Petition to increase speed assist limit on E bikes

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Then more recently Honda C50/70/90s (recently released as C125) - which my Mum had for pootling about with a top box full of bricks to balance out the shopping bags she hung on the handlebars for some odd reason.

That seems to be what folk want, an electric version of the Super Cub to ride about without tax, insurance MOT, helmet etc.

This seems to be the kind of bike that overlaps with zippier pedelecs and mopeds

Chris200

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2019
As I read it to have the electric version of a "motorbike", which they can, but at the same time avoid the obligations of third party insurance, etc. Plus gain the advantages of using it on cycleways, permitted shared use paths and bus routes as push bikes and our restricted e-bikes can.

If they they want a fast electric bike all the provisions are already there for that, so it's not just a push for faster speed, its having that without its associated obligations.
Actually my main issue is with the power regulation. I want more power to pull more cargo. A truck has more power than a car, can carry more stuff, can exceed the speed limit... but is trusted to remain in the limits. not everyone is obsessed with speed (witness the majority of car drivers). as it goes I have an overpowered motor that is capable of around 28mph but all my pas settings are set to a 15mph limit.

for sure i would like a slightly higher speed limit but really it is the power to drag things up hills that interests me. although for the life of me i cannot understand why there is not a graduated speed limit for e bikes. 15 mph is perfectly sensible in town but does anyone honestly feel like it needs to 15 on a country road in the middle of no where? personal and subjective i suppose.

Flycaster

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
I am new to the ebike scene, only got my first ebike a couple of weeks ago, I am also a motorbike rider for many years, currently have a BMW R1200GS.

IMHO I think it should stay as it is. If you want to go faster, get a motorbike. God forbid, any faster on an ebike without body armour, and if you have an accident, you are asking for trouble.

I hear the argument that you want to match the speed of traffic but, every car driver will see you as a bicycle and even if you match the speed, will try and pass you at any opportune moment.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
If you want to go faster, get a motorbike
+1
And so many of these super powered 'e-bikes' do nothing for aesthetics. It all looks somewhat cobbled together.

But its still a burgeoning market now the mainstream have a hold of the concept. So I think in the future, especially as we're moving away from fossil fueled vehicles, there will be new style cargo types more akin to a small van or trike.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I am new to the ebike scene, only got my first ebike a couple of weeks ago, I am also a motorbike rider for many years, currently have a BMW R1200GS.

IMHO I think it should stay as it is. If you want to go faster, get a motorbike. God forbid, any faster on an ebike without body armour, and if you have an accident, you are asking for trouble.

I hear the argument that you want to match the speed of traffic but, every car driver will see you as a bicycle and even if you match the speed, will try and pass you at any opportune moment.
Drivers treat my ebike like an ordinary bicycle and sometimes fail overtaking me, ahead of an island or oncoming traffic - I'm amazed this happens so often. Drivers end up having to screech to a halt to avoid a collision. I should be thankful they don't veer left and knock me off the road. Any collision happening so close to me in those circumstances, is likely to have some effect on my continued health.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If more power/torque is needed for cargo towing then use coolant in a 250w hub and give it 30/35a, one then will have ample power.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If more power/torque is needed for cargo towing then use coolant in a 250w hub and give it 30/35a, one then will have ample power.
It'd be legal too - but what sort of cooling system could one use on a hub? I'm being silly but: The guts torn out of a small beer chiller attached to the fork, and fans blowing air to cool through cold pipes and cold metal hemispheres, held pointed at both sides of the hub motor, powered directly by the ebike battery? Maybe the cold pipes could have bifurcations with a funnels on the end, to collect air as the bike moves forward? There are better ways I'm sure.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ferro fluid use to be used and only approx. 30mls is req'd.
A thread on de.forum one guy pulled over 2000w from a 250w Bafang swxk hub use don a tadpole trike and he ran it very successfully.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A thread on de.forum one guy pulled over 2000w from a 250w Bafang swxk hub use don a tadpole trike and he ran it very successfully.
That's interesting! Where in the motor did he put the ferrofluid?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

That electric pickup truck that you posted video of the other day, had a $1000 6kwh battery, perfect for my bike rack... if I had a much bigger bike rack.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That's much better than my idea lol.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A small hole is drilled in to the gear side of the motor and a plug used to seal, syringe fluid in as needed. ES or the de.forum is a good place to search.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A small hole is drilled in to the gear side of the motor and a plug used to seal, syringe fluid in as needed. ES or the de.forum is a good place to search.
Are you going to do this to your bike nealh? Looks very interesting indeed:

It's available on Amazon:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No I don't need the turbo power.
With more current one usually want's greater voltage to keep current as low as poss, that means more weight and money.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
he makes hoovers sound like jet motors id not lend him anything lol.

youngoldbloke

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
South West
An assisted speed of 20 mph would be completely realistic for lightweight e-road bikes, as used by myself and other club and sport riders who now need electrically assisted bikes. Remember such bikes still require pedalling for assistance from the motor, and it is anyway quite possible to ride such bikes above the current cut-off speed of 15.5 mph if one has the leg strength, much as non assisted road bikes are ridden. I ride an e-road bike because I have developed vascular disease which affects my leg strength. I have been riding road bikes for over 60 years and wish to be able to continue riding with club groups at their normal speeds. relatively easily. I get the impression that many objecting to the idea of an assisted speed of over 15-5 mph rarely attain even that figure, and above that heady speed only with the help of gravity!
I understand the figure of 15.5 mph/25 kph was chosen as appropriate for utility bikes when such ebikes were first introduced. Things have moved on.