Petition to increase speed assist limit on E bikes

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Things have moved on.
What hasn't moved on and will not, is that anything motorised above 25 kph (15.5mph) has to be registered as a motor vehicle. I've explained this repeatedly, including in this thread.

You can have what you want right now, but you'll have to register it, fit a number plate, have insurance and have the appropriate driving licence. You cannot avoid that when everyone else has to do it and it's why this petition is a waste of effort since it cannot happen.

Information link to page one

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I was very annoyed yesterday at being overtaken going downhill by a guy wearing lycra, riding a racer (I miss my old racer) - I was doing about 27mph and he shot past me. My gearing had topped out, I couldn't match his speed. But then we were on going uphill, and then the flat portion of the race he was unaware of happening, and I just about caught up with him before the traffic lights... :cool: A legal 15mph is slow but steady.

Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I was very annoyed yesterday at being overtaken going downhill by a guy wearing lycra, riding a racer (I miss my old racer) - I was doing about 27mph and he shot past me. My gearing had topped out, I couldn't match his speed. But then we were on going uphill, and then the flat portion of the race he was unaware of happening, and I just about caught up with him before the traffic lights... :cool: A legal 15mph is slow but steady.
my bike is geared for 35mph on the flat :p them race bikes dont stand a chance with me up there ass ;)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
plod dont care been zooming round going 30mph since 2014 :p

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
plod dont care been zooming round going 30mph since 2014 :p
Did your mate get back the remains of his bike, after crashing into that barrier at 30+mph? What's the latest?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
he did but the frame was cracked but only wanted the hub and controller anyway and no charges lol.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
he did but the frame was cracked but only wanted the hub and controller anyway and no charges lol.
WTF?!?! NO CHARGES?!?!? The plod must have thought he'd suffered enough? That can't be it - filling out paperwork might have been too difficult for them? Most coppers seem to be ex-squaddies, many of which are barely literate? (Apologies to ex-squaddies on this board, who may be the exception).

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Plus he's already snaffled the battery, ready for his next bike accident!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
we have gangs of kids on scooters round here and cause chaos and plod dont care they even get there parents to hire the fkn things for them.

why do you think i put hand guards on my bike ;)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's mad that it's only his battery that's getting charged, wow. The plod really don't care. They certainly don't care about all the more dangerous illegal electric scooters on roads either, which I see everywhere.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
we have gangs of kids on scooters round here and cause chaos and plod dont care they even get there parents to hire the fkn things for them.

why do you think i put hand guards on my bike ;)
...then all you need to worry about is your spine - get this and tell everyone you're Batman at intersections:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0205.JPG

;)

youngoldbloke

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
South West
What hasn't moved on and will not, is that anything motorised above 25 kph (15.5mph) has to be registered as a motor vehicle. I've explained this repeatedly, including in this thread.

You can have what you want right now, but you'll have to register it, fit a number plate, have insurance and have the appropriate driving licence. You cannot avoid that when everyone else has to do it and it's why this petition is a waste of effort since it cannot happen.

Information link to page one
I know - we've been here before haven't we? I know - it's not going to happen. I'm simply putting forward an alternative view from a cyclist. I can't have what I want right now - I'm not going to buy an electric motor bike, with all that entails. I'm not going to buy an ugly 25+ kg electric moped.
I wouldn't be riding an ebike if the road version wasn't available. I wouldn't be riding an e-road bike if I was still in good health.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I wouldn't be riding an e-road bike if I was still in good health.
ebikes are terrible for fitness - at least that's been my experience, I was much fitter as a slow jogger, but that's my own fault for using too high electrical assistance (to reduce knee pain) and ceasing slow jogging (which reduces knee pain), which I've restarted. Otherwise my manner of use of this ebike, will allow my fitness to further decline...

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
all i eat is crap and i dont get fat lol but with my bike you have to spin the cranks at 120rpm to get full power and use clipless peddles. :eek:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Glosguy19 MIN AGO
Police seem to have no interest from what I've seen! Recently at Longlevens School as pupils left at the end of the day. Police Officer there to check for dangerous parking I presume, which is good. However, a PRIVATE electric scooter with a "hoody" on board hurtles down the middle of the road in full view of the officer who must have seen him, but he did absolutely nothing