Pedelecs frum makes me feel sick

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Every time I look into this thread I can understand why Dave started it:( For whatever your deity's sake give it a rest!

Jim

Reactions: JuicyBike

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Every time i look in this forum, i know beforehand exactly what i'll see posted over & over again.......It's amazing ! I must be psychic or something.
I better start buying those lottery tickets with these powers.
same here, it's not unlike staring at a washing machine, except perhaps a bit more boring.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Every time i look in this forum, i know beforehand exactly what i'll see posted over & over again.......It's amazing ! I must be psychic or something.
I better start buying those lottery tickets with these powers.
Every subject based forum is the same, simply because the same queries will keep cropping up time and time again. But that has value since theres always others seeing something and learning for the first time.

For example, I've just seen this comment from Chainring in another long thread:

"I've learned a few things from this thread...."

The point is made, there are always some seeing something for the first time.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
I can't understand why people post boring.If I see a thread I don't want to read, I don't.If I find a post not interesting I just skip.Are we not here to help each other.If I build what I think is a road legal 250w EAPC, what's boring asking if its illegal.Because if it is I may as well over volt it.

Sent from my D101 using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Sherman

PH001

Pedelecer
May 18, 2016
Harrogate, N. Yorks
I think it probably just gets a bit boring when you get more experienced with e-bikes and you fully understand them all. As a brand new member I am fascinated by most threads (particularly the ones with technical content), I just don't read any of the political ranting / illegal e-bike debate stuff. This place is an an incredible resource for people new to the scene.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
If you like the technical stuff endless sphere is a good web site.

Sent from my D101 using Tapatalk

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In respect of repetitive subjects, they are not just useful to the newer members, it's also important to remember that sites have visitors viewing. I never lose sight of the fact that I'm not just answering one person's query.

I've just this moment checked and found that there are 13 members viewing and 83 visitors.

So although a dozen regularly viewing members might find a reply to the one boringly repetitive, there's potentially new interest for those 83 dropping in to view.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
The last couple of months, this forum is dominated by the legal/illegal ebikes points of view along with claims that legal ebikes will be banned and those that dont accept that. It just goes endlessly back & forth and neither side is ever going to change their stance on the issue. Its pointless.
And because this forum is quite low on posters, these endless samey posts seem to be all the forum is about.
Its tedious, boring and dull.... and i can see it putting off any lurkers from joining.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The last couple of months, this forum is dominated by the legal/illegal ebikes points of view along with claims that legal ebikes will be banned and those that dont accept that. It just goes endlessly back & forth and neither side is ever going to change their stance on the issue. Its pointless.
And because this forum is quite low on posters, these endless samey posts seem to be all the forum is about.
Its tedious, boring and dull.... and i can see it putting off any lurkers from joining.
True, but the posts that prompted your response on the previous page weren't this type. They concerned the status of self builds which is a legitimate inquiry with definite answers, not back and forth opinions of the annoying type.

Of the 13 members and 83 visitors I mentioned, the majority will probably know little or nothing about pedelec law as the "Introduce Yourself" section posts show. Therefore such information is useful, however much it might bore regulars.

As I remarked above, repetition is true in all subject based forums. I work as an identifier of species in the Natural History Museum forum and we have exactly the same there. I'm sure the regulars are sick of seeing the frequent, often several times a day, "Is this a false widow spider" inquiries or the vast number of inquiries about very common household pests. But each time someone needs an answer and often others express thanks for an answer which solved something that had previously puzzled them.

As Craiggor said above, if a subject bores, why not just just ignore the post and move on.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
True, but the posts that prompted your response on the previous page weren't this type. They concerned the status of self builds which is a legitimate inquiry with definite answers, not back and forth opinions of the annoying type.

Of the 13 members and 83 visitors I mentioned, the majority will probably know little or nothing about pedelec law as the "Introduce Yourself" section posts show. Therefore such information is useful, however much it might bore regulars.

As I remarked above, repetition is true in all subject based forums. I work as an identifier of species in the Natural History Museum forum and we have exactly the same there. I'm sure the regulars are sick of seeing the frequent, often several times a day, "Is this a false widow spider" inquiries or the vast number of inquiries about very common household pests. But each time someone needs an answer and often others express thanks for an answer which solved something that had previously puzzled them.

As Craiggor said above, if a subject bores, why not just just ignore the post and move on.

Its true, this last round of discussions were not the run of the mill, but a specific (and well mannered) discussion on legality/non legality of home builds. I can't actually recall a constructive thread discussing this subject since the most recent round of law changes. Perhaps it would be best to start a thread with with that in mind, so that it can be discussed, updated, referred to and ignored by those disinterested?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I don't recall the subject of legality of home builds has ever been discussed. I thought everyone just took it for granted that it's legal as long as the motor has a 250W (even self made) label on it. They used to be so rare on the roads that the occasional interest is from likeminded people, not this forum police.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
If you like the technical stuff endless sphere is a good web site.
A bit too electronic nerdy. If you have no electrics or electronics background highly indigestible. Very American.

• Offensive Language
Reactions: grldtnr

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I don't recall the subject of legality of home builds has ever been discussed. I thought everyone just took it for granted that it's legal as long as the motor has a 250W (even self made) label on it. They used to be so rare on the roads that the occasional interest is from likeminded people, not this forum police.
They still are very rare on the roads compared to factory built or Chinese supermarket imports. Much the same situation as in the build your own boat world or, as you have in the UK (unique in Europe) the kit car world.

As I navigate across a national border on a weekly basis the "legal/not legal" aspect is a "no brainer" - you do not want to spend hours in a Spanish or Basque (no, they aren't the same) police station. That is why my first kit was "made in Spain", so I could send them off to the Ciclotek web site to see for themselves the "road legal" nature of the kit.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It has been mentioned a few times, but not in a separate thread. It's mainly cropped up in the type approval/SVA context and in the labelling context, and more recently in the subject of throttles on self-builds.

Basically there is no official path for approval of self builds, unlike commercial builds which have EN15194 and EC approvals.

So all we can do is ape commercial practice in complying with the amended EAPC regulations, bicycle construction regulations and type approval exemption conditions, in the hope that this is acceptable.

For self-builds with throttles there is no hope at present, since there are no current plans for an SVA, despite a type approval class for commercial builds being promised for 2018.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
It has been mentioned a few times, but not in a separate thread. It's mainly cropped up in the type approval/SVA context and in the labelling context, and more recently in the subject of throttles on self-builds.

Basically there is no official path for approval of self builds, unlike commercial builds which have EN15194 and EC approvals.

So all we can do is ape commercial practice in complying with the amended EAPC regulations, bicycle construction regulations and type approval exemption conditions, in the hope that this is acceptable.

For self-builds with throttles there is no hope at present, since there are no current plans for an SVA, despite a type approval class for commercial builds being promised for 2018.
I have a special time machine that enables me to build all of my bikes about a year ago.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
THE question is, If I take a 1940s classic bike such as a Raleigh and much admired by me in 1949 when my Uncle and Aunt bought a pair, and now add a 250w motor AND throttle, do I get Grandfather rights?
Equally, if my 2011 Tonaro breaks down, no spares are available and I fit a generic Chinese hub motor, can I keep the at present legal throttle? even though some would hold that it is a new bike.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I think that the new regulation on throttles is of interest only to manufacturers and importers, not home builders. They are the ones that have to comply because the consequences of not compying can potentially be terminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisers