVA. SVA was bad enough, its driven smaller kit car builders out of business.( or onto race track)
Will have same effect on ebikes eventually. ( well probably not onto track)
Under my bike.
WP_20160518_002.jpg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Is that true? Is EN15194 a requirement now?

I thought the rules were just about rated power, cut out speed etc, and having a manufacturers plate?
Not EN15194, I only meant the basic usage rules such as 250 watts motor rating and 15.5 mph assist cutoff.

As a private constructor we can add a prescribed plate, but I'm not confident it would mean anything legally. It's just a good idea to satisfy any police officer querying the bike.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Not EN15194, I only meant the basic usage rules such as 250 watts motor rating and 15.5 mph assist cutoff.

As a private constructor we can add a prescribed plate, but I'm not confident it would mean anything legally. It's just a good idea to satisfy any police officer querying the bike.
Sorry, edited my post while you were posting. The gov.UK site basically says you don't need a plate. See edited post.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry, edited my post while you were posting. The gov.UK site basically says you don't need a plate. See edited post.
Edit: in fact, I don't believe a plate is a requirement. The gov.UK (admittedly very poor) site says:

"It must also display one item from each of the following:

the power output or manufacturer of the motor

the battery’s voltage or maximum speed of the bike"

So, that just means what's printed on the component parts really.
What the gov.UK says isn't complete, as you say it is rather poor.

The full law says a manufacturer's plate must be affixed to the bike in an easily read position. Clearly that requires all the information in one prominent position and not scattered on the components.

However, manufacturers mostly don't bother, even though plating requirements have been around for 32 years.

Given that, and with no procedure for home builds to be approved, home constructors don't have to affix a plate since no law says they should.

Last edited:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
What the gov.UK says isn't complete, as you say it is rather poor.

The full law says a manufaturer's plate must be affixed to the bike in an easily read position. Clearly that requires all the information in one prominent position and not scattered on the components.

However, manufacturers mostly don't bother, even though plating requirements have been around for 32 years.

Given that, and with no procedure for home builds to be approved, home constructors don't have to affix a plate since no law says they should.
So I don't think any of that means that my home built bikes are illegal, which means I'm free to discuss them without fear of offending the pedelec Gestapo.

I shall have to find another way to upset them :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• :D
Reactions: flecc and Kinninvie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisers